Next years team.

Thread starter #1
Hi all,

Now that this season is drawing to a conclusion, what are people's thoughts on next years team? Players you'd like to see return/leave? Possible signings?

Doc.

Diafol

As poor as we were tonight I would hope that any answers would be left until after the playoffs.

Hopefully we can get it together and this thread can pick up a week on Monday.

Doc97 said:
Hi all,

Now that this season is drawing to a conclusion, what are people's thoughts on next years team? Players you'd like to see return/leave? Possible signings?

Doc.
Bowns, Kurka, Hervato, Morrisette, Richardson, Martin, Haddad, Batch and Hendrikx i would definently keep.

Ocko

Bowns, Fournier, Richie, Batch, Hotham, Martin, Doucet, Haddad.

The rest are replaceable and should be, not necessarily for better players in terms of ability but in terms of their winning mentality. Sheffield aren't a better side for ability but have the arrogance and swagger of winners about them. We have nothing like that. A team of nice guys.

We need a better fourth line option. The way I look at it, would Jones and Piggott get into any other team in the league? I personally don't think so. Great guys evidentially but we come up short compared to a lot of other teams in this area.

Lord to the bench.

Electro

I'd bring the guy who sharpens the skates back, l noticed today that the skates cut the ice so well.

Everone else, l'd ask them to repay their wages and leave.

ASHIPP

Ocko said:
Bowns, Fournier, Richie, Batch, Hotham, Martin, Doucet, Haddad.

The rest are replaceable and should be, not necessarily for better players in terms of ability but in terms of their winning mentality. Sheffield aren't a better side for ability but have the arrogance and swagger of winners about them. We have nothing like that. A team of nice guy

We need a better fourth line option. The way I look at it, would Jones and Piggott get into any other team in the league? I personally don't think so. Great guys evidentially but we come up short compared to a lot of other teams in this area.

Lord to the bench.
What was defining of the Steelers' team this year was their ability to haul themselves out of their slump and focus singlemindedly and clinically on their objectives...whatever it took.

A look at their roster shows they have gamecha.gers who can influence the games...and key experienced players used to winning competitions....and therefore a winning mentality.

Our depth in British players is behind 3 of the top 5 teams. I would love to see at least one quality British player added to our roster next season. Possibly going to be one of the biggest recruitment challenges for the club this off-season.

KaneDevils said:
Ill get flamed for this but I think piggsy and cj are a bit out of depth in this league and would replace both.
Maybe I'll be joining you with the flames but I agree. Frequently we hear people say "keep all the Brits" but these two aren't up there with the quality of the rest of the team. I know they work hard when they're on but that's not enough.

tim78

I'm happy lord Iif he with us he shows passion fr the club. The playoffs are a very short for weekend and probably the most fun for fans and players. But we have a base for a great team, a new arena and hopefully players that want to be devils.
Rr
Big thanks to Tyson and any player that retires this season.

Well now that the dust has settled, it's time to conduct a post-mortem on this seasons underachieving and wholly disappointing Devils roster. I am going to ruffle a few feathers here.

Defences win Championships and post Marsh injury, we never had one. Coughing the puck up in our zone, giving Bownsy no chance was a story well told time and time again. That cost us the league!!!!! I don't want frustrated defenseman wanting to be wingers. We can get forwards for that. Hotham you may leave now, and don't close the door as their is more coming.

Leigh Salters...what did you do all season? You turned up in that first friendly against Brest and went AWOL for the rest of the season. How an eath can it reported you had an injury for most of the season and still play. don't close the door!

Hudson, typifies our too much of a run and gun defence. But that's what we brought him in for, nevertheless he quit controlling the puck, especially on PP. Sorry but follow Salters.

Lord, a man who bleeds Cardiff Devils and I respect, however he has been grossly tactical nieve and it has not helped being on the ice trying to manage his own game. Think been to pally with the players. Needs to put a suit on full time next year...or unfortunately he has no role to play in the club going froward...I mean going forward!

As much as I detest the Squeelers, they know how to close out a business end of a season. We gave them a sniff and they were in!! We can't do that, we don't have the players with a winning attitude to do that. We now need to find them!!!

And for all the sycophantic, rose colour spectacle wearers who will have you know that we finished 2nd in the league, competed in the final of the CC and reached the playoffs indicates a successful season. That is dangerous B.S. that breeds a losing, second best is acceptable mentality. I have been a DEVIL for 29 years and that is not our way! Those retired numbers hanging up would angered with that attitude.

As I said at the start, I couldn't care less if I ruffle a few feathers on here. Some feathers need to be ruffled!!

Devil May Care said:
Well now that the dust has settled, it's time to conduct a post-mortem on this seasons underachieving and wholly disappointing Devils roster. I am going to ruffle a few feathers here.

Defences win Championships and post Marsh injury, we never had one. Coughing the puck up in our zone, giving Bownsy no chance was a story well told time and time again. That cost us the league!!!!! I don't want frustrated defenseman wanting to be wingers. We can get forwards for that. Hotham you may leave now, and don't close the door as their is more coming.

Leigh Salters...what did you do all season? You turned up in that first friendly against Brest and went AWOL for the rest of the season. How an eath can it reported you had an injury for most of the season and still play. don't close the door!

Hudson, typifies our too much of a run and gun defence. But that's what we brought him in for, nevertheless he quit controlling the puck, especially on PP. Sorry but follow Salters.

Lord, a man who bleeds Cardiff Devils and I respect, however he has been grossly tactical nieve and it has not helped being on the ice trying to manage his own game. Think been to pally with the players. Needs to put a suit on full time next year...or unfortunately he has no role to play in the club going froward...I mean going forward!

As much as I detest the Squeelers, they know how to close out a business end of a season. We gave them a sniff and they were in!! We can't do that, we don't have the players with a winning attitude to do that. We now need to find them!!!

And for all the sycophantic, rose colour spectacle wearers who will have you know that we finished 2nd in the league, competed in the final of the CC and reached the playoffs indicates a successful season. That is dangerous B.S. that breeds a losing, second best is acceptable mentality. I have been a DEVIL for 29 years and that is not our way! Those retired numbers hanging up would angered with that attitude.

As I said at the start, I couldn't care less if I ruffle a few feathers on here. Some feathers need to be ruffled!!
No flame throwing here a hard read, but one that's all too familiar when it comes to our great club. There's only so many times we can stick with the close but not quite good enough story. I for one am fed up of the next season is our season attitude. When are we actually going to throw off that mindset and actually go and deliver ?!?! Big off season ahead where we need to recruit and recruit hard. Last season I feel can be masked with the challenge cup victory, this year the fun flowing hockey was replaced by a massive weight of expectancy and unfortunately the boys came up short. I for one expect a big overhaul next year. We need to resign Batch, Bowns, Ritchie and Martin. The rest I feel are replaceable. Sad to write but some are too comfortable and change is needed.

Pleximan

Straight to it....

A season that promised so much just fizzled out with barely a wimper, so so disappointing.
Getting to cup Finals and playoff weekends but losing is just getting so boring, it is not good enough.
Our great teams of the past and the great players who have lifted trophies for the Devils would not be happy with this season's capitulation, I definitely am not.

For me I would keep Bowns Batch Richardson Doucet Martin Hendrikx Fournier for sure. These guys have turned up and competed and for me are the backbone for next season.

Salters, I agree he just has not done enough, there have been too many occasions during the season when we needed a big presence on the ice and he has just been missing. Release and update with an AHL tough winger......Bissonette?

Hotham, he frustrates me! A skilled point scorer but you're not a winger, please just play solid defence without coughing up the puck in our Defensive zone?? Release.

Hervato, a good worker and plays with heart but I'm just not sure his game will suit us in IAW going forward.

Jones and Pigott, they come on and work hard but are just not good enough. They would not get onto the rosters of our rivals so we need to upgrade here. Ben Davies return??

Next season I want to see a solid mean defence in front of Bowns with Fournier as our pinching defenceman. We need a genuine tough scoring winger who will take the opposition to task if required, this position for me needs to be an experienced AHL winger, a genuine hard nosed drop the gloves tough guy who can score.

The roster needs surgery and 6 or 7 new imports of AHL standard who know how to sweat to a championship and will do what it takes to win. We need players who will go that last mile and win a championship.

Nothing less.

august04

It's one or the other for me. I still think Lord can do a good job as a player next year but it is not fair to expect him to continue to coach and play. It's simply too much on his shoulders and we've seen that pressure get to him this year. I like his passion and obvious love of the Devils but I don't want to see our head coach upset and close to tears in interviews. We need to get tough and battle hardened again, we've been too nice this season and too many players seem too comfortable here. I've watched him during games on the bench and he is not a passive coach letting his bench coaches run the game, while he concentrates on playing. He still does everything. Either he plays and gets more expertise behind the bench, or he puts the coaches suit on permanently.
As far as next season goes, sign the key Brits like Bowns, Batch, Richardson along with Martin. I'm hoping Myers will return also, he was a major loss this year. There are a few others that I wouldn't mind staying (I think Fournier is here anyway) but they're all replaceable. Major changes needed for me.

Pleximan said:
Straight to it....

A season that promised so much just fizzled out with barely a wimper, so so disappointing.
Getting to cup Finals and playoff weekends but losing is just getting so boring, it is not good enough.
Our great teams of the past and the great players who have lifted trophies for the Devils would not be happy with this season's capitulation, I definitely am not.

For me I would keep Bowns Batch Richardson Doucet Martin Hendrikx Fournier for sure. These guys have turned up and competed and for me are the backbone for next season.

Salters, I agree he just has not done enough, there have been too many occasions during the season when we needed a big presence on the ice and he has just been missing. Release and update with an AHL tough winger......Bissonette?

Hotham, he frustrates me! A skilled point scorer but you're not a winger, please just play solid defence without coughing up the puck in our Defensive zone?? Release.

Hervato, a good worker and plays with heart but I'm just not sure his game will suit us in IAW going forward.

Jones and Pigott, they come on and work hard but are just not good enough. They would not get onto the rosters of our rivals so we need to upgrade here. Ben Davies return??

Next season I want to see a solid mean defence in front of Bowns with Fournier as our pinching defenceman. We need a genuine tough scoring winger who will take the opposition to task if required, this position for me needs to be an experienced AHL winger, a genuine hard nosed drop the gloves tough guy who can score.

The roster needs surgery and 6 or 7 new imports of AHL standard who know how to sweat to a championship and will do what it takes to win. We need players who will go that last mile and win a championship.

Nothing less.
Only Martin remains for me as an import forward. Lordo as full time coach.
Keep Bownsie's, Richie, Batch. P45's for the rest

Mooney#16

Whilst not in possession of all the facts from the inside I feel wholly I equipped to pass judgement although I have my opinions.

I just hope the seasons analysis is brutally honest. There are excuses for some things this year like moving arena etc but in preparation for next season the excuses have to stop.

My one issue I think every player has to front up that psychologically they fell apart in the stretch. That leaves huge question marks over them all as professionals and I hope they grasp the magnitude of that.