Stars Vs Devils - League - 12th Nov 22 - 19:00 FO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samael

So if the club keep him (which I hope they give him a chance) but also do not allow him to sign new players.....what the hell does he do?!? We will be talking about the same issues week in week out.
First thing he needs to do is stop being so soft with the players and read them the riot act. Make them all and l do mean all of them aware they are on notice if he doesn't see immediate improvement. They are taking the piss out of him right now and the people paying to watch this rubbish. He also needs to admit he needs help and not from an anonymous assistant who was brought in as a mate. He needs veteran help, christ I'd be on the phone to someone like Neilson for some pointers which just goes to show how dire the situation is.

bb1

I have no doubt Dupont has the passion to succeed and is trying really hard in the background. Lack of experience in this current role.....Yes. However I honestly do not believe the guy isn't working his socks off to change things.

The reason TK and co gave him a chance is because the players loved playing for him the back end of last season and it showed. We nearly won the CC being 2 key D men down and we won the POFW.

Whats different now?......A few new faces and some of which are imo not up to the task. We have no real leaders. Dixon GONE, Mikkelson GONE. Reggie who we thought was our new Hotham GONE. Mcnally (who did run hot and cold) was the fire we needed at times GONE. Carruth (best nettie we have had in EIHL era) was also a guy who had fire in his belly GONE.

This current team with exception of Coughler, Brandt, Duggan, Martin, Sanford & Cox (when they play with an edge) have ZERO character. We cannot keep relying on the same players week in week out to carry us. We need another Faryna in the forward line up and a Tyson Marsh/Hendo/Hotham type character on D who play like they actually give a sh#t!

After we wont the CC against Sheffield in 2014/15 season we played them in the league and were getting pumped but our guys didn't take it lightly. Marsh, Dougie both got kicked out along with another player or two. Lordo went ape on bench and offered out Adams. We showed we cared.
I am not for one minute saying to go out and goon it up, I am just saying our guys need to show they give a sh#t and show some fire for the badge.

Last night Reid took what looked like a hit to the head and was blindsided........Penny gave the guy a face wash FFS! Says it all for me.

matbur

Difficult not to be concerned watching yesterday's post-game interview as it's clear players aren't responding.

Every team goes through difficult periods and the expectation will be on coaching staff and players to make necessary adjustments and improve.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that just because management and owners have been quiet, it doesn't necessarily mean that's the case behind the scenes. These people aren't fools and if we're alarmed by performances and lack of response from the team, you can be sure as hell they are.

I think unless there's a sustained improvement soon, there will be changes, but what that looks like is anyone's guess.

Let's hope Dupont is right and the players do step up tonight.

Last edited:

Kevlar68

I feel awful saying this but I've become so uninterested in this teams play that I've canceled my hotel for next weekends games and going to Birmingham for a gig and Christmas fair instead. That's how bored we are of the way this team is playing.

hip check

Dupont comes across as a nice well spoken man sometimes not the best combination when it comes to arse kicking time, you have to have that nasty streak that makes players sit up and take note that he's not prepared to accept underperformance, he needs to start letting them know that they're letting the club, the fans and themselves down, have pride in your performance so you know you've given it your best shot and left it all on the ice.

moggy#9

I feel awful saying this but I've become so uninterested in this teams play that I've canceled my hotel for next weekends games and going to Birmingham for a gig and Christmas fair instead. That's how bored we are of the way this team is playing.
I know how you feel. I'd been looking forward to the continental cup for months. I'd hoped to catch at least some of the games in person, but now I'm not even sure I can be bothered to watch the streams.

moggy#9

Dupont comes across as a nice well spoken man sometimes not the best combination when it comes to arse kicking time, you have to have that nasty streak that makes players sit up and take note that he's not prepared to accept underperformance, he needs to start letting them know that they're letting the club, the fans and themselves down, have pride in your performance so you know you've given it your best shot and left it all on the ice.
Yeah, perhaps he's too nice. Could you imagine players performing like that if, for instance, Paul heavey was coach? ;-)

Samael

Heavey was an absolute gent compared to JL. I would not want a motivational chat off the weasle, he took absolutely no shit from players. It's a shame the current coaching team doesn't have a 10th of what made Heavey and Lawless the players and coaches they were.

ASHIPP

In the modern era, can anyone imagine Adam Keefe tolerating a big humiliation followed by another loss instead of a positive, fighting response from his players? Wouldn't have wanted to be travelling back with the Giants' squad after last night's loss to the Panthers.

Mooney#16

The art of man management though. One size doesn’t fit all. If your manager comes in and rips you a new one in work how do you respond. I run a shift of 50 in work and I can pull them apart on John Tortarella levels and I’ll get a response from some and others will just go absolutely missing. As fans it’s easy for us to be simplistic with our opinion of what we would do and that under the assumption you scream at the team and they will turn into a bunch of rabid dogs. It’s not that simple. Players play best when happy and united not when they have a rocket up them as they clutch sticks to tight and over play the puck and positioning. It’s why the biggest cliche is when things are bad you actually step away for the hockey and go and get into one on a bender together. The players need to own the current situation as irrespective of what’s happening on the ice they don’t have the character of a good team of it. They don’t look a happy bunch. They need some leadership in the room to step in and get that squad gelled and fast. Looking at you Mark Richardson.

august04 2.0

The art of man management though. One size doesn’t fit all. If your manager comes in and rips you a new one in work how do you respond. I run a shift of 50 in work and I can pull them apart on John Tortarella levels and I’ll get a response from some and others will just go absolutely missing. As fans it’s easy for us to be simplistic with our opinion of what we would do and that under the assumption you scream at the team and they will turn into a bunch of rabid dogs. It’s not that simple. Players play best when happy and united not when they have a rocket up them as they clutch sticks to tight and over play the puck and positioning. It’s why the biggest cliche is when things are bad you actually step away for the hockey and go and get into one on a bender together. The players need to own the current situation as irrespective of what’s happening on the ice they don’t have the character of a good team of it. They don’t look a happy bunch. They need some leadership in the room to step in and get that squad gelled and fast. Looking at you Mark Richardson.
The buck stops with Brodie DuPont and those that appointed him. Does he have the required man management skills to get the best out of different personality types? That’s the problem with appointing a rookie coach, his experience is limited. And to help him, there should be a leadership group within that dressing room - it’s unfair to point the finger solely at Mark Richardson. He’s a quiet guy and everyone knew that when he was appointed Captain. There should be enough experience in that room to help with stuff like this. We're not seeing anything from anybody and as much as you seem to like DuPont, he’s ultimately responsible for the performance of this team.

lloyd_jeff

Which is exactly why you don’t employ a trainee to learn on the job. Unless it’s politics and you need a scapegoat to blame.

Wannabe2

I never bought tickets as I’m catching the don’t give a shit virus that’s spreading thru the team, playing shitty is one thing but not caring, showing zero passion, not wanting to untidy your hair,and generally not giving a shit about anyone fans included is beyond being unforgivable. Going tonight is a real chore, never thought watching the Devils would be a chore, and I am going on my own as no one else wants to go, not bothering with play offs this year probably have a week in the sun instead. 36 yrs going up in smoke at the moment, going tonight to see friends and have a beer, and that’s my reason for going tonight.

hip check

Dupont seems a bit too nice for me and that approach can also lead to people being too comfortable and therefore not motivated to put a shift in.
The harsh in yer face method seems to work well at Belfast so there's a case for both approaches, but I believe Dupont is a little bit too nice especially when the going gets tough,
saying all that the players themselves should be able to motivate themselves just like I did when playing rugby.

TL91

I never bought tickets as I’m catching the don’t give a shit virus that’s spreading thru the team, playing shitty is one thing but not caring, showing zero passion, not wanting to untidy your hair,and generally not giving a shit about anyone fans included is beyond being unforgivable. Going tonight is a real chore, never thought watching the Devils would be a chore, and I am going on my own as no one else wants to go, not bothering with play offs this year probably have a week in the sun instead. 36 yrs going up in smoke at the moment, going tonight to see friends and have a beer, and that’s my reason for going tonight.
I hate this attitude to be honest. Think of perennial strugglers Fife - still have fans turning up week in week out. We go on a poor run, and this is the attitude of those who ‘love’ this club? 36 years you’ll have seen some shitty times no doubt - I haven’t been watching anywhere near as long and admire your enthusiasm for so long but we shouldn’t have this throwing in the towel type demeanour. I agree with wanting to see effort and wanting to fight for the badge, I do. But the reality is this is one season (two if you want to be critical of last season). Remember everyone’s sentiments of just being glad to have hockey back after covid? As many say, comparing arena team budgets to us, you could even argue we’ve been over achieving? Nobody turns up to see their team lose but the reality is those out on the ice are going to be here for the rest of the season so let’s get behind them. If we don’t, we’re a bit of a tinpot fan base otherwise.

Wannabe2

Fortunately what you think don’t mean a thing to me, I know lots and I mean lots of good fans that have as you say thrown the towel in. Your entitled to your opinion, and I’m entitled to mine, your opinion don’t mean Jack to me pity mine don’t mean the same to you. Enjoy the game tonight.

TL91

Fortunately what you think don’t mean a thing to me, I know lots and I mean lots of good fans that have as you say thrown the towel in. Your entitled to your opinion, and I’m entitled to mine, your opinion don’t mean Jack to me pity mine don’t mean the same to you. Enjoy the game tonight.
Not once did I say your opinion means nothing to me. I even said how I admire your enthusiasm, but there we go. Just go into defensive mode straight away. Think it’s an absolute shame you and others feel that way, but do feel it deters from the love you profess to have. You’re very vocal on here which shows you care, but get behind the club. The club is bigger than the players and will still be here long after they’ve gone. Personally, looking forward to tonight. Got to turn the corner at some point and here’s hoping it’s tonight. No, I’m not a ‘happy clapper’ either before anyone says anything . Another statement a few like to sling round here about fellow fans. Inclusive lot aren’t we

D

Deleted member 1337

Todd wants children & families, school groups and piss head corporate jollies, basically anyone who’ll spend money in the rink. Every tough guy has been like a neutered puppy dog.
I'm all for expanding the number of people who come to support the Devils but I'm not sure we're going after the best target audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.