Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2023/24

Devils86

Whilst I understand the presumption of all the Brits being re-signed comes from the PR interview, do we actually think we will retain all 6? I can't see the organisation passing up the opportunity to skate an extra import when one of the major benefits of having Bowns all these years has been the ability to skate an 'extra' import...

We could of course carry a spare all season but again that's not like us.

Looking at things completely pragmatically and leaving emotion and sentiment at the door if we drop to 5, who goes?

Only way it would be Waller would be if he has a better offer.

Wont be Bowns, rumour we multi year deal.

Richardson - could retire but doubt it this summer, still the best Brit D man around

Duggan - surely not. Got an A last time around and has been tipped as a long term Devil.

Davies - perfect on the 4th line and PK

Batch - erm....PR historically not a fan

Just flagging that Mosey signing doesn't mean he's definitely going on D and paired with Batch.

For the record I hope Lou is retained for this season, has shown zero reason to be let go. And we would be much the poorer for it.

Also in true Devils style I expect the 6pm announcement to be all 6 Brit's retained and for me to once again show that I know nothing!

jenks33

Whilst I understand the presumption of all the Brits being re-signed comes from the PR interview, do we actually think we will retain all 6? I can't see the organisation passing up the opportunity to skate an extra import when one of the major benefits of having Bowns all these years has been the ability to skate an 'extra' import...

We could of course carry a spare all season but again that's not like us.

Looking at things completely pragmatically and leaving emotion and sentiment at the door if we drop to 5, who goes?

Only way it would be Waller would be if he has a better offer.

Wont be Bowns, rumour we multi year deal.

Richardson - could retire but doubt it this summer, still the best Brit D man around

Duggan - surely not. Got an A last time around and has been tipped as a long term Devil.

Davies - perfect on the 4th line and PK

Batch - erm....PR historically not a fan

Just flagging that Mosey signing doesn't mean he's definitely going on D and paired with Batch.

For the record I hope Lou is retained for this season, has shown zero reason to be let go. And we would be much the poorer for it.

Also in true Devils style I expect the 6pm announcement to be all 6 Brit's retained and for me to once again show that I know nothing!
Batch is the obvious choice. Like you said just because PR mentioned all the brits in his interview they may have not wanted to mention Batch leaving until his Testimonial was out of the way. I've got a feeling he's staying though. If not Batch then Duggan would be second on my list. I can't see that happening as they've used Duggan on social media for some of next seasons returning sponsors etc.

Mooney#16

I fully understand people’s opinions in respect of Lou and that he deserves the utmost respect for what he has done for and achieved with the club. He’s also a stand out person off ice.

However professionally I do get a sense his time with the Devils could be done. I don’t buy into this deterrent line with Lou. There are no deterrents in hockey anymore. Lou simply has no dance partners. No takers. Players need to play tough themselves as no one is protecting them. That’s modern hockey. Enforcement has been reffed out of it. Devils are no more bullied or intimidated than other teams. Last year however there were games though where Devils simply lost the physical battle by not pushing back strongly enough in games and came out second best. Let’s be honest Lou is a reactionary enforcer where as I think Devils could massively benefit from pro active intimidation in their game to get them on the front foot. Fournier was a nut job but achieved way more in intimidation tactics than Lou did. Not knocking Lou for it. He’s a class act with a strong code but you have to be honest about that dynamic.

So therefore I have to look at Lou the player. What is his defensive play like. If I’m honest he ices the puck too much for my liking. Misses quite a few first passes. He’s not the best or most technical of hitters. He isn’t the quickest in the turn when faced with a speeding winger. I can see things you might want to upgrade as a coach.

Now I’m not saying this in an attack on Lou but is roster spot is justifiably vulnerable by professional standards. And I think last year the bear baiting fans were very much in the show some teeth and behave like winners manner towards the club. Not renewing Lou’s contract might be one of those tough decisions winners have to take of head over heart.

Devil94

I wouldn’t say it would show in the stats of games. It comes from visibly seeing players not sticking up for each other, playing within themselves and, perhaps most importantly, opposition taking runs at players.

CC quarter final second leg was the biggest case in point. Louis wasn’t playing and it was very evident that the Steelers were aware. There were cheap shots all over the place and culminated in Sam Jones, a third pairing Brit, taking a run at Joey Martin, our star guy.

I agree that we need a guy who can contribute, but that toughness is very much still needed for me.
Sure you can pick out one or two individual examples, but for me it wasn't a running issue throughout the season. And it hasn't been for many seasons. Belfast, Guildford and Sheffield didn't have anybody close to as tough as Mark but they were better than us, and didn't suffer from that physically from what I saw.
I think having some team toughness is very important, but having individual players as tough as Mark is not needed these days. A defenseman which contributes more in other areas and dare I say younger would be more valuable to us going forward. In my opinion.

Todays signing might be Adam Cracknell as Player/Assistant Coach.
Canadian ✔️
Steve King known to be a big fan ✔️
Big name signing ✔️
Plenty of experience ✔️

RedDevil17

Todays signing might be Adam Cracknell as Player/Assistant Coach.
Canadian ✔️
Steve King known to be a big fan ✔️
Big name signing ✔️
Plenty of experience ✔️
Can’t see it. Although 37, last year he was the Captain of the Tucson Roadrunners which is the AHL affiliate of the Arizona Coyotes and put up 53 points in that league so very unlikely

Steve King has mentioned being outbid on him before so he must know of our interest in him. And at 37, 38 by time league starts he’s probably looking at where his next steps outside of playing will be, which we could offer Uni or assistant coaching deal whichever he would prefer. Also isn’t Mikkelson now working for one of King’s companies ? Could be an offer for Cracknell too.
I agree I am wishful thinking but would be good

Earnie

A signing to impress those sitting on the fence for a decision on renewal of season ticket before the deadline expires!

Last edited:

SteveKing

I love the speculation on Cracknell. We are indeed good friends and we are co-owners of the Cranbrook Bucks Junior A team (along with Scott Niedermeyer who alas is also not going to play for us!). But Cracks is not going to be coming over to join us. I had hoped so a few years ago but it looks like he's going to keep playing in North America until he stops playing.

I love the speculation on Cracknell. We are indeed good friends and we are co-owners of the Cranbrook Bucks Junior A team (along with Scott Niedermeyer who alas is also not going to play for us!). But Cracks is not going to be coming over to join us. I had hoped so a few years ago but it looks like he's going to keep playing in North America until he stops playing.
Thanks for the update. Any hints as to who the signing today is, or any future signings?

Pleximan

Louis has been a very loyal servant and was a fantastic player at this level. If he doesn't come back then I won't have many complaints as I think the timing is right to move on. Don't want to go a season too long and could tell last year he wasn't the player he used to be. Would be good if he can stay at the club in some capacity.

I don't think we need a like for like replacement, a big body sure but not someone of that toughnes level. It's rather wasted in today's game. I would prefer someone like Rymsha who is big but can contribute more offensively.

As for Crawford, I couldn't disagree more with the rather silly post above. He's at the top of my list for returnees.
I have to agree that I think it is perhaps time for Louis to move on, he has been a great servant of the club and will always be well remembered as a great Devil, but I do think that we need to replace his toughness with toughness, I fear we will only get pushed around if we do not have the nuclear deterrent.
I also agree Crawford should be re-signed, his offensive upside is too good not to and i can only see his game improving under the coaching of Pete Russell who I'm sure will get the best out of him. As for Wannabe's juvenile post above, very silly it's just the latest foolish post from him.
No he wouldn't provide the toughness that Louis did, but would provide more in other, more important areas.
I don't buy the argument that we're being bullied or there's liberties being taken against us. It's being said almost every season and from what I've seen it's very rarely the case. The stats would agree with that too, with number of fights, PIMS etc.
But it's not necessarily about PIMs or actually fighting though, if you have a player of size and presence that in itself is enough to deter opposition agitators and cheap shot artists if they know that their own actions will draw a reaction. Mark Louis didn't have to be involved in fighting, his presence offered that policeman role to his teammates. Whereas I agree that the role of enforcer is dimished it certainly is still a very important component of the team. I would shudder to think what would happen if we didn't have at least 1 tough player. Many times in the past we saw a feisty chip in their shoulder Coventry team come into Cardiff and hit us all over the place....because they knew they could get away with it. Teams will not take those liberties if they know that they will be held to account for them. It's not always about PIMs, it's about offering that presence which is a deterrent.