peedoff

Thread starter #1
Is anyone allowed to post a slightly contentious or possibly negative statement on this forum anymore?

after a "friendly" & 2 entertaining home games on the Ice, here goes

After supporting the Devils' for the last 12 years, this is the strangest start to a season I have ever experienced. and although on Paper we have a very good team this season, I will probably not attend as many games as I am beginning to lose faith a little

Match night experience? Farting boring more like, i know that the last two attendances weren't great, but until the fights started there wasn't any real atmosphere neither
who's to blame, "match night entertainers" or the crowd themselves? bring on the dancing girls or how about this "lets just start enjoying the Hockey again". wouldn't it be good to drown out the "music"

Music. boring. FACT. the probable exception is the warm up.

Intro. crap, is this just the latest dollop or the finished item or are we going to have another peice of crap next week. It would be really nice to end this 14 month experimental period with something that works!
"WE ARE THE CARDIFF DEVILS" so can we have some of our history back please

sound system. laughable. goal replays. big deal, I can't see them from where I stand at the plexi

I go the game to watch the Hockey, not to be force fed what someone else beleives to be entertainment. Technology doesn't make a Match night; good off ice organisation, fantastic on ice action & personalities do!

I have really enjoyed two of the threee home games this season. On paper we have a really strong team and G seems to have made a reasonable home start maybe time to concentrate on less PIMs and less dump & no chase while away from home

Have we had another changeover of staff? Where is Lucy Fur? - am i missing anything else? or am I just missing something? I have obviously been living in a void somewhere

there are now quite a number of back office admin staff - more than in previous years, the club have some credible, fantastic ideas, but no delivery. I'd far rather the club spent the closed season getting the season tickets right , i'm not a season ticket holder, but some friends are and they have been having an absolute nightmare. I'd far rather the club got the players in on time

I'd far rather the club had managed to arrange some ice time for the team to train before playing an away double header that on paper we should have crucifed the opposition

would have been really nice to concentrate on getting bums on seats. so i suppose a few more warm up games would have been helpful for the team as well as the fans.

Ice Painting? A bit more than two days notice could have been given. I wanted to help but couldn't due to the short notice.

Standing season tickets - what a joke - how can you justify "selling" a position at the Plexi? what's going to happen if we get gates of up to 2500 & a lot of visiting fans?
"excuse me mr Steelers / panthers fan, can you move please? and don't crowd me, I've paid for this peice of flooring!"

no no no no no , these are not negatives, just geniune concerns and ffrustrations. add to them if you like or just delete the post.

I would like to say carry on posting, but over the past year this forum has become very neutered & the moderators seem to to be way to close to the club for my liking.
What started off as an antidote to Bobs soapbox has turned into the semi official tow the line forum, supporting the Devils administration at every opportunity.

TheStub - you are a bully, you stifle every post with your HUMOUR!
you're too upbeat my friend, you defend everything so vociforously that no-one is allowed to say their piece without being either ridiculed or pilloried.
You post every second or third post in every thread, I would expect a moderator to allow free speech without trying to direct or influence the vain of conversations

Finny - the standard answer is not to phone the club, let people have a like minded debate, good, bad or indifferent. and no, you are not being ironic.
I'm sure most people are intelligent enough to dial the club if that's what they want to do,
but from my experience of forums, people use them to feel comfortable about how they feel and if there are others out there with similar mindsets.
and yes, that means being allowed to hide behind a keyboard if necessary.

no keyboard warriors = no Forum

Mods, please feel free to ban me instantly, and or pass my details to whoever may ask for them. i'm sure someone will want to know

If you think the match night entertainment is boring then just come later and Stand outside at the breaks

I myself think the atmosphere and match night entertainment has been fantastic.

Being a flag carrier and stepping out onto the ice with that noice around you is incredible. And If you really dont enjoy the entertainment then tough. Everybody else seems to love it.

James

Administrator
peedoff said:
Is anyone allowed to post a slightly contentious or possibly negative statement on this forum anymore?
Yep, providing they follow the rules
peedoff said:
Mods, please feel free to ban me instantly, and or pass my details to whoever may ask for them. i'm sure someone will want to know
Haven't felt the need to ban anyone yet, and I see no reason too now. As for passing on your details, our Ts and Cs don't allow it. Out of interest is your agument against the-inferno or the club, or just anyone within shot ?

It's all a matter of taste, opinion and being allowed to express your view even if it is a miniority one. But the guy has a point regards match night entertainment, I have said several times in view it has taken a step backwards since mumbles got the boot, all the guy wanted was a season ticket for his mum by all accounts! The music has been very poor of late ( bar a few tracks), as mentioned on another post "were going to win" should get a better outing, what happened to the players requested signature tunes from a few seasons back?

G's team on ice = A+ V good, best team in recent years, clubs off ice organization D- and to think a certain member of staff wanted G sacked during the summer break, clear up your on mess first!

Does all this stuff really bother you that much? I turn up for the hockey thats it! I don't care about the music and stuff and our rinks atmosphere is alot better than most of the other rinks in Britain! However even if I hated the match night experience etc, I'd still turn up as I just love watching the hockey. I mean the people who don't like the music - have you ever been to Nottingham? You get to dance to the Chelsea Dagger, Cotton Eyed Joe, Zorba the Greek, Clap Clap WOooo or whatever it is every other song. Or we could have Dave Simms as our announcer :eek: Actually thinking about it that would make me never come back to hockey!

As you've asked who's to blame on the match night experience, I'd say the fans. I'm sure the DJ's would love nothing more than not having to play any music at all. They only play music when the crowd aren't chanting or the away fans are. If we concentrated on supporting the team and making sure the atmosphere was like the Sheffield game, or preferably the Challenge Cup game in the WNIR against the Blaze then I think we'd always win at home. Because nothing raises the players more in any sport than an awesome atmosphere, and if we could give them that in every game I'm confident the players would respond and raise their games too. You always notice that the players get a lift when the crowd get noisy. Also it would make the opposition scared to come and play us, even though players wouldn't admit it, not one player likes playing away from home in hostile atmospheres. I think its time we turned the big blue tent back into the Furnace!

We can all blame the lack of ice time, the long trip to Newcastle, few players only just arrived for our bad start, I have myself but the key is effort. If the players put the effort that they did into that Sheffield game with 5 players out into every other game, no one would beat us. I think they need to start watching some motivational sports movies before matches like Miracle or Rudy. :D After all we're not looking for the best players we're looking for the right ones! And the name on the front is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back! (And now I'll stop as I'm just quoting sports films :lol: )

Russky

it is my belief that the too much power is in too few hands! What is the saying ?
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Without opening to many wounds there are certain movers and shakers within the organisation that want to have absolute CONTROL over every aspect of off ice activities.I leave you to draw your own conclusions!

I agree with quite a bit of what you post.

I was going to start a thread on this myself but might aswell add it here.

As a season ticket holder I felt let down last year, we were put on a 2 year deal, and we were told "it will help the club during the off season" as well as helping us spread out the costs. There was mentions of a season ticket holders bar, where we could go before the game, period breaks and after the game... nothing came of it, now I read that the club are focusing on a student bar area...... http://www.cardiffdevils.com/NewsLatest.aspx?cpid=458
I'm all for bringing in new fans, but it's all about retention too.

We were also told that say goodbye to the players was going to be for season ticket holders only (which IMO was wrong and has no effect on us personally), but then that was changed.

We were told all season ticket holders would get a call from a devils player towards the end of the season to see what we thought about the team etc, (I remember this as Paul was dreading it) but we didn't hear anything from anyone. We haven't had anything from the club about our new season tickets, no letter, no confirmation of discounts (like we did last year), nothing. I have rang the office a few times, to be told Brent isn't here, I'll ring you back when he is (this was a while ago mind you), and nothing.

My direct debits started 4th May for this season, then stopped in August, then was taken out 2 weeks after? My friend who signed up for a family season ticket on the 2 year deal, didn't have any direct debits taken out at all until this month.....5 months later than expected. Don't get me wrong she had an apology etc.

I think the organisational part of the club (from what I have seen) has been a little poor, E.G, ice painting, lack of warm up games, lack of ice time, visa's etc. I know not all is the clubs fault, but IMO things should have been put in place to sort it out. I think the match night experience has improved 100% from last year and I can now hear the music and announcments clearly from block 9 as they have installed more speakers.

puck

I certainly agree with what Sami says. I feel that the initial "we care about our season tickets more than anything else" has been replaced with "we need new fans and a better sound system" and they have been ignored.

I have also heard rumours that a lot of the sponsors feel very let down to by the treatment they have received from the club.

There have been changes of back room and game night staff as far as can tell, but the website tells me that hasn't happened.

In short, it's all very well to have a fancy sound system, devils tv, fancy website - but the small details matter.

The ST holders and regular attenders need to be considered and they are being ignored.

I have never had such bad communication come from anywhere before. I have had cause to phone the club on several occasions this summer and the phone isn't answered, or I am told that Paul or someone called "Keira" (not on website - who is she?) or Shannon will call me back and then hear nothing. That is no way to run a business.

I tried to book a puck sponsorship on the second game of the season and went to the info desk, to be told they didn't know so I went to the DJ stand who told me to go to the info desk, who told me to go to the DJ stand who told me they were too busy to help me. Told the guy with the clipboard but he didn't seem to know either. So I called the Devils office the next weekday and left a message with someone (didn't tell me who - a girl though) who told me that they'd get back to me and they never did. The end result is that they lost out on the puck sponsorship and my dad lost out on that birthday present.

It's all very well to focus on the match night, but you need to focus on your existing customers too.

Finally, I am very happy with the on-ice product this year, just disappiointed in the offi-ce back office staff. Seems to be a case of same old same old.

Couldn't agree more Puck.
Had similar experiences...its all about priorities and this years devils staff seem to have got theirs all wrong.
I can see how to the outside world all the new stuff is great but its like painting a shiny new top coat on rust...it'll come off all too soon and then what are you left with? Yeh all you smart people out there...rust! ;)

I guess there is a lot of stuff to do but from what I can see there's a lot of balls in the air and nobody's been told which ones they should be catching.

Admin is such a key role but there doesn't seem to be anyone left at the office who have a clue about detail. Giving season ticket holders a piece of red carpet to walk over as they come through the door is NOT a new bar area! Its not a sectioned off piece of plexi for those who bought standing tickets. Its not a meet the players event...good grief who ever heard of starting the season off without a meet the players event?

Let down and disappointed by the off ice performance, that's pretty much how I feel. So much promise but so little delivery.

peedoff said:
Have we had another changeover of staff? Where is Lucy Fur? - am i missing anything else? or am I just missing something? I have obviously been living in a void somewhere

there are now quite a number of back office admin staff - more than in previous years, the club have some credible, fantastic ideas, but no delivery.
Yes, what has happened to Lucy Fur?? it's not as if it is dependent on one person being in the costume really is it? why are they not getting someone else to shove the costume on and get out on the ice - no one is irreplaceable really surely? the mascot features in so many of those videos on devils tv but isn't there for the kids.

And what happened to the people that used to work on match night. I used to go to the desk under the stairs by the DJ stand and get answers or go to the info desk and find stuff out, now it's just nameless people who don't know what's going on. I don't know the names of the people I used to deal with but I'd recognise them if they were there - suddenly they're not. Who exactly do we get information from now?

Also whilst we're on the "where has the ....gone" topic, what happened to the booster club... I thought we were meant to have meetings in places other than cardiff E.G Bridgend or Newport etc, to spread the word. And that just seemed to just go with....... Bob I think.

Finny

I really am gobsmacked that people are moaning about the start of the season.

Ok there are little things that have annoyed me this season, but they are little things.

I go to the hockey to watch and support my team. I've thoroughly enjoyed every game so far and am really looking forward to Saturdays game.
I thought the atmosphere so far this season has been really good - perhaps I am lucky that I sit in block 3 which is mainly season ticket holders and pretty close to the noisly lads at the back of block 2.
I also thought the DevilsTV stuff has been great, and I like the choice of music in games.

I'm not bothered about going to meet the players so I can pretend they are my friends. I don't want to go to a special bar where I can't drink with some of my real friends who aren't season ticket holders.

I'm guessing none of the moaners on here are fans of CCFC, The Blues or Glammy because your heads would explode at the amateurish running of those clubs.

I'm having a brilliant time so far this season. If you're not I suggest you ring the club on ......

Finny

samidevils said:
Also whilst we're on the "where has the ....gone" topic, what happened to the booster club... I thought we were meant to have meetings in places other than cardiff E.G Bridgend or Newport etc, to spread the word. And that just seemed to just go with....... Bob I think.
Through no fault of the people who were left to run it, but the Booster Club was a terrible idea setup to kill of CDSL and make Bob some money. Thankfully it disappeared along with Bob.

The new CDSL is now back and IMO is a far better setup.

puck said:
Yes, what has happened to Lucy Fur?? it's not as if it is dependent on one person being in the costume really is it? why are they not getting someone else to shove the costume on and get out on the ice - no one is irreplaceable really surely? the mascot features in so many of those videos on devils tv but isn't there for the kids.

And what happened to the people that used to work on match night. I used to go to the desk under the stairs by the DJ stand and get answers or go to the info desk and find stuff out, now it's just nameless people who don't know what's going on. I don't know the names of the people I used to deal with but I'd recognise them if they were there - suddenly they're not. Who exactly do we get information from now?
There does seem to have been a substantial turnover of off-ice staff over the past 18 months. Off the top of my head I can think of Mumbles, Lee(?) the DJ, Anne Hall, Vic Silverwood, Billie, Mackey the equipment manager and Lucy Fur. That does seem an awful lot in such a short time. :?

Finny

Peedoff - I am slightly confused as to what you want with the music/off-ice entertainment.

You say it is rubbish and should be improved. Then you seem to be suggesting that you want to just want to watch the hockey and don't want anything.

I also don't get your criticism of the intro. After a couple of weeks it settled down last year and was standard for the rest of the season. It's been tweeked a bit this year and IMO has been updated and improved.

Of course if you stand by the plexi then you can't see the TV's and so don't get the full effect. But that is your choice.

Gaz G

Finny said:
I really am gobsmacked that people are moaning about the start of the season.

Ok there are little things that have annoyed me this season, but they are little things.

I go to the hockey to watch and support my team. I've thoroughly enjoyed every game so far and am really looking forward to Saturdays game.
I thought the atmosphere so far this season has been really good - perhaps I am lucky that I sit in block 3 which is mainly season ticket holders and pretty close to the noisly lads at the back of block 2.
I also thought the DevilsTV stuff has been great, and I like the choice of music in games.

I'm not bothered about going to meet the players so I can pretend they are my friends. I don't want to go to a special bar where I can't drink with some of my real friends who aren't season ticket holders.

I'm guessing none of the moaners on here are fans of CCFC, The Blues or Glammy because your heads would explode at the amateurish running of those clubs.

I'm having a brilliant time so far this season. If you're not I suggest you ring the club on ......
Agree with this %100.
I go to the hockey to have a good time with friends (season ticket holders or not), watch the game, show my kids something different from the usual boring stuff shown on the t.v, have a beer or two, meet new people, relax, go somewhere apart from the valley's and finally have a release from the hard work i put in during the week in a stressfull job.
It's very very rare that i don't manage to achieve all of my objectives when watching the devils.
P.s after teaching 4 year olds all week, the red carpet makes me feel rather special.

Chris

Administrator
I quit work today to go back to uni, so i've drunk far tooooo much to say anything useful.

But, if you don't like the forums then don't read them.

Fact is if it wasn't for people like TheStub aka Gareth and Finny there would be no the-inferno, we rely on the hard work of the people who help us to keep the site running.

Whilst you might disagree with the way myself and James run this forum, the website and Match Night Live! we've put a hell of a lot of work and money into it to let it become what you've suggested.

The fact this thread still exists shows that we're not too close to the club to delete any 'enagtive' posts?

Infact, there's a lot going on behind the scenes you have no idea about.

I like how you ask to be banned, yet we have no need to reason to do so, your post is structured and within the rules, as much as it might annoy me that you suggest we're something akin to Steeltalk.

Whilst the club may have disappointed you, I fail to see why a couple of the moderators we have appointed should also be the subject of your rant.

We rarely do a lot of moderating on the boards, something we've received praise for in the past, TheStub and Finny are no different. Their posts may annoy you, but going by the complete lack of complaints to any of the moderating team, i'm happy to let them keep doing what they've always been doing.

Chris.

i am seriously shocked, and tbh can't even take that post seriously, i only have 1 thing to say, the library is in town and not in the bay.

come on the match night entertainment is amazing, and when the crowd get going its the best atmosphier in the uk.

i think you may want to stop watching ENL and start watching EIHL :mrgreen: (sorry to the enl guys) :twisted: