Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2023/24

Finny

I'm not really sure what the point of this post is, this is a forum for people to talk about their views and discuss ideas and opinions, good and bad, that is what a forum is. Are you suggesting that everyone should stop posting on here?
We generally don't have hours and hours of time to watch game tape of every player before we intend to make a comment on them as we have other distractions like work, family, life.
With more and more posts, opinions and contributions from different posters this forum generally produces a nicely balanced and rounded debate, that's good isn't it?
The point of the post was to talk about their views. As you yourself pointed out.

If they think that some comments on here are laughable then they should be able to post that - but then explain why they think that. Which is exactly what they did.
And for what it’s worth, I thought they put a very good argument forward to back it up.

Also a very interesting suggestion that Kozun played less games after Euan King’s arrival. I hadn’t even considered that a reason.

kettdevil1

I have to laugh at this forum’s views on netminding at times. Many say how they’d love to see Cowley here from Angers - watched him maybe 3 times? Maybe stood on his head for a weekend but do you know how he goes the rest of the season? Probably not but we’d love him here. Fast forward 6 months and everyone prob digging him out. Now we’re happy to take Brodeur from Storm…I remember he played extremely well one game against us, but then saw on a Storm feed they were quite happy not to have him back….a team who will fight for a play off spot when 8 teams get it in a 10 team league. Guess it just shows we’re all armchair fans really and should leave it to the experts eh?
It's an interesting argument and with due respect to everyone on the forum, I would trust Euan King and PR on nettie issues more than anyone on here :)

Cowley is an interesting one, I have seen quite a bit of him in the last few years whilst watching the Ligue Magnus and he's always impressed. His numbers postseason also inspire confidence as he tends to be better then than in the regular season which always encourages me he is a big game player. It's also interesting that the Reid PR mentioned that Cowley was returning but nothing on EP which is generally pretty hot on these things so maybe the deal isn't done yet....

I can't see him coming here to share duties with Bowns, surely he would want to be the official starter but..... would be good.

Brodeur is a different issue. I have only seen him against us and he has been good enough each game. His career seems to be that of a back up so I can see an argument that he might come to Cardiff to share duties with Bowns.

Pleximan

The point of the post was to talk about their views. As you yourself pointed out.

If they think that some comments on here are laughable then they should be able to post that - but then explain why they think that. Which is exactly what they did.
And for what it’s worth, I thought they put a very good argument forward to back it up.

Also a very interesting suggestion that Kozun played less games after Euan King’s arrival. I hadn’t even considered that a reason.
Well I don't know where I said that they shouldn't be able to post? I merely alluded to the idea that most people do not have the benefit of being able to sit down and watch hours of game tape in order to have an informed opinion on a player before posting a comment about them.
So for people who like the idea of Boucher coming to Cardiff, why can they not have that opinion and post it? Do they need to be suitably qualified by studying game reels on him to be able to post without it being deemed laughable?
If people want to post their preferences on who they would like to see in a Devils jersey, why can't they?

kettdevil1

Well I don't know where I said that they shouldn't be able to post? I merely alluded to the idea that most people do not have the benefit of being able to sit down and watch hours of game tape in order to have an informed opinion on a player before posting a comment about them.
So for people who like the idea of Boucher coming to Cardiff, why can they not have that opinion and post it? Do they need to be suitably qualified by studying game reels on him to be able to post without it being deemed laughable?
If people want to post their preferences on who they would like to see in a Devils jersey, why can't they?
I don't think anyone is saying they can't.....

The Brodeur rumour does appear to be coming out of the tweet from the Devils yesterday, Can't find any other basis for it so unlikely it will happen but... I have heard of worse ideas.

RedDevil17

For once we agree with each other

kettdevil1

Brodeur put up one decent game against us. If his Dad wasn’t Martin Brodeur I would guarantee you most people on this forum wouldn’t mention him.
That's harsh - I am presuming you are referring to the game up in Altrincham where he faced a barrage and kept them in it - but the other games he has played against the Devils he has been decent and a 0.917 average, AHL experience and 0.907 and over at every club he has been at suggests a nettie that's pretty decent.

Having said that, I still think the rumours started from a wild guess

TL91

I'm not really sure what the point of this post is, this is a forum for people to talk about their views and discuss ideas and opinions, good and bad, that is what a forum is. Are you suggesting that everyone should stop posting on here?
We generally don't have hours and hours of time to watch game tape of every player before we intend to make a comment on them as we have other distractions like work, family, life.
With more and more posts, opinions and contributions from different posters this forum generally produces a nicely balanced and rounded debate, that's good isn't it?
Just comparing apples to apples.

TL91

Not saying that whatsoever…just applying context. People can be very quick to jump to conclusions (good and bad). I don’t watch hours of tape; far from it. Just saying some on here seem to be desperate for say Cowley and I merely questioned how much we’d seen of him other than a couple of weekends. That was all! I don’t watch the French league so can’t comment on his performance, standard and therefore relevance of his numbers. Really didn’t think a post like this would get so many people’s backs up!

I do hope the club have lined up a decent NM. Taran was the better goalie last season and has been moved on so fingers crossed it's an upgrade on him. Any names been mentioned?

jenks33

I do hope the club have lined up a decent NM. Taran was the better goalie last season and has been moved on so fingers crossed it's an upgrade on him. Any names been mentioned?
As somebody else mentioned the other day I think it’s going to be difficult for us to attract a top goalie to the club with Bowns still on the roster. The dream is for us to sign a proven number one goalie that is happy to battle with Bownsy all season for the starting spot but I can’t see it happening. Not just because a proven goalie will want to start the majority of games but the unofficial salary cap is still there according to Steve King (well for 9 out of the 10 teams anyway) so I can’t see us using a hefty chunk of our budget on two goalies. I still expect us to sign a decent goalie but I think fans will be disappointed if they’re expecting a top, proven goalie. Hope I’m wrong tho!

moggy#9

I wouldn't be surprised if a new goalie comes from a reference from lordo, or from PR's knowledge of players in Europe. I just hope that we don't sign someone as a clear understudy to bowns.

moggy#9

As somebody else mentioned the other day I think it’s going to be difficult for us to attract a top goalie to the club with Bowns still on the roster. The dream is for us to sign a proven number one goalie that is happy to battle with Bownsy all season for the starting spot but I can’t see it happening. Not just because a proven goalie will want to start the majority of games but the unofficial salary cap is still there according to Steve King (well for 9 out of the 10 teams anyway) so I can’t see us using a hefty chunk of our budget on two goalies. I still expect us to sign a decent goalie but I think fans will be disappointed if they’re expecting a top, proven goalie. Hope I’m wrong tho!
This argument makes sense. Unfortunately with bowns as our clear number one I think that we're tying one hand behind our backs.

jenks33

This argument makes sense. Unfortunately with bowns as our clear number one I think that we're tying one hand behind our backs.
If a proven import goalie is looking for a gig in the lower leagues in Europe and the Devils come calling you wouldn’t blame them for thinking “right they’ve got GB’s number 1 goalie, he’s played there for 7 seasons, played 40 odd games in all comps last season, am I going to be playing second fiddle to their blue eyed boy there”

Earnie

Some might argue that we have a top goalie. We are looking for a good back up.
(Which in reality we already had!)
I don’t have the answer to this one.

jenks33

Some might argue that we have a top goalie. We are looking for a good back up.
(Which in reality we already had!)
I don’t have the answer to this one.
It's a tricky one isn't it? I look at some of the clear number 1 goalies for their sides last season (Greenfield, Owen) and they started 53/54 league games. In my opinion i don't see Bowns starting that many league games for us (I suppose he could do if our defence is hugely improved on last season) so you have to have another decent goalie on your books. That's why when people throw Brython Preece's name into the mix i just think no chance. I totally get why people wanted to keep Kozun but personally i've always questioned whether he's got the minerals to be a number one goalie for a top side in this league. But having said that can we attract a better goalie than Kozun with Bowns on our books?

I'm not anti Bowns at all but in an ideal world i would probably want a number 1 import goalie in the same class as a Besko/Carruth (And i'm not saying Bowns isn't good he's just not in the same class as those two in my opinion) alongside a young/hungry goalie that's happy to play the CC games plus the odd home league match vs Dundee/Fife/Manchester. Much like Kozun was when we signed him

Last edited: