Steelers v Devils - 29/01 - 7:30pm - Chat/Updates

A

Anonymous

Well I'd blame him ahead of Romfo. If he got back where the hell was he? Wether he got back or not a D man shouldn't be chasing a puck into the oppositions zone, especially when on a PK with 40 seconds left to play. Surely??

ASHIPP

What can I add that hasn't already been said. Absolutely gutted and the Guys must be totally demoralised - 2 points already lost on a crucial 3 game run.

FANTASTIC start for the Devils and held on to that lead for most of the game - what went wrong?
But this is the same format of many recent games - they control the lead then it's taken from them in the final moments. :twisted: I can't see how Scott Romfo can be blamed at all - he's a great dman - there are 17 other guys on that bench who played lst night.

Whatever it is, SOMETHING is clearly not working despite the preparation/game plan. Hope they find it soon because the Guys are going to lose more crucial points in the push for top 3.

ps. Hope G is ok and able to return to the ice. Tylor injured is bad enough, with G it's a double blow. :eek:

Ger-Devils

Gutted, good trip up and then down in the dumps on the way back and the music wasn't helping. If we won then it would have been awesome.

Very good first two periods for us then you could see, whoever got the next goal would go and win it, which they did. Few errors here and there but a silly pen to take by Romfo. Plenty of positives for the team to take into tonight even though their heads must be shot after losing the game.

I would have taken OT to be honest away from home. May have lost on that but it still would have been a point really. Hopefully they can pick themselves up again for tonight's game.

Left Ice Sheffield 10:30pm, got home around 2:30am(Traffic was mental getting out of there and onto the M1, then a stop by the M50 then a drop off in Cardiff & to make it worse, a nice 10mile drive to my house in the heavy snow which was sticking as soon as it hit)

I was fuming when the pen was given but I've had time to calm down and reflect on the game and was said above, I would have taken a point up there. We looked good for the win but we needed that 3rd to make sure and knock Sheffield for 6. It was nice to hear so little of Simms too!

steve

Its not tactics, it bad attitude.

We gained the zone and held the puck so easily last night it was incredible. The Sheff D was awful for the first 30 mins. We lost the game because we failed to convert chances in the 2nd, where we really should have gone further ahead, and then couldn't be bothered for the last 30 mins. Pathetic.

Sgroi worked and worked and worked last night, doesn't look great but he earn't his goal and won the game (and there's no way he should have got 10 for the boarding). Hartwick was awesome against him and really looked like he could contain him, but given PPs/PKs we didn't do a great job of shift matching him.

I actually think Romfo is a good D man, however way before the goal he gave away 2 incredible tunrnovers in the zone and was lucky they weren't scored on. However, he wasn't alone in this, and Miller let a few soft passes go aswell. His penalty was stupid, because he put his stick on the players glove unnecesarily - it didn't look bad enough to make the guy loose his stick, but the sheff player rightly made the most of it.

The whole sheff team looked physically scared of voth last nigh, and sgori didn't go near him all night, yet no effort was made to bully them because of it. Without G, Michel and an out of sorts Max, we have no presence - those are the guy's that have been doing the job the last few months, not the guy's perhaps you would expect.

One common theme that we seem to be hearing from these road games is that a lot of the effort seems to be coming from the far end of the bench, from guys like Davies and Hayes. Unfortunately all too often we've heard reports that the more prominent players seem disinterested in the game and lacking in presence. Maybe it's time that our underrated Brit players get a bit more ice time. Even if it came to borrowing a few more from the ENL side a bit more often.

This isn't the main point though, obviously. The main point should be that the most prominent, higher paid players on the team should be getting out there, getting the job done and earning their wages, regardless of whether the game is on home or away ice.

Mooney#16

I make this post in order to point out what was wrong with that game winning goal to hopefully help the team and not to charecter assinate any player. Hopefully anyone at the club who may read this will see it that way.

First off jarvis going forward was a good play he cleared the zone and got the puck deep then retreated to his defensive position.

However when the steelers break out they channel the play wide well via latulippe but Voth then drops a clanger. He lets Talbot slip past with the meagrist of slashes and gets himself left high in the zone out of the play. What he should have done was not commit and shadow talbot with his stick in the passing lane until he could pass him over to richardson and return to the point. Guilty of over committing on the play.

Latulippe is then guilty of getting tied up by the guy crashing the slot and letting himself drift of to the side of the defensive box with a guy who's not a threat on the play. He has to fight through that play and maintain his place in the box and have better recognition of where the threat actually lies. In other words he gave up the slot to softly.

Thirdly jarvis is seen to be defending the far post of which no steeler has entered that area of the ice. He's covering open ice. He in my opinion should have either stepped forward higher into the slot or been at the other side of lyles posts to be involed in the high risk areas of the ice. If we're honset if he'd been in either position a shot block wouldn't have been out of the question.

To me all these errors seem to indicate a few things. The players are in fact over committing and over thinking the plays. I think with a little more composure and will to execute the defensive box rather than chase the puck they could have seen that game out. Now whether this means they are under instructions to have an active penalty kill and its not working or if they are playing the box and not executing is a matter for G to deal with.

A

Anonymous

On a PK Jarvis, imo, should be in our zone, positioned centrally. Not chasing a puck he's never going to get in the Steelers zone. I'm no Zach Parise but to me thats common sense.

Mooney#16

Hey i agree. I want the guy covering that slot by any means neccessary. He didn't when the goal was scored and that was an error. However the initial play of going up ice was to get the puck out of the zone and deep in theres. He actually has posession of the puck and doesn't give it up until he knows its deep. That was the right play to make at the time. I'll no criticise him for that one.

Gazza272

TheDevilTorn said:
On a PK Jarvis, imo, should be in our zone, positioned centrally. Not chasing a puck he's never going to get in the Steelers zone. I'm no Zach Parise but to me thats common sense.

Disagree and concur with Mooney, Voth ballsed up and effectively gave the steelers a 5 on 3 in the zone. I'm sure even he would admit as such. Jarvis did his job for me and got the puck in deep.

A

Anonymous

Didn't see the Voth incident so cant really comment. As for Jarvis he was never in control of the puck and shouldn't of skated to the other end of the rink in pursuit of it. He should of stayed at home. I know I'm being over critical and to blame him for the goal is very harsh but ....