peedoff

Holl_5 said:
There does seem to have been a substantial turnover of off-ice staff over the past 18 months. Off the top of my head I can think of Mumbles, Lee(?) the DJ, Anne Hall, Vic Silverwood, Billie, Mackey the equipment manager and Lucy Fur. That does seem an awful lot in such a short time. :?
I can't speak for the others and don't want to pass comment on anything on this thread. I just wanted to clarify that I am still involved with the club, writing for the programme. I no longer do any co-ordination on match night because I am studying for my PhD full time now and can't commit the time to do the job properly, but I still write for the club every week and haven't left!

zoesdevil

peedoff said:
Is anyone allowed to post a slightly contentious or possibly negative statement on this forum anymore?

after a "friendly" & 2 entertaining home games on the Ice, here goes:-

Match night experience? Farting boring more like, i know that the last two attendances weren't great, but until the fights started there wasn't any real atmosphere neither
who's to blame, "match night entertainers" or the crowd themselves? bring on the dancing girls or how about this "lets just start enjoying the Hockey again". wouldn't it be good to drown out the "music"

Music. boring. FACT. the probable exception is the warm up.

Intro. crap, is this just the latest dollop or the finished item or are we going to have another peice of crap next week. It would be really nice to end this 14 month experimental period with something that works!
"WE ARE THE CARDIFF DEVILS" so can we have some of our history back please

sound system. laughable. goal replays. big deal, I can't see them from where I stand at the plexi
if you think our rink is bad you should go to sheffield rotherham eurological squeelers rink its so
quiet u can hear a pin drop???

peedoff said:
Is anyone allowed to post a slightly contentious or possibly negative statement on this forum anymore?

after a "friendly" & 2 entertaining home games on the Ice, here goes

After supporting the Devils' for the last 12 years, this is the strangest start to a season I have ever experienced. and although on Paper we have a very good team this season, I will probably not attend as many games as I am beginning to lose faith a little

Match night experience? Farting boring more like, i know that the last two attendances weren't great, but until the fights started there wasn't any real atmosphere neither
who's to blame, "match night entertainers" or the crowd themselves? bring on the dancing girls or how about this "lets just start enjoying the Hockey again". wouldn't it be good to drown out the "music"

Music. boring. FACT. the probable exception is the warm up.

Intro. crap, is this just the latest dollop or the finished item or are we going to have another peice of crap next week. It would be really nice to end this 14 month experimental period with something that works!
"WE ARE THE CARDIFF DEVILS" so can we have some of our history back please

sound system. laughable. goal replays. big deal, I can't see them from where I stand at the plexi

I go the game to watch the Hockey, not to be force fed what someone else beleives to be entertainment. Technology doesn't make a Match night; good off ice organisation, fantastic on ice action & personalities do!

I have really enjoyed two of the threee home games this season. On paper we have a really strong team and G seems to have made a reasonable home start maybe time to concentrate on less PIMs and less dump & no chase while away from home

Have we had another changeover of staff? Where is Lucy Fur? - am i missing anything else? or am I just missing something? I have obviously been living in a void somewhere

there are now quite a number of back office admin staff - more than in previous years, the club have some credible, fantastic ideas, but no delivery. I'd far rather the club spent the closed season getting the season tickets right , i'm not a season ticket holder, but some friends are and they have been having an absolute nightmare. I'd far rather the club got the players in on time

I'd far rather the club had managed to arrange some ice time for the team to train before playing an away double header that on paper we should have crucifed the opposition

would have been really nice to concentrate on getting bums on seats. so i suppose a few more warm up games would have been helpful for the team as well as the fans.

Ice Painting? A bit more than two days notice could have been given. I wanted to help but couldn't due to the short notice.

Standing season tickets - what a joke - how can you justify "selling" a position at the Plexi? what's going to happen if we get gates of up to 2500 & a lot of visiting fans?
"excuse me mr Steelers / panthers fan, can you move please? and don't crowd me, I've paid for this peice of flooring!"

no no no no no , these are not negatives, just geniune concerns and ffrustrations. add to them if you like or just delete the post.

I would like to say carry on posting, but over the past year this forum has become very neutered & the moderators seem to to be way to close to the club for my liking.
What started off as an antidote to Bobs soapbox has turned into the semi official tow the line forum, supporting the Devils administration at every opportunity.

TheStub - you are a bully, you stifle every post with your HUMOUR!
you're too upbeat my friend, you defend everything so vociforously that no-one is allowed to say their piece without being either ridiculed or pilloried.
You post every second or third post in every thread, I would expect a moderator to allow free speech without trying to direct or influence the vain of conversations

Finny - the standard answer is not to phone the club, let people have a like minded debate, good, bad or indifferent. and no, you are not being ironic.
I'm sure most people are intelligent enough to dial the club if that's what they want to do,
but from my experience of forums, people use them to feel comfortable about how they feel and if there are others out there with similar mindsets.
and yes, that means being allowed to hide behind a keyboard if necessary.

no keyboard warriors = no Forum

Mods, please feel free to ban me instantly, and or pass my details to whoever may ask for them. i'm sure someone will want to know
respect your right to an opinion but in mine you are wrong at the present moment. Give the powers that be a chance, really it is early days. Its been a strange start to the season with the bans etc. For me the season starts in earnest this weekend. Only Brad is missing and we have got to start picking up 3 or 4 points every weekend. If things don't improve then I'd welcome the keyboard warriors on here. If we get it right on the night i'm sure the matchnight atmosphere etc will follow.

Chris

Administrator
I've been considering this a little more, and I think i've realised that annoys me the most.
Mods, please feel free to ban me instantly, and or pass my details to whoever may ask for them. i'm sure someone will want to know
After the amount of money, time, hard work and effort we've through at the site you go and say that. You simply have no idea do you?

That you would consider us to even pass on users details to the club is not just wrong, but insulting to be honest.

If we wanted to be another Steeltalk we would have done this from the off an not bothered to plough hundreds and hundreds of pounds and man hours into the hosting and development of the site, forum and MNL.
I would like to say carry on posting, but over the past year this forum has become very neutered & the moderators seem to to be way to close to the club for my liking.
What started off as an antidote to Bobs soapbox has turned into the semi official tow the line forum, supporting the Devils administration at every opportunity.
Are we fairly close to the club? Yes.

Why? Because it makes sense to help out the club where possible, this doesn't mean the club have any control over the forums as evidence by the fact we're still 100% independant and that the club are pushing Terry Phillips MNL rather than ours.

Toe the line? What line? As far as i'm aware we rarely do any editing of posts, other than for the most obvious of insults/breakages of the rules. If toeing the line means that we have to delete threads like this, then forget it.

Perhaps you could provide us with examples of where threads have been locked/edited in such a way to help the club?

Oh wait, you can't.

I like banana's, they are a good source of potassium.

:)

You didn't need to know that.

And I didn't really need to know your personal view on some of the mods. They are real people, much like you or I. If you don't like what they say just click that little x in the top right hand corner and go do something else with your life. No point taking things to heart, its not really affecting your life in any way what Stub, Chris, Finny, or Mr Blobby have to say. You don't like what you see at the rink? Don't come. There's all these simple answers. You won't change the world by crying on here. Just deal with it and man up.

You're confusing the internet with the real world again.

I'm totally with Peedoff and Osama Bob Laden on this thread, for me these posters post only good posts and nothing else...... Arise Sir Bob Laden & Peedoff and may many more posts continue. :cool:

peedoff said:
I go the game to watch the Hockey, not to be force fed what someone else beleives to be entertainment. Technology doesn't make a Match night; good off ice organisation, fantastic on ice action & personalities do!
That is absolutely spot on in my opinion. I think there are a few people trying too hard to "create" an atmosphere at arenas around the league and it all becomes very false. From the sound of it, you are feeling the same as how a few Blaze fans have felt in the last few years. In the first few years at the Skydome, the atmosphere was very natural based on fans singing and clapping. The introductions were short and sweet, with the crowd reacting to the game and getting behind the team at the right times. Now it is all a bit overdone. Drawn out introductions, predictable "who is the loudest block" etc and music that drowns out the fans if there is any chanting. Plus my pet hate - drums. I don't get it. Fans singing together sounds great. Someone banging a drum as hard as they can to drown out everything else - no thanks. From the sound of it, you are going the same way. The WNIR had an incredible atmosphere but there were no video introductions or no over the top sound system. Just a few thousand fans singing their hearts out. I doubt we'll get atmospheres like HMR and WNIR at the SkyDome and Blue Tent but it seems to me that the more the marketing people try to "make" an atmosphere, the worse it gets :roll:

I have to be honest, I am amazed at this post - but each to themselves I guess. Peedoff is entitled to their opinion - and my opinion is that peedoff is on a different planet to the majority of people I know.

peedoff said:
I think this has been addressed enough already by the mods so no need to go over that again except to say that this forum is about as open as you can get.

peedoff said:
I will probably not attend as many games
Oh well!!!

peedoff said:

Music. boring. FACT.
I personally think the match night experience is getting better and better. I love the way the whole experience has adpated and IMPOROVED over the past couple of seasons. The last thing I wanted was to still be hearing the same things as we did back in the WNIR - don't get me wrong, I loved the WNIR experience too - but it had gotten very stale...Please can you tell me how it is FACT that the music is boring...where is your proof? I find it very entertaining, so that would suggest that your "facts" are wrong.

peedoff said:
This to me is where you totally invalidate your whole point of view. You may not like the intro, it may not be your cup of tea - that is totally your opinion, but you cannot call it crap. It is by far the best intro in the league. What do you want to do - go back to playing Devils Inside etc. It would be like me saying (as a big Liverpool fan) that Man Utd are crap - they are far from it. I don't like them obviously but I have to admit that they are one of the best footballing teams in the World, but no-one would take my point of view serious if I just called them crap.

peedoff said:
Really? The sound system is laughable eh? Granted there have been some problems from times, but this season there has been a huge improvement in the sound. Can't see a TV screen eh? Well bloody move then!!! Or do you want the organisation to hand out small portable TV's for the fans that CHOOSE to stand? Seriously, what would be your solution to this TV problem realistically?

peedoff said:
I go the game to watch the Hockey, not to be force fed what someone else beleives to be entertainment.
I suggest you turn up just before face off then - bring some head phones with you so you can listen to your own choice of music and not be "bothered" with forced-fed entertainment (probably just as well you can't see the TV screens where you are force fed the replays and DevilsTV stuff eh).

peedoff said:
Have we had another changeover of staff? Where is Lucy Fur? - am i missing anything else? or am I just missing something? I have obviously been living in a void somewhere
What does it matter if there has been a change over of staff - we change players every season - does that stop you supporting the team? Situations change, that is life. I could not care less what "staff" are running things...as long as the product is on and off the ice - This season I am very excited about as I feel for the 1st time in a very very long time that the off ice AND on ice performances will match each other and finally take the Devils to the next level.

peedoff said:
there are now quite a number of back office admin staff - more than in previous years, the club have some credible, fantastic ideas, but no delivery. I'd far rather the club spent the closed season getting the season tickets right , i'm not a season ticket holder, but some friends are and they have been having an absolute nightmare. I'd far rather the club got the players in on time

I'd far rather the club had managed to arrange some ice time for the team to train before playing an away double header that on paper we should have crucifed the opposition

would have been really nice to concentrate on getting bums on seats. so i suppose a few more warm up games would have been helpful for the team as well as the fans.
Hmm - I am guessing you really do not have a Scooby as to what goes into running a club then - well maybe you could offer your services to help out? I am sure the club are crying out for such a positive person as yourself (where is that tongue in cheek icon when you need one)

peedoff said:
Standing season tickets - what a joke - how can you justify "selling" a position at the Plexi? what's going to happen if we get gates of up to 2500 & a lot of visiting fans?
"excuse me mr Steelers / panthers fan, can you move please? and don't crowd me, I've paid for this peice of flooring!"
Why not look after the Standing Season ticket holders? Some of the most loyal and passionate Devils fans like to stand. Why can they not have the same rights as a season ticket holder that has a seat? The best advantage I have being a Season ticket holder is that I get to see the game from the same seat each week - that is my prefered choice. Some people prefer to stand on the plexi - if they are willing to pay for a season ticket then why can they not watch the game from the same bit of plexi each week?

peedoff said:
no no no no no , these are not negatives,
Nah - you are not a negative person at all are you....you are full of great positive ideas on how to improve things and I can feel you are just bursting to help the club and the team out.

From my opinion, I think G has put together a very decent team and I have no doubt that we will win more games than we will lose. Where we finish in the league only time will tell. Off ice I love the production that is put out on Game night. The work that must go into all this is phenominal. Could some things be improved? Always...it is a continued work in progress from what I can see. The bottom line is I go to the game for a nights entertainment, meet some friends and enjoy myself - all boxes ticked in my books!!!

Keep up the good work everyone involved with Game night I say, and THANK YOU

You want to know what really BAFFLES me more than anything else ever? The fact that, and someone till me if im wrong here, but i do believe this to be your first post EVER on the inferno peedoff?
Now, either you are the worlds worst keyboard warrior and use this forum on a regular basis but have created an alternative username to post this NEGATIVE post because you dont have the guts to do so on your regular username. Or you are abusing people who put a lot of time, effort and money into running this forum for us fans to have a place to discuss our views when you have never previously posted, how can you get bothered by things the moderators say if you've never said anything?
This point in itself really just invalidates any of the rubbish that has come from your post.

For me, match night entertainment is superb, best its ever been and i think the increased attendances would agree with that.
You cant complain about not being able to see the screen from standing.
The sound system is much better than its been since we came to the tent.
Why all the entertainment bothers you so much you would not come anymore to watch the hockey baffles me, the hockey is what im there for tbh and the entertainment is a bonus.

The only thing i will agree with/not disagree with is to do with the communications and finer details from the club, however, i do not contact or require any of these details myself so am going from what has been said on here. Every organisation is not perfect, they are still building it up and hopefully these things will improve.

PS. whoever mentioned the sponsorship not being happy, you may be correct but the fact most have returned for a second year would suggest something different to me.
OH and Chris, James, Finny, The Stub and whoever i have forgotten your all doing an ace job, keep it up.

drainage

As a season ticket holder I felt let down last year, we were put on a 2 year deal, and we were told "it will help the club during the off season" as well as helping us spread out the costs. There was mentions of a season ticket holders bar, where we could go before the game, period breaks and after the game... nothing came of it, now I read that the club are focusing on a student bar area...... http://www.cardiffdevils.com/NewsLatest.aspx?cpid=458
I'm all for bringing in new fans, but it's all about retention too.

This does annoy me - I am all for new fans and as most students are here for 3 or 4 years and MAY stay in Cardiff have no problem in working to attract them. I do however resent being 7 deep at our bar - ignoring the fact I have watched the team since 1986, ignoring the fact I am a season ticket holder and ignoring the fact I intend to be here for more than the next 3 - 4 years this is out of order.

If you can conjure up more bar space make it useable for all - retention is often more important than attracting the curious. The curious may simply be that and never come back

TheStub

As someone who has only made 1 home game this season, and missed the intro, I can only comment on the comparison with the rinks I normally attend. Hull and Sheffield are dire. They are silent with with awful music.

You actually are not permitted to approach the plexi in Hull.

DevilsTV is looking like it could be the thing ex-pat fans such as me have been waiting for. I'm reserving full judgement until they've had a few weeks to get it sorted.

I do take a little umbridge with the critique of the forum. As a mod, I know how light handed we are. This one of the least moderated forums I have posted on. I don't really care about your opinion of me, I post as me and you get the same views in the same style as you would if you spoke to me face to face.

The team, and in particular Chris and James, have sunk a load of time and effort to make this place such a good forum. You will not get banned for having an opinion, and you are welcome to be post whenever you want. Just be prepared for others to not agree - in most things, there is no right and wrong just opinion. That is the joy of debate, the more views the better the discussion.

Leave the dogmatism at the door, dive in and have some fun.

Russky

May I just say that I think this is the best forum of all! Chris, James and the rest of the gang (even the Mods) are doing a fine job! Keep it going!

Russky

For what its worth I think the pre game build up has improved, The 'we are the Cardiff Devils' vid is great! Some of the music is not my cup of tea but overall the effect is good!!! I Didnt like the Rev Theory song at first but its grown on me! The Devils TV innovation is good as well, as are the goal replays from different angles or the major incidents! Standing in my position at the Block 11 stairs I do get a blind spot along the boards towards the DJ corner, but the TVs are good as I can get to see what is happening NOW! I think the whole game night experience is fantastic! My issues are with certain personnel rather than the overall product of the game night experience.

Finny

nmase20 said:
You want to know what really BAFFLES me more than anything else ever? The fact that, and someone till me if im wrong here, but i do believe this to be your first post EVER on the inferno peedoff?
Now, either you are the worlds worst keyboard warrior and use this forum on a regular basis but have created an alternative username to post this NEGATIVE post because you dont have the guts to do so on your regular username.
Oh I think it is safe to say that peedoff has posted on a different username several times...... ;)

Koop11

We're all entitled to our opinions, that's something I truely believe in but I don't think I ever read such a long thought out post that I disagree with so much.

This thread smells a little fishy to me. Someone who doesn't like this club for what ever reason has posted or put someone up to post this strange message.

Can you say WUM?

Given the comments made, and the complete inaccuracy of many points you claim to know about, you are either
(a) someone with a personal vendetta against the club in general, or some staff in particluar
(b) a really really sad Sheff/Blaze/Panthers etc etc etc fan just looking to create 'a stir'
(c) a **** <self-edited for the sake of decency>.

It's possible you are more than one of the above.

Grow a pair and post under your own name.

Nothing is perfect, things take time and as others have said, if you don't like it, go elsewhere.

D.A.

I tried posting this last night, but my phone brokedted.

Finny IMO whether you want the things advertised or not doesn't matter, if something is advertised - and not given it's false information.

I have to say I like this forum and I feel it is moderated well, try steeltalk..... :roll:

Also I am enjoying the on ice stuff this year.... :)

Finny

samidevils said:
Finny IMO whether you want the things advertised or not doesn't matter, if something is advertised - and not given it's false information.
Eh?
I'm confused as to what you are referring to Sammi?
The Meet The Players night had to be cancelled due to the players flying in later than planned. It was then changed to being on the ice and in the bar after that Coventry game.

Finny said:
samidevils said:
Eh?
I'm confused as to what you are referring to Sammi?
The Meet The Players night had to be cancelled due to the players flying in later than planned. It was then changed to being on the ice and in the bar after that Coventry game.
Sorry, what I meant was: You said in your initial post that you don't care about the bar promised and pretending to be players friends (or something like that lol), and I was just saying it doesn't matter if you don't WANT or won't use the thing advertised, it's not the point if something is "promised" or "in the pipeline" and then not given...if that makes sense?? Hope so!!!

Fubar

puck said:
Yes, what has happened to Lucy Fur?? it's not as if it is dependent on one person being in the costume really is it? why are they not getting someone else to shove the costume on and get out
WTF.. :shock: ..you mean there's a person inside that costume...how gutted am i??? i thought she was real!... :cry: