Prpich released...

Finny

Celticdruid said:
However its eay now to criticise a player all i am going on is fact. Fact is he was one of the best players inside of the Cardiff Devils and i think it is very harsh to just kick a player out that has given a couple of seasons to the club and has a extremely hard work ethic.

Yes he was injured for a large proportion of that but i think the best was yet to come. Has ADAMS never had disputes with players, dont get me wrong if he has committed any serious breaches then he should go, but trivial problems should be resolved.
But which is it?
You seem to be suggesting that releasing Prpich was too excessive. Yet you then suggest you don't actually know how serious the problem was - and if it was serious then he deserves to go.

I'm sure there will be rumours from both sides on whose fault it is - but the fact is that Mike has gone and we look forward to welcoming in a replacement.

Celticdruid said:
I like G as a player and he is probably a nice person off the ice, however i believe to move forward we should look at investing in a true proven coach and let Adams get back to his coaching.
How is a person to become a true proven coach if they aren't given a chance to get any experience??

As people have pointed out, no one knows exactly whats gone on so for all we know, when we find out we may agree with the decision.

I heard at that time that Shannon gave Brebant a slap.
Finny said:
John 1927/1986 said:
Wow...didn't know that. It always bugged me why Brebant left the club half way through his two year contract as I was a massive fan of his. Granted I wouldn't have swapped Shannon and everything he has done for the club (past and present) - but man I loved Brebant's skill, goal scoring and his sheer bloody mindeness to win at all costs.
John
I think the 'rumour' at the time was that the Devils were training during the summer when one of the youngsters checked Brebant. Brebant went nuts and said something along the lines of "you don't check the star of the team". Shannon and someone else (Stephen Cooper?) then pulled Brebant up on this in the changing rooms afterwards ("there are no 'stars' on this team") and it ended up with Brebant leaving the club.

S666DEU said:
I heard at that time that Shannon gave Brebant a slap.
Finny said:
John 1927/1986 said:
Wow...didn't know that. It always bugged me why Brebant left the club half way through his two year contract as I was a massive fan of his. Granted I wouldn't have swapped Shannon and everything he has done for the club (past and present) - but man I loved Brebant's skill, goal scoring and his sheer bloody mindeness to win at all costs.
John
I think the 'rumour' at the time was that the Devils were training during the summer when one of the youngsters checked Brebant. Brebant went nuts and said something along the lines of "you don't check the star of the team". Shannon and someone else (Stephen Cooper?) then pulled Brebant up on this in the changing rooms afterwards ("there are no 'stars' on this team") and it ended up with Brebant leaving the club.
Anyone else remember the Brebant song (mamma mia tune) ??
"My My Me me!!
Here's he goes again, My point I assisted that one!
Can't remember the middle bit but the last line was something about spots and biactol!! lol!

Finny

Chelios24 said:
Anyone else remember the Brebant song (mamma mia tune) ??
"My My Me me!!
Here's he goes again, My point I assisted that one!
Can't remember the middle bit but the last line was something about spots and biactol!! lol!
LOL! I don't remember that song but I do remember him always after an extra assists from goals!

And of course there was his other song.
"Oh Rick Brebant - are you listening????"

(Not sure the rest of it is suitable for a family forum?)

I remember the whole shiney/brebant thing being over a towel of brebants that shannon used in the dressing room and he lost it and it was just one too many strops. As far a ppirps goes G cant have problem with players in the off season as it will just escalates in the season and we need a solid team who get along as much as possible. I dont know who we have lined up but ive heard if it comes off we will all be SERIOUSLY happy and wont care about ppirps.

Finny

For a second then because it was in capital letterss, I thought SERIOUSLY was an anagram of a possible new player. :oops:

Absolutey gutted ! However, G is the Boss, rules on discipline are set by the Boss, any serious breaches are dealt with by the Boss, therefore you can do nothing other than back the Boss.

Thanks for the memories Mike. I only wish you could have been here for another season as cult status would have been achieved. Good luck in the future.

I don't really want to post on this subject, as it hasn't quite sunk in yet!
For me, Mike was one of those guys who you always recognise on the ice, he did it all.
Not only that, but I believe he was also the first guy in our team to commit for the 09/10 season, behind Mr Cardiff Devils (Brad Voth)
I am very shocked at this news and am very interested to see who will be brought in to replace this proven goalscorer!

I don't really agree with anything you said as its all based on information you don't have (well I guess you don't have). For all you know Hartwick may have been completely in the right or the problem might have nothing to do with Hartwick, so your statement about getting rid of both of them seems a bit stupid.

But really this comment should void the rest of you posts on here ;)

Celticdruid said:
Bring in Regan DARBY instead.

Rempel16

Celticdruid said:
Why have we retained someone like Hartwick who is completely the opposite of this. Granted he has done a lot off ice but i guess he has to earn his wages somewhere.
Out of curiosity... What do you think is so bad about Hartwick. The guy has excellent skating ability for his size, his positioning is very good, he can pass a puck (Darby didn't know what a puck was), his effectiveness to block a shot with his stick was superb and he was physically stronger than most in the league - highlighted by the way he out muscled Clouthier along the boards in our pre-season match (set the tone for the season imo).

My one (maybe two) gripes with him are that he doesn't use his size to clear the crease often enough and also he lacks a nasty streak. These two go hand in hand and if he can just build a little confidence for clearing the crease he will become even better.

Even so, like i said I believe he is very underrated amongst Devils fans, and I would probably rate him in the top five defensive d-men in the league last season. (maybe even higer - trying to think of better after Munn)

Pleximan

Merthyr Devil said:
Celticdruid said:
As a Devils fan for over 10 years i believe i want the same as any other fan, a committed team, sell out crowds, top flight hockey and success like we use to have. Surely if we keep sacking our best players we will be a long time getting this.

Why also has just PRPS gone. Surley it takes two to tango and HARTWICK should be packing his suitcase as we speak. Bring in Regan DARBY instead.
You don't know whats gone on though, most of us don't. Do you think Gerad Adams would randomly sack a player who he has shone faith in by keeping him on when injured and signing him up the following year, for no reason? Can I ask who these best players are that we keep sacking too? I'm not Hartwicks biggest fan either, I'm sure we could do better, but I'd take him over Regan Darby any day of the week.

For what its worth, its actually given me a little bit more faith in Gerad Adams. Putting his foot down, taking no nonsense. I support the team not the players. Players come and go but the club will still be here when they've all moved on. And I don't care what the players are like off the ice either providing their not bringing the Cardiff Devils name down. Seems like too many people in Cardiff want to be best buddies with the players, and base whether they like the player or not on whether the player says hi to them.
Well said Merthyr Devil, and I couldn't agree with your last sentence more!
I have been watching the Devils since '88 and I have never felt the need to buddy myself up to the players just because the play for the hockey team I support. There are certain people who obviously do feel so self important by pretending that they are great buddies with this player and that player, and you often see them at the rink striding around like they are VIP's that entitles them to jump the queue at the bar. Throat...fingers...insert!
I support the Cardiff Devils passionately and I feel no need whatsoever to question the sacking of Mike Prpich. A little disappointing maybe, but I am 100% positive that Gerad Adams has sound reasons for the action he has taken and that is backed up by the management structure. Good enough, no reason for debates, player gone, Gerad now seeking a replacement that will no doubt be another very hockey player, end of the matter!
The fact that certain people who do buddy themselves up to the players feel so bitter and upset simply amazes me. They are professional hockey players, they know the score, they play the game and hope to win a new contract for the next season or they move on. Prpich will find a new club within weeks, maybe days, and if he comes back to Cardiff as a Viper, Blaze, Capital, Stingray, then so be it. It will be good for attendance figures that the marketing dept at the club can boost by building up the 'return of Prpich'.
Gerad Adams is the coach, he is a great player who plays with passion and he wants and needs all the players to do the same. Prpich it would now seam was not going to do that next season, so G has made the absolute right decision, and that is that!

Now can the sychophants please go and cry somewhere else.

ASHIPP

Pleximan - great post. Whilst Prps was a good player, he is not irreplacable. There will be others. But the good reputation of a club cannot be replaced if it is damaged. Like I said, players are recruited not only for their skills but to represent the club off-ice. If something happens that will jeopardise the name of the club, or equally crucial, the ability of the team to play together because of personal issues, a decision has to be made. Gerad has suffered criticism for not being hard enough and decisive enough in the past - he's taken action in consultation with Matt and Shannon and it should be respected. I am sorry that Mike has left in this way after his great contribution but Prps will have a great career wherever he goes - and expect other EIHL teams are already moving in to sign him. But the Cardiff Devils organisation moves on, and so should we.

Who is going to be signed next, that's what we all want to know! :D

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #55
How exactly have we gone from Prpich being sacked, to accusing other forum members of trying to 'buddy up' to the players?

For what it's worth, I didn't read Celticdruids post as that at all, infact he's got a point. There are 2 sides to every story, so far we haven't heard either side it would seem.

All we know is that something happened and there were repercussions.

I suspect we'll never know EXACTLY what went on although we might hear bits and pieces from people on here who are getting information from one side or the other, but to get the whole story from someone neutral?

No chance.

I think this thread should be locked before someone posts something that gets us into trouble.

After spending 10+ years in the Devils dressing room I have always said

"What happens in the dressing room stays in the dressing room".

I always give you the unofficial line.

Prps has been sacked for gross mis-conduct.

The reason for gross mis-concuct is to behave in a manor that would bring disrepute to the club.

Prps is one of our key players and signings and was one of the first to re-sign.

The management (all of the devils senior management) would have been involved in the decision to let Prps go, and knowing the cost (he'll probably sign for the Squeelers now and bite us on the bum) they had to make the difficult decision of what was in the best interest of the devils.

My guess is for something to be that serious, is that a disagreement took place between Hartwick and Prps in a public place. If it had been a training incident then I believe it would have been dealt with behind closed doors, but in the public arena and the damage it could do to the Devils name as a family sport, it had to be dealt with qucikly. Who was to blame we do not know, but the management have decided to let Prps go.

It's very sad, but now we have to find someone that delivers the points Prps did over the last season.

I couldn't care less about what went on in the past with players, that's exactly where it is, in the past.

Prps was a good signing for us and we have now lost him. Fingers crossed we can get someone in good to replace him.

What's happened is sad, and a headache the management could do without. So fingers crossed Prps doesn't come back to haunt us and we get a good signing.

I'm amazed with some of the comments and discussions on here.

We know nothing at all about this other than the press release put out by the club. Comments about a fight between Prpich and Hartwick are just rumour and yet people are on here comparing the playing styles of the two and saying Hartwick should go. Are you crazy???? Seriously!!

Imagine the same scenario in a different context:

Two school children, aged 8, get in to a fight away from the playground with no witnesses. The Head Teacher decides that pupil A is to blame and excludes him from the school. People on the playground hear about this and all have a big discussion about how Pupil A was to blame but because they felt that Pupil A was more loyal to the school and would get better marks then maybe Pupil B should be excluded anyway even though the Head Teacher decided that he was not to blame for the incident.

Are you kidding me????? This is not a popularity contest. Neither is it any of our business as fans. The coach and management team have made a decision based on the evidence they have and their decision is final. For G, who is also a team mate of both the players to make a decision like this must have been very hard. However, I am sure that he would only make a decision this drastic if he had no other option.

That is all contingent on the rumour of the fight being true. We don't even know if this is the case, it's all heresay.

I for one have faith in the management team to sort things out professionally which they have done. I wish Mike all the best in finding a new team and thank him for his service to the club. let's move on.

puck said:
I'm amazed with some of the comments and discussions on here.

We know nothing at all about this other than the press release put out by the club. Comments about a fight between Prpich and Hartwick are just rumour and yet people are on here comparing the playing styles of the two and saying Hartwick should go. Are you crazy???? Seriously!!

Imagine the same scenario in a different context:

Two school children, aged 8, get in to a fight away from the playground with no witnesses. The Head Teacher decides that pupil A is to blame and excludes him from the school. People on the playground hear about this and all have a big discussion about how Pupil A was to blame but because they felt that Pupil A was more loyal to the school and would get better marks then maybe Pupil B should be excluded anyway even though the Head Teacher decided that he was not to blame for the incident.

Are you kidding me????? This is not a popularity contest. Neither is it any of our business as fans. The coach and management team have made a decision based on the evidence they have and their decision is final. For G, who is also a team mate of both the players to make a decision like this must have been very hard. However, I am sure that he would only make a decision this drastic if he had no other option.

That is all contingent on the rumour of the fight being true. We don't even know if this is the case, it's all heresay.

I for one have faith in the management team to sort things out professionally which they have done. I wish Mike all the best in finding a new team and thank him for his service to the club. let's move on.
The disagreement is more than heresay. What happened in the disagreemnt is unknown and not for us toknow. It's sad for everyone involved but the Devils will move on.