Signings/Departures Thread - All Teams 2023/24

Wannabe2

How did you feel about Lord and how did you feel about Dupont?

I used to like Lordo but I also want to give Dupont a chance. We need stability and not changes again.[/QUOTE]
There was nothing stable about this team this season, far far from it, if we would have been stable we would have challenged for the league.

Devil94

To be fair with only a few weeks to go we were well in contention for the league.

I agree with the opinion that we need stability. A change of coach, whoever he is, is no guarantee of better results or better hockey. We can't go changing a coach every time we don't win anything, there's no chance to build on anything as we start again every year.

In his first year as coach, Adam Keefe's Belfast finished 5th, only 2 points ahead of Fife, and they didn't make it to the play off weekend. Can't imagine Belfast fans would have been happy with that, but they stuck with him and he was able to build what he has achieved.

I'm not wholly opposed to a new coach if it's the right person but it shouldn't be a knee jerk reaction, which I'm sure it won't be with Todd and the owners. If it was down to me I would keep Dupont for another year but change the assistant, Dixon would be good, so would Chris Culligan who looks to be out of a job at the minute. An experienced old head would be good but will be tough to get an experienced guy to be an assistant at this level.

moggy#9

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but sometimes I honestly don't understand them. It's been said many times, the problem with Dupont is his inability to recognise and resolve problems. The embarrassment of a powerplay is just the most glaring example. The level of unpreparedness and lack of motivation has also hurt the team.

We might not have finished 20 points behind Belfast in the league, but we were miles behind them in terms of capability - particularly once they revamped their squad. During the final viaplay put up a graphic of the regular season ranking of both teams in various categories. Belfast were first in almost everything, the devils were 6th to 8th. That is unacceptable and down to Dupont and horn. There's not been one crumb off evidence that they've improved or could do anything better given another year.

voth26

Not everyone rated Lord, although he’d bleed for the Club, so that gave him a more than fighting chance, if his player ethic transferred to coaching it was worth the punt. Lord as a player was a Devil, simple as that and fans love him, still do.
Dupont on the other hand, was a pathetic body on the ice, injury or not, he was capable of training, dressing and skating, so why he couldn’t play his position, unless it was his eyes & brain that stopped working. Sorry the injury is a poor excuse, he should’ve been benched, he wasn’t, so those making decisions on his fitness didn’t have an issue icing him. I’m not a coach but in my career role, if a person isn’t capable of doing their role, I’m not going to make excuses and promote them, help them if needed, sure, sure as hell wouldn’t put them in a role they aren't capable off, that’s poor management, simple as that.
Do you EVER post anything remotely positive, you think you know everything but in actual fact you know nothing

Rempel16

To be fair with only a few weeks to go we were well in contention for the league.

I agree with the opinion that we need stability. A change of coach, whoever he is, is no guarantee of better results or better hockey. We can't go changing a coach every time we don't win anything, there's no chance to build on anything as we start again every year.

In his first year as coach, Adam Keefe's Belfast finished 5th, only 2 points ahead of Fife, and they didn't make it to the play off weekend. Can't imagine Belfast fans would have been happy with that, but they stuck with him and he was able to build what he has achieved.

I'm not wholly opposed to a new coach if it's the right person but it shouldn't be a knee jerk reaction, which I'm sure it won't be with Todd and the owners. If it was down to me I would keep Dupont for another year but change the assistant, Dixon would be good, so would Chris Culligan who looks to be out of a job at the minute. An experienced old head would be good but will be tough to get an experienced guy to be an assistant at this level.
Usually I would agree... There cannot be a knee jerk reaction and I think it is important not to change the coach every time we don't win anything.

However, in order to justify giving a coach another year I would expect to have seen growth / development / learning throughout the season.

So, I'm trying to see where we improved from September to April.... and I'm scratching my head.

Our defence (team defence) didn't improve.
Our powerplay got worse.
Our scoring depth got worse.
We didn't have a plan B all year.

Our netminding arguably improved.
Our penalty kill was also solid.

I don't consider that Dupont has actually been able to implement change to improve the areas that we were evidently failing in back in October. So for me, I can't see the justification for going with another year.

I’ve not blocked her yet - I just find it fascinating to read in terms of how somebody can be so deluded and bitter! This behaviour should be studied and hopefully in due course a cure or vaccine made available !
Apparently Dr Piggott Is developing said vaccine in one of the labs up on the gantry.
Keep it quiet tho, it’s top secret

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #30
Aaaaaaand... back on topic.

If you don't like the posts, add them to your ignore list, if you need help to understand how to do this then just ask, i'm sure someone can help.

Going forwards, leave the general bashing and just reply (or not) to the posts.

Further replies that aren't on topic will be deleted.

Last edited:

AJ73

Great move for him and a big loss. I am not a big fan of taking players from other EIHL teams (how many have truly worked out in the last few years?) but Halbert is one of the few I would have said yes to
Waller & Davies. If you’re talking imports - probably last one was Faryna?

Agreed on Halbert though - huge loss for Blaze (& the league)

kettdevil1

Waller & Davies. If you’re talking imports - probably last one was Faryna?

Agreed on Halbert though - huge loss for Blaze (& the league)
Waller yes, I suppose I always thought Davies was always 'on loan' elsewhere rather than signed from another team. Faryna was a good shout until the unfortunate incident.... apart from that..... I am really struggling.

Gaz G

If you go back a few years, there are loads. 3 off the top of my head Matsos, Adams, Finnerty. I'm sure if I thought about it I could come up with a lot more.

kettdevil1

If you go back a few years, there are loads. 3 off the top of my head Matsos, Adams, Finnerty. I'm sure if I thought about it I could come up with a lot more.
Matsos' weakest years points wise were with us, Adams and Finnerty are good shouts but as you say, we are going back a few years.....

Recently I am struggling to find many at all