SORAC and the New Rink

TheStub

toy_car_uk said:
Has any one looked at the feasibility of a co-op with the SORAC/users/fans/club setting up and putting in a bid?
I've suggested that to a few people, but the response always seems to be "Cardiff Council don't want to deal with Co-op type organisations".

Mind you - there are ways of adapting the idea and having something agreeable to all parties.

TheStub said:
I've suggested that to a few people, but the response always seems to be "Cardiff Council don't want to deal with Co-op type organisations".

Mind you - there are ways of adapting the idea and having something agreeable to all parties.
What CCC want to do? or what they have a legal obligation to do?

If a Co-Op put a bid in for the ISV or even but business plan together to build elsewhere as long as the bid and/or legal requirements are met they do not have a choice with regards to who they want to deal with.

TheStub

I think they worry that a co-op would be all hippy and stuff - and more seriously be hung up in internal red tape, bureaucracy and people attempting to build little power bases for themselves.

It can easily happen in small voluntary groups.

There is maybe a way forward. Social Enterprise - a co-op without being a full co-op. Appoint management, who run the business day to day, share holders then have the ability to remove from office, or vote upon the direction that the business takes.

But, fundamentally it would be a business like any other. Except it would be not for profit.

Going off on one a sec - hold onBut being a not for profit social business doesn't mean that there is no profit generated, or that the business must run at a loss or off donations - rather, the profits aren't given out to the directors/shareholders. If we were to take over the tent, prices would be reviewed, but maybe not change. Rather, the derived profits would be available to reinvest in the tent, new arena, new rink in Bridgend. In some ways it is what British Ice Sports need to grow - a business who is interested in building rinks that can be self sustaining, but aren't actually looking to make them money machines. Break even, or just a bit better would be more than good enough - but for most companies that would be a suicidal model.

So, I am way in the Social Enterprise to build a Cardiff Ice Arena complex. I'm sure if it had a robust board, without a huge amount of bureaucracy then the Council would probably be with it as well - at least they could be sure in an operator that would put the ice users and the facility first.

osh

What a pity an ice arena couldn't have been included within the new WRU and tennis set up at Island Farm Bridgend eh!

toy_car_uk said:
Has any one looked at the feasibility of a co-op with the SORAC/users/fans/club setting up and putting in a bid?

Such a bid would not get past the financial checks that have to be made before a tender can be considered.

As I have said before I am a supporter of group ownership for the Devils. Such a group would more than likely have enough of a financial clout to secure the rights to build a new rink.

There are potential investors out there but now much more wary of who they get into bed with.

Nott Simpson said:
toy_car_uk said:

Such a bid would not get past the financial checks that have to be made before a tender can be considered.

As I have said before I am a supporter of group ownership for the Devils. Such a group would more than likely have enough of a financial clout to secure the rights to build a new rink.

There are potential investors out there but now much more wary of who they get into bed with.
Seems that some without the financial clout slip through the net OJ, not that I agree with the coop idea, and as VC of SORAC I can't wait till new facility is in place and I can get back to enjoying my hockey and having more free time, alas I feel it is still a long way off

Kipper

A number of people appear to be under the impression that I am still involved in Sorac.I would like to make it clear that I withdrew from Sorac several years ago due increased rugby commitments.

All credit and recognition for Sorac's recent successes must go to Jodysstillagirlsname, Wannabe2 and their colleagues.

osh

If Ragan was the so called reserve bidder - by that I mean he was the middle bidder in a tender of 3 - where was he getting he funding from for such a proposed 2 rink arena? I ask that as he seems to be telling us that he suffered a great loss last season, his business was poorly run and managed, and he is being extra careful this season. what would he have done if he had won the bid and had actually started the works as they were supposed to in February of this year?

from what i hear, with the help of shannon, ragan secured the backing of a multimillionaire who was willing to invest millions in the project to get it built! when we lost the tender and then shannon went home the invester went elsewhere!

maccab5 said:
from what i hear, with the help of shannon, ragan secured the backing of a multimillionaire who was willing to invest millions in the project to get it built! when we lost the tender and then shannon went home the invester went elsewhere!
I would suggest the Shannon bit is untrue as is investor going elsewhere.

osh

jodysstillagirlsname said:
maccab5 said:
I would suggest the Shannon bit is untrue as is investor going elsewhere.
So, the Shannon bit is untrue, but Ragan still has an investor on board or interested ?

Does anybody have any more news ? Seems to have gone a bit quiet with all the good signings we have made recently.

I'm sure stuff is happening just wondered if we have any thing to report??

Wannabe2

Nothing at the moment, although there;s probably things going on behind closed doors, think it will be between weeks to months before there is anything solid to discuss. In the meantime its close to the season, and enjoying ourselves.