Steelers in the .....

hip check

It's a shame the season had to end this way. Arguments will rage as to who would've been top of the pile come season's end, we'll never know unfortunately so now it's down to the CHL who they think should be the worthy entrants to represent the EIHL next season in their competition.
History shows that we gave a good account of ourselves last time around and that may go in our favour, on the other hand would one of the 4 other contenders do an equally as good a job this time around? Whatever the outcome there will be some disappointed fans.
Wouldn't want to be in the position to have to make that decision.

At the end of the day it was100% the correct decision the end the season, regardless of who claims/thinks they are champions. We all want ice hockey to be played, we miss it when it's not there, but this situation is far bigger than sport, its people's lives we are talking about. Let's just get through this safe and well, then hopefully we get our game back

moggy#9

At the end of the day it was100% the correct decision the end the season, regardless of who claims/thinks they are champions. We all want ice hockey to be played, we miss it when it's not there, but this situation is far bigger than sport, its people's lives we are talking about. Let's just get through this safe and well, then hopefully we get our game back
Obviously this is close to home for you since it appears to be giants players initially affected. We can only hope that all involved get through this ok. Rivalries are irrelevant at a time like this.

kingmo19.1

Is the CHL entry a wider problem though than just affecting the EIHL? I guess what I’m asking is have all of the other leagues that contribute teams into it actually finished their seasons? If not then maybe the direction as to who qualifies and via what method will come via the CHL in due course.

Temme

Not fishing here, but given the unique set of circumstances we find ourselves in -

Sheffield -> CHL spot, they won the only silverware this year, so deserve the CHL spot.
Devils -> Continental cup spot, runners up in the only silverware this year.

That's not using any bias, but trying to be a little logical with it.

Of course that in no way benefits us, and frankly would suck, but there's no other way to split it if no further games are played this season.

moggy#9

Not fishing here, but given the unique set of circumstances we find ourselves in -

Sheffield -> CHL spot, they won the only silverware this year, so deserve the CHL spot.
Devils -> Continental cup spot, runners up in the only silverware this year.

That's not using any bias, but trying to be a little logical with it.

Of course that in no way benefits us, and frankly would suck, but there's no other way to split it if no further games are played this season.
I can't agree with that. At the time the game was played abandoning the season wasn't on the agenda, and the idea of more being at stake want a possibility. Sure, the league still had a way to go, but clearly things were swinging in the devils favour. The CC is a different competition and to bring that into the equation is moving the goalposts.

I'm surprised that the EIHL jumped so quickly to "cancel" the rest of the season.
Some teams only have about 5/6 fixtures ( I know we have 8 ) but surely we could start next season a few weeks early and knock off the remaining fixtures so we get a "winner"?

rocketbob

I'm surprised that the EIHL jumped so quickly to "cancel" the rest of the season.
Some teams only have about 5/6 fixtures ( I know we have 8 ) but surely we could start next season a few weeks early and knock off the remaining fixtures so we get a "winner"?
One downside of this is a team could hire the maximum number of NHL grade talent just for these few fixtures (looking at you Sheffield) to give them a massive chance of getting a league title. Not that anyone would ever take advantage of a situation like that........

Temme

I can't agree with that. At the time the game was played abandoning the season wasn't on the agenda, and the idea of more being at stake want a possibility. Sure, the league still had a way to go, but clearly things were swinging in the devils favour. The CC is a different competition and to bring that into the equation is moving the goalposts.
The trouble is that there is no other way to award it without relying on "if's" or "maybe's",

The other option is that we don't have a representative from the EIHL in the CHL.

4 ways they could do it (if they decide without playing out any more EIHL games);

Sheffield because they've won the only available trophy
Belfast because they won the league this year & there is no winner this year
Cardiff because they were top at the time
No entrant from the EIHL

Out of those 4, number 3 looks the least fair, and least likely.

Just being a little realistic, if we don't get it then we can't really complain, but if we do get it then every other club as a right to be aggrieved.

rocketbob

The trouble is that there is no other way to award it without relying on "if's" or "maybe's",

The other option is that we don't have a representative from the EIHL in the CHL.

4 ways they could do it (if they decide without playing out any more EIHL games);

Sheffield because they've won the only available trophy
Belfast because they won the league this year & there is no winner this year
Cardiff because they were top at the time
No entrant from the EIHL

Out of those 4, number 3 looks the least fair, and least likely.

Just being a little realistic, if we don't get it then we can't really complain, but if we do get it then every other club as a right to be aggrieved.
Option 5 - Cardiff because they have the best points per game average over the whole season.
Also being realistic, whatever happens, someone will complain.

One downside of this is a team could hire the maximum number of NHL grade talent just for these few fixtures (looking at you Sheffield) to give them a massive chance of getting a league title. Not that anyone would ever take advantage of a situation like that........
I’m sure the EIHL could add some rules that states for these odd games you have to use last years rostered players or a maximum of 1/2 new imports...

Earnie

There may not be any CHL when we expect it! That is realistic also.
However I am firmly convinced that should a CHL place be offered then Cardiff should have it.

Devilsatw

Thread starter #56
I would love to see the devils not taking part in the chl.

Only reason being is I would like to see the team we put together just for the elite league!

No excuses no styles to adapt to etc.

Get some rough n ready youngsters who are fast and explosive n win the elite league at a kantor instead of every season we are sweating till the last few games

moggy#9

I would love to see the devils not taking part in the chl.

Only reason being is I would like to see the team we put together just for the elite league!

No excuses no styles to adapt to etc.

Get some rough n ready youngsters who are fast and explosive n win the elite league at a kantor instead of every season we are sweating till the last few games
Sorry, I have to disagree. Qualification for the CHL is why winning the league matters. I still get annoyed at the year a European place was taken off us and given to Manchester because the organisers didn't like the WNIR.

Devilsatw

Thread starter #58
Sorry, I have to disagree. Qualification for the CHL is why winning the league matters. I still get annoyed at the year a European place was taken off us and given to Manchester because the organisers didn't like the WNIR.
I personally don’t like the chl.
We will never be good enough to win it so it’s kind of pointless.
I bet it costs more money for the club to travel abroad stay at hotels get players here early to prepare etc etc.

We have around 4/5 pre season friendlies which in my eyes is enough to then start the league

Wannabe2

Dissagree sorry winning the league means a lot different to me, winning the league means we have been the best team over the season in our league, and that means a lot more to me than a CHL spot. The European spot means lots to many people, probably including the team, but I also think lots of fans could live without it including me, more games for the lads to play, extra travel in a competition we wouldn’t win in a month of sundays. Give me Devils v Steelers/ panthers/Giants/ Blaze every day over Frolunda, Mountfield .