Revolving door at the NIC keeps revolving

Ocko

TheStub said:
Ocko said:
I doubt it. He is only in the ECHL at the moment, we usually pay more than average ECHL salaries. Factor in the additional fans (income) he would draw in because players like him are what draw the punters because the Eurotrash we keep spurning out is hardly capturing the imagination.
Although some fans (like me) prefer the euro style hockey. Careful not to cover everyone with the same brush.

Remember that it isn't just the cost of the salaries. Getting a player in from North America costs more. It cost more in flights, paperwork and visas. It also takes longer.

We are filling holes quickly - there is the philosophical debate about play style, but our new imports seem to me to be signed to fill holes left by injuries, not to get the crowds through the door in themselves. It would be nice to have the money to fly a guy in, but the lower the crowds the lower our funds the lower the quality we can sign.

At least we will be able to ice a full roster on the weekend, and therefore give our top guys the shorter shifts they need.
I have nothing against signing quality European players - I think Kurka is one of the best players I've seen in a Devils jersey in the EIHL but the recent signings look average at best, and that is irrelevant to where they are from. If we arent concerned about signing quality players, which evidentaly Pope isnt, and just 'fill gaps' I'd prefer us to sign a tough player to take the enforcing off duties off Plumton, keep teams honest and make space for the skilled guys.

TheStub

Ocko said:
I have nothing against signing quality European players - I think Kurka is one of the best players I've seen in a Devils jersey in the EIHL but the recent signings look average at best, and that is irrelevant to where they are from. If we arent concerned about signing quality players, which evidentaly Pope isnt, and just 'fill gaps' I'd prefer us to sign a tough player to take the enforcing off duties off Plumton, keep teams honest and make space for the skilled guys.
Finally a hockey debate, thank you :D

It depends on imports to the £ for me I guess. What we have been short of is bodies. If there is one or two gaps to fill we can sign a quality physical guy - if he is available. What I don't want is a goon. He'll just get banned, and wouldn't take the pressure off the short bench.

What I think we have done is spread our cash over a number of guys so our skill guys can get better shifts. It wouldn't shock me if Rama has taken a couple of days off work, and would be leaving soon.

TheStub

Forgot to add. If we have guys in the squad that can play on the edge of dirty, we never have to actually answer the bell. If we have a player that gets mugged we will get the other team taking hefty penalties and suspensions.

Rempel16

Agree completely with Ocko.

Like has been said elsewhere, Rama and Gipters wouldn't have been looked at twice by an EIHL team last summer, and would probably have been passed over by the top EPL teams too. So why are they suddenly good enough?

I miss the 'Cardiff Devils' that had a physical identity.

I remember once we lost a game at home, 2-0 to Sheffield Steelers- Voth took a ban for his assault on Dagenais and Maciver got involved with Sarich before Sharp and Hartwick went for it.
Adams said that's what would happen that season if team's scored two against us - we sent a message.

That season the games against the Steelers were electric and sold out.... Why? Because a genuine rivalry was built on the back of that first game. There was bad blood even in the press before each game and as a result that was probably my favourite series of games against one team in a season.

Went O/T a bit there, but boy do i miss that team - Voth, MacIver, Campbell, Prpich, Teplitsky, Hartwick, Jarvis, Latulippe, Elich.....
I wish that Ragan had been about to see the passion presented in those Devils-Steelers games, anyone got copies for him to watch?

DevilDom

Totally agree with Rempell and Ocko. Used to love those big games against the Steelers where you knew no prisoners would be taken. Most of the games meant little to the Devils in terms of the overall standings but they were always well attended because everyone knew it would be a real battle.

I don't mind looking to Europe as well as North America but please don't make us into a team that has no physicality.