Posters - who's gonna print them?

Paul Sullivan

Thread starter #1
Just thought I would ask the question.

This was a request that I fully supported (to have the posters) and loved the B+W suggestion from The Stub too. So now we have them. There has been much made about the level of support the club can receive if only it asks for it and also from some quarters about the marketing (or lack thereof), so I thought some factual numbers might spark a decent debate.

The Devils emailer goes out weekly to over 5,000 unique email addresses, all of whom are either registered 'insiders' or have bought tickets for our matches.

In the previous ten emailers (and ten posters) these are the numbers of people who clicked the link to the poster. I cannot guarantee that everyone who clicked the link downloaded it and displayed it somewhere, but let's be charitable and say they did :D

In Reverse order:

Fife 7
Stingrays 7
Blaze 8
Clan 8
Panthers 11
Blaze 16
Dundee 31
Giants 12
Steelers 29
Clan 31

Totalling 160 Downloads in total. Now there was a blip when there was a poster error that was then made available through cardiffdevils.com but 10 is a decent start to look at trends.

It seems quite clear that the popularity of this enterprise is dwindling. Also if we discount the fact that on most of those there was a 'check' click from the Devils or the designers at Lime Green Tangerine and we can reduce that number to 153.

Great to see those guys doing that and I can tell you that several fans have downloaded almost every poster. So what do you think? This was a feature very much requested by the fans and supported at the time, however it does not seem to be being supported as well as it could. I thought that of the 363 email addresses we have for season ticket holders averaging 16 clicks per game seems fairly poor. Especially as - ahem - you can print them out at work in many cases....

When I look at those numbers and factor in the relatively soft response so far to the Buddy scheme (particularly at its launch, when it was originally a one game deal with plenty of notice) I am curious to find out what people think of the level of viral and practical support the fan base is offering the club at the moment? We all think of ourselves as a powerful unit, able to affect change however it seems there are a loyal few who are consistent, but nowhere near the level of troop movement that is inferred here and in conversation at the rink sometimes.

This is a genuine question and from the discussion perhaps more great ideas will unfold that can help the Devils, but I thought instead of it being based on guesswork I would throw some numbers at it.

Thoughts from the Red Army?

Re: Re: Posters - who's gonna print them?

Rhythm said:
Just thought I would ask the question.

This was a request that I fully supported (to have the posters) and loved the B+W suggestion from The Stub too. So now we have them. There has been much made about the level of support the club can receive if only it asks for it and also from some quarters about the marketing (or lack thereof), so I thought some factual numbers might spark a decent debate.

The Devils emailer goes out weekly to over 5,000 unique email addresses, all of whom are either registered 'insiders' or have bought tickets for our matches.

In the previous ten emailers (and ten posters) these are the numbers of people who clicked the link to the poster. I cannot guarantee that everyone who clicked the link downloaded it and displayed it somewhere, but let's be charitable and say they did :D

In Reverse order:

Fife 7
Stingrays 7
Blaze 8
Clan 8
Panthers 11
Blaze 16
Dundee 31
Giants 12
Steelers 29
Clan 31

Totalling 160 Downloads in total. Now there was a blip when there was a poster error that was then made available through cardiffdevils.com but 10 is a decent start to look at trends.

It seems quite clear that the popularity of this enterprise is dwindling. Also if we discount the fact that on most of those there was a 'check' click from the Devils or the designers at Lime Green Tangerine and we can reduce that number to 153.

Great to see those guys doing that and I can tell you that several fans have downloaded almost every poster. So what do you think? This was a feature very much requested by the fans and supported at the time, however it does not seem to be being supported as well as it could. I thought that of the 363 email addresses we have for season ticket holders averaging 16 clicks per game seems fairly poor. Especially as - ahem - you can print them out at work in many cases....

When I look at those numbers and factor in the relatively soft response so far to the Buddy scheme (particularly at its launch, when it was originally a one game deal with plenty of notice) I am curious to find out what people think of the level of viral and practical support the fan base is offering the club at the moment? We all think of ourselves as a powerful unit, able to affect change however it seems there are a loyal few who are consistent, but nowhere near the level of troop movement that is inferred here and in conversation at the rink sometimes.

This is a genuine question and from the discussion perhaps more great ideas will unfold that can help the Devils, but I thought instead of it being based on guesswork I would throw some numbers at it.

Thoughts from the Red Army?
I like to forward the email on to friend instead of printing. Also is there really a lack of interest in bring a buddy? Every game since that was offered I have done it, thought would go down well! Are they looking into more items for shop aswell? Bring in a little more money? I am always willing to help devils how I can, can't they maybe put a leaflet in the echo for the big games? Print the black and white version and chuck it in echo the week before? Just a suggestion

DevilDom

Paul, I'm a season ticket holder and i've registered for the Devils Insider about 3 times now and still never received one of these emails. I know you looked into it for me but still nothing has come through.

However, I'm sure I am the exception rather than the rule and the numbers are pretty damming. I did print out the 1st couple of posters when they were put on here by someone but once that stopped I didn't even realise they were still being done.

I guess maybe those of us whi are so vocal and are prepared to do something about it are in the minority though.

Finny

DevilDom said:
Paul, I'm a season ticket holder and i've registered for the Devils Insider about 3 times now and still never received one of these emails. I know you looked into it for me but still nothing has come through.
Apologies if you have already checked this, but could your email provider being filtering it out as junk/spam?

James

Administrator
DevilDom said:
I get 3 every week. Do you want one of mine :)

DevilDom

Finny said:
DevilDom said:
Apologies if you have already checked this, but could your email provider being filtering it out as junk/spam?
I thought that too but nothing in my Junk folder either.

Paul Sullivan

Thread starter #7
Re: Re: Posters - who's gonna print them?

Ingramator said:
I like to forward the email on to friend instead of printing. Also is there really a lack of interest in bring a buddy? Every game since that was offered I have done it, thought would go down well! Are they looking into more items for shop aswell? Bring in a little more money? I am always willing to help devils how I can, can't they maybe put a leaflet in the echo for the big games? Print the black and white version and chuck it in echo the week before? Just a suggestion
That is a great suggestion for coverage, however inserts into the echo can be costly and I guess I was trying to look at the more viral methods of marketing.

Paul Sullivan

Thread starter #8
James said:
DevilDom said:
I get 3 every week. Do you want one of mine :)
But I can only see you having clicked it once. Let me know if there's a problem with any of the links :lol:

Skippy

I print them and put them up in work when I can, they do annoyingly get stuck in the spam filters here for some reason so sometimes I don't them until its too late.

I'm surprised how low the uptake on looking at the looking or printing the posters is if I'm honest.

Re: Re: Re: Posters - who's gonna print them?

Rhythm said:
Ingramator said:
That is a great suggestion for coverage, however inserts into the echo can be costly and I guess I was trying to look at the more viral methods of marketing.
With help from fans and sponsors how about a app??

I struggle to find appropriate places for the posters within my home/work/gym. I've had a couple get taken down and I don't want to get the Devils in trouble with my postering.

I do however spread the word to folks through Facebook and Twitter for every game.

I have printed a couple of the posters off - but more often than not have emailed them round in work. This seems to be more effective to me, so maybe more people are doing that than printing .. ?

Have also managed to get a few people along - under Groupon initially,. and now through the Bring a Buddy. Hope this offer will be on for a while - getting a group of newbies to commit to a date can mean planning a few weeks ahead.

TheStub

I usually print a few out and put them up in work (lest I be a hypocrite ;) ). Not sure I help much being down West.

Maybe increase the poster coverage? We started posting links, but that faded (I struggle as I rarely view the forum on a computer, and can't in work). A big banner ad on the website?

Is it always the same link? Can we make it a static? Also, can we get the new poster live first thing on a Monday morning?

Final one for posters... how about a prize each week (something cheap enough like a puck sponsorship) for the poster put in the most unusual place?

Start a Flickr pool people can upload posters to, and choose a winner everyweek... show the top few and the winner on the screens during a period break? Bribery is great.

Paul Sullivan

Thread starter #15
Final one for posters... how about a prize each week (something cheap enough like a puck sponsorship) for the poster put in the most unusual place?

This has been in place since the relaunch of the posters, ten games ago. It was in the opening articles on the news sites, with a flex ticket for the best location.

Not one person ever entered.

Paul Sullivan

Thread starter #18
TheStub said:
I wasn't telegraphed well then?

Perhaps make more of it?

On a side note - I'll submit an entry this week then :D How do I do it?
A great example of how something good was done a decent competition was run to back it up, and nobody entered but it's the club's fault again.

The competition was on the website, in the programme, announced at games and on twitter / Facebook. But to be honest based on the relatively poor take up of the posters I'm not shocked nobody entered.

Not trying to have a go at you here (I can see the poster click stats remember :lol: ) but it's a decent slice of life for the Devils lately.

Fubar

Rhythm said:
Especially as - ahem - you can print them out at work in many cases....
you can print them off at work AFTER YOU ASK PERMISSION of course, is what Rhythm meant to say...isnt that right Rhythm?

Fubar

TheStub said:
I wasn't telegraphed well then?

Perhaps make more of it?

On a side note - I'll submit an entry this week then :D How do I do it?
bet i beat you too it...Can you see the Devils poster on the entrance to the Mosque here in Amman??? LOL