Phil Osaer

voth26

jmz44 said:
basically I believe hes a waste of an import and I think stevie was better and a brit that is all, so we would have extra import upfront and ido think stevie is better in key situations osaer concedes more than 2 a game not good :DWD
Do you post on here just to annoy people, i know you have an opinion BUT for me you make comments but can never back them up, you never give examples so it's pie in the sky comments you post to try and get a reaction. as good as lyle was, when he played the puck behind the net or the game went to pens i was never confident of him making a save, granted phil would want a few back but at least i feel confident of him making saves. and there is no way lyle would have had the foresight to set up blight for the pass to mac in ot against the stingrays

Wagstaff

Ahh the mid season crisis, were not winning the league lets hang the nettie,
Ok I don't see as much of Phil O as you guys but every time you come to Coventry he does nothing but impress me.
Like Hirschy at Coventry, if he's taking so many shots, you should be expecting better from your defence.
As for the original poster that started this unworthy thread...... Maybe you should have gone to Spec Savers

Wagstaff said:
Ahh the mid season crisis, were not winning the league lets hang the nettie,
:lol: - genuinely just sat here laughing my head off. Well played Sir!

I seem to recall a similar thread appeared last year aimed at Stevie Lyle. ;:|

More stats (because I have nothing better to do than write Excel spreadsheets :oops: )

Average shots per game:

Kowalski (Nottingham): 24
Murphy (Belfast): 28 (16% more than Kowalski)
DeCaro (Sheffield): 29 (20% more than Kowalski)
Osaer (Cardiff): 31 (31% more than Kowalski)
Hirsch (Coventry) : 35 (46% more than Kowalski)

Phil's seen 31% more shots than the leading teams goaltender. With all due respect, rather than have a goalie witch-hunt, perhaps some people need to cast their critical eye further up the ice ;)

Thread starter #25
i just prefer to have a british nettie thats all dear me stop going all OTT :roll: same old inferno i just need one person diagreeing not absolutly evryone :DWD

Jones72

jmz44 said:
i just prefer to have a british nettie thats all dear me stop going all OTT :roll: same old inferno i just need one person diagreeing not absolutly evryone :DWD
Point is that you're posting your opinion to "absolutely everyone" so you can hardly expect people to read your inflammatory post and not respond!

Others have countered your point with solid evidence (statistical analysis) to back themselves up. Had you actually stated originally "I just prefer to have a British nettie" then the context of your position would have been clear.

For me, the stats speak for themselves, but I would add that the only time I have felt nervous when Phil is on the ice is when he goes walkabout into the corners. A phenomenon that I refer to as "Doing a Stevie"...which speaks for itself.

Thread starter #27
Jones72 said:
jmz44 said:
Point is that you're posting your opinion to "absolutely everyone" so you can hardly expect people to read your inflammatory post and not respond!

Others have countered your point with solid evidence (statistical analysis) to back themselves up. Had you actually stated originally "I just prefer to have a British nettie" then the context of your position would have been clear.

For me, the stats speak for themselves, but I would add that the only time I have felt nervous when Phil is on the ice is when he goes walkabout into the corners. A phenomenon that I refer to as "Doing a Stevie"...which speaks for itself.
i dont lke that people go by stats anyone remember vanderveeken he was a point a game for us:p and statistically zemlak is one of the worst goalie in the league but he has a rubbish defence infront of him. sorry for this post and if ive disheartened anyone :?

Thread starter #29
James said:
jmz44 said:
i dont lke that people go by stats
You quoted a stat in your opening post though ?
no that was me generalising and well goalies can only be judged by if they conceed but he doesnt have the most organised defence in the league infront of him

Put simply.... Phil osaer is one of the top 3 Goalies in this league.......
i have no problem when the puck is around him...
the amount of times ive watched us play and thaught he was one of the man of the matches....
and if our D dont clear the zone and leave a wide open net.... that cant be his fault!!! not knocking our quality as brits. but i would go import goalie every time!!

James

Administrator
jmz44 said:
no that was me generalising and well goalies can only be judged by if they conceed but he doesnt have the most organised defence in the league infront of him
I sense you are undermining your own argument now.

Thread starter #32
James said:
jmz44 said:
I sense you are undermining your own argument now.
i know but osaer has let a few weak goals in and im basically saying that i prefer a brit goalie thats is what im saying and i would like stevi or murohy the belfast goaltender thats alll

jmz44 said:
i dont lke that people go by stats anyone remember vanderveeken he was a point a game for us:p and statistically zemlak is one of the worst goalie in the league but he has a rubbish defence infront of him. sorry for this post and if ive disheartened anyone :?
You've not disheartened me because all I'm seeing is that you just don't like Osaer and think we should have a Brit goalie instead but you're offering next to nothing to support that statement.

I don't base my opinion or argument based on statistics alone, however they cannot be ignored especially in this instance. Further to that, I also base my observations on spending most of my time at Devils matches watching the goaltenders (and highlights from other matches and leagues too). I did the same watching NHL and other league games when I lived in Canada.

There are reasons why this years team is middle of the pack, likewise with why our goalie is seeing 31% more shots than the league leaders. You could put Jonathan Quick (LA Kings goalie - Stanley Cup winner and playoff MVP in case you didn't know) in the Devils net and he'd still get a bucket full more pucks shot at him per game. Do you not think that there's a link between solid defence ,shots per game and goals against average? Get where I'm going with this? Probably not :DWD If you think changing the goalie is going to change this teams fortunes, then you've got a lot to learn about hockey.

Murphy didn't look like a game winner in the 4-3 game when we beat the Giants at the tent recently. The Belfast defence was unusually poor in the 3rd and OT and we got the win.Do you think Murphy would play as well with the Devils D as he does the Giants D? I don't.

Rempel16

That's an excellent point about Murphy.... He's a very good shot stopper, although he gives up a lot of rebounds.

Where Muprhy excels is that his defence (in the main) recognise this and protect the rebounds.

I wouldn't swap Osaer for any goalie in the league, import or not.

Koop11

It would be fare to say Phill probably doesn't appear to have had the impact he did when he was first with us but the facts provided by Oldgolaie80 are a real eye opener and put some pespective into his performances.

I think where Phill has created debate is the odd goal he has let in which he should have had. The odd rebound as well has been a little scetchy. These are characteristics he never had when he left us back in 2009.

Having said that, our defence until Richardson arrived has been suspect, particularly at the start of the season. Phill was leaking goals and was taking some flack but I said then that this was down to defenseive errors and that is in part proven with the stats provided above.

Pound for pound, Osear for me is a better goalie than Lyle. Stevie Lyle's performance at last year's playoffs is one of, if not the best, goal tending performances I have ever witnessed but unfortunately for me that was a one off and I never felt overly confident with Lyle during the course of a season. I will eat my hat and admit that Lyle in his last stint with the Devils was better than I expected and he must be respected for his honours list which is probably better than any goalie in the Elite League today. I think however Osear has the egde and on his day is a much better goalie. I do not think replacing Osear, whether with a British netminder or not, would mean we would be any higher in the league standings. Osear is a good goalie and I don't think any goalie in the league this season has looked particularly outstanding.

KaneDevils

Correct me if I'm wrong, and don't giggle if this sounds silly, but a nettie would give up more rebounds if the majority of shots he faced were low shots right? I mean, if a goalie faced 40 high shots he is able to catch, low shots he can only pad away, meaning more rebounds. Padding away a shot is one thing, padding away a shot in a desired direction must be more difficult? Kind of in football, a GK can make a top drawer save only to parry it into the path of an onrushing striker. Bad fortune rather than bad GK?

KaneDevils said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, and don't giggle if this sounds silly, but a nettie would give up more rebounds if the majority of shots he faced were low shots right? I mean, if a goalie faced 40 high shots he is able to catch, low shots he can only pad away, meaning more rebounds. Padding away a shot is one thing, padding away a shot in a desired direction must be more difficult? Kind of in football, a GK can make a top drawer save only to parry it into the path of an onrushing striker. Bad fortune rather than bad GK?
I would have to agree with you there.

Yes Osaer has given up more rebounds this season which he didn't seem to so often when he was last with us but maybe that has more to do with the style of play of the forwards who are shooting at him? Lets be fair, there are only a handful of the same players in this league from a couple of years ago.

I have to admit. I've quite liked the thought of Osaer in a Steelers shirt ever since his first stint for you guys. Despite the fact we had the excellent Jody Lehman and now the ever improving John DeCaro.

He's a cracking goalie. The majority of teams have excellent goalies this year. Makes for some brilliant hockey.

Wannabe2

Thankfully Phil returned here, would have hated to have seen him in a Stelers shirt, you probably would be top of the league with him.

John Decaro and cracking goalie in the same sentence wound have got you burned alive on here last year but he is looking a lot better this season.

The problem with this debate is that you can only judge a goalie by stats. Even if his defence is rubbish then you can look at his shots against average. And has been pointed out Stevie was a top earning Britain for us so we wouldn't be able to afford another import outskater.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2