Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2022/23

Diablo3

It’s a head-scratcher that’s for sure but hopefully a good problem to have. I’m still torn between the fact that there are so many of last years team that I enjoyed watching and would love to be back but if they came back, is it enough of a change to bridge the delta between us and Giants? More signings to come but the addition of Martin and re-signing Reid wasn’t really the calibre I was looking for. If they aren’t on the first line then I’m happy but first line, not for me.
Not the calibre? What sort of budget do you think we have in Cardiff? I've seen Steelers fans on Twitter saying how good our first signings are and that they will be good for 90 + goals on their own.

BostonBart22

It’s a head-scratcher that’s for sure but hopefully a good problem to have. I’m still torn between the fact that there are so many of last years team that I enjoyed watching and would love to be back but if they came back, is it enough of a change to bridge the delta between us and Giants? More signings to come but the addition of Martin and re-signing Reid wasn’t really the calibre I was looking for. If they aren’t on the first line then I’m happy but first line, not for me.
What's to say Giants new signings are gonna be better than the ones that's left in the summer, all ifs and buts until the season starts, with the team we got assembled so far I will be happy as Larry if we are in touching distance of the league come January

moggy#9

For me it's not so much a question of how many goals are scored, as to when we score them. If a team decides to clog up the slot and prevent cross ice passes, how will Reid get a shot off? In those circumstances we need someone who can muscle it out with a 6'4" defenceman to take away sightlines and get the dirty rebounds. I just don't see that from a Martin, Reid, Crandall line.

terry hunt

We dont know what the Giants ambitions are.
They are in the CHL and i wonder how important it is to them.They could go for a more european style of play.
Keefe has had years of experience coaching GB so should have a good knowledge of the methods of european teams and lots of contacts.
There could be some personal ambitions involved he has reached his peak in the UK.

Finny

I'm not sure I agree with the argument that you need a physical winger to play alongside Martin and Reid. Yes when Martin first joined us he had Lordo on his wing but after that?
Benti? Pope?
Not sure you can describe either of them as being that much more physical than Crandall?

I said before that I think we were getting a bit ahead of ourselves to think Dixon would play 3rd line. Suggesting Crandall would play 3rd line is IMO doing the same thing.

If Crandall does return it would be alongside Martin and Reid IMHO.

E.D.S.

Not the calibre? What sort of budget do you think we have in Cardiff? I've seen Steelers fans on Twitter saying how good our first signings are and that they will be good for 90 + goals on their own.
I was looking for a more two way player - the Cougler type - than a stand still waiting for a one timer player. A Joey Martin 3 years ago won’t cost the same as a Joey Martin now in my opinion so not entirely sure your point about budget is relevant here.
As for the Steelers getting excited… we get excited about everyone else’s signing too. Wait until the Giants start signing players and everyone makes a song and dance about them on here. Doesn’t mean anything. Nobody wins anything on paper.
Reid will probably go on to top the scoring charts and smash all goal scoring records in the process to prove what little I know.

Devil94

I was looking for a more two way player - the Cougler type - than a stand still waiting for a one timer player.
If we signed 10 Brodie Reids then you would have a point. But the guy has one of the best shots we have seen in a Devils jersey. No he's not the most mobile but if he skated like Trevor Cox he wouldn't be in the UK right now. As Dupont said, a no brainer to get him back, and on paper Martin is the perfect guy to play with him.

moggy#9

If we signed 10 Brodie Reids then you would have a point. But the guy has one of the best shots we have seen in a Devils jersey. No he's not the most mobile but if he skated like Trevor Cox he wouldn't be in the UK right now. As Dupont said, a no brainer to get him back, and on paper Martin is the perfect guy to play with him.
I don't think that anyone is doubting that side to his game. What's more at issue is that to score, he needs to get the puck, and I'm sure a lot of teams will have spent time thinking about how to recruit and adopt tactics to stop him.

The great thing about finding the right combination of players is that they become greater than the sum of their parts.

For the devils to succeed I think they need to have more facets to their game. At times their going to have to just grind out ugly results.

jenks33

I'm not sure I agree with the argument that you need a physical winger to play alongside Martin and Reid. Yes when Martin first joined us he had Lordo on his wing but after that?
Benti? Pope?
Not sure you can describe either of them as being that much more physical than Crandall?

I said before that I think we were getting a bit ahead of ourselves to think Dixon would play 3rd line. Suggesting Crandall would play 3rd line is IMO doing the same thing.

If Crandall does return it would be alongside Martin and Reid IMHO.
For me i don’t mind Reid-Martin-Crandall on a line if we find out Cox and/or Sanford aren’t coming back and we’re adding a bit of size to that line. I do worry a bit if our top two lines are Reid-Martin-Crandall and the CCS line.

It’s personal preference though. I’m not saying those lines definitely won’t work, Christ there’s enough talent on those lines isn’t there?! I’ve just got a fear we will be crying out for a physical presence in those top 6 forwards.

Last edited:

moggy#9

For me i don’t mind Reid-Martin-Crandall on a line if we find out Cox and/or Sanford aren’t coming back and we’re adding a bit of size to that line. I do worry a bit if our top two lines are Reid-Martin-Crandall and the CCS line.

It’s personal preference though. I’m not saying those lines definitely won’t work, Christ there’s enough talent on those lines isn’t there?! I’ve just got a fear we will be crying out for a physical presence in those top 6 forwards.
Physical doesn't necessarily mean dropping the gloves. It's about winning the physical battles, be that taking up a position in the crease, driving to the net, or taking a beating to retain the puck. The more ways we have to win, the harder it will be for our opponents to counter.

jenks33

Am I right in think Giants had no physical toughness in their forwards last season.
Well they didn't have any out and out toughness but i'm not suggesting we need a fighter or anything like that. If you look at their top 3 lines i think i'm right in saying (i might be wrong) only Goodwin was under 6ft. Most of them were 6ft bang on, Mark Cooper is 6ft 2.

Some people may disagree but I think they had a few more swiss army knives than we did. If they needed to tough it out they could and they also had the skill. Our forward group was smaller than there's across the 3.5/4 lines.

Last edited:
Well they didn't have any out and out toughness but i'm not suggesting we need a fighter or anything like that. If you look at their top 3 lines i think i'm right in saying (i might be wrong) only Goodwin was under 6ft. Most of them were 6ft bang on, Mark Cooper is 6ft 2.

Some people may disagree but I think they had a few more swiss army knives than we did. If they needed to tough it out they could and they also had the skill. Our forward group was smaller than there's across the 3.5/4 lines.

When you look at all the teams, going by averages, most of them are very similar. In fact, the average height for the devils 2nd only to the Steelers

Belfast Giants 183.00 cm / 6'0". 84.39 kg / 186 lbs.
Cardiff Devils 183.95 cm / 6'0". 87.23 kg / 192 lbs.
Coventry Blaze. 183.17 cm / 6'0". 84.29 kg / 186 lbs.
Dundee Stars 183.50 cm / 6'0". 86.82 kg / 191 lbs
Fife Flyers 183.00 cm / 6'0". 83.27 kg / 184 lbs
Glasgow Clan 183.00 cm / 6'0". 85.91 kg / 189 lbs
Guildford Flames 180.64 cm / 5'11" 83.09 kg / 183 lbs.
Manchester Storm 181.82 cm / 6'0". 84.73 kg / 187 lbs.
Nottingham Panthers 182.65 cm / 6'0". 85.52 kg / 189 lbs.
Sheffield Steelers 185.00 cm / 6'1". 86.31 kg / 190 lbs

jenks33

When you look at all the teams, going by averages, most of them are very similar. In fact, the average height for the devils 2nd only to the Steelers

Belfast Giants 183.00 cm / 6'0". 84.39 kg / 186 lbs.
Cardiff Devils 183.95 cm / 6'0". 87.23 kg / 192 lbs.
Coventry Blaze. 183.17 cm / 6'0". 84.29 kg / 186 lbs.
Dundee Stars 183.50 cm / 6'0". 86.82 kg / 191 lbs
Fife Flyers 183.00 cm / 6'0". 83.27 kg / 184 lbs
Glasgow Clan 183.00 cm / 6'0". 85.91 kg / 189 lbs
Guildford Flames 180.64 cm / 5'11" 83.09 kg / 183 lbs.
Manchester Storm 181.82 cm / 6'0". 84.73 kg / 187 lbs.
Nottingham Panthers 182.65 cm / 6'0". 85.52 kg / 189 lbs.
Sheffield Steelers 185.00 cm / 6'1". 86.31 kg / 190 lbs
Interesting. Is that the whole roster though? I was talking about the forwards. Still interesting though, i wouldn't have guessed we were second. I'd be shocked if our group of forwards were up there in height and weight.

ASHIPP

For me it's not so much a question of how many goals are scored, as to when we score them. If a team decides to clog up the slot and prevent cross ice passes, how will Reid get a shot off? In those circumstances we need someone who can muscle it out with a 6'4" defenceman to take away sightlines and get the dirty rebounds. I just don't see that from a Martin, Reid, Crandall line.
Watch GOAT over the last 6 years....he scored goals at critical times, won games on his own and handled much bigger, heavier, better defencemen than those playing in our league last season. Anyone playing on his line will improve. Somehow, Joey will be just fine. ;)

I'm sure other teams will be saying the same thing about our 6'4" + defencemen outmuscling them and blocking their sightlines!

Last edited:

Mazzoak

I don't think that anyone is doubting that side to his game. What's more at issue is that to score, he needs to get the puck, and I'm sure a lot of teams will have spent time thinking about how to recruit and adopt tactics to stop him.

The great thing about finding the right combination of players is that they become greater than the sum of their parts.

For the devils to succeed I think they need to have more facets to their game. At times their going to have to just grind out ugly results.
One of the criticisms of last year was our guys trying too hard for pretty goals, sometimes it’s more important to just get the net……..
The other issue, potentially, the team that appears to be returning is speed and skill, great, speed & skill doesn’t work well with big and bulky though. We‘ll see how the lacking in scoring in the early days of last season pans out this season, now that our guys have been seen, I’m expecting Sheffield & Belfast too counter that threat.

E.D.S.

Matter of opinion. One I don’t agree with but respect it. He’s a long way from being one of the best shots in a Devils jersey. He just isn’t my kind of player but my opinion counts for zip. There are plenty of players in this league that have his shot and are more mobile. There’s even Brits that have it. I don’t agree that they wouldn’t be in the UK if they could skate but we all see different things in different players.