Swimming Pool Car Park

Finny

Thread starter #1
As I'm sure most of us noticed, there were people charging to park in the Swimming Pool Car Park again. Once again they had nothing official on them, only 1 of the 3 people were wearing a orange high-visibility jacket, though the did have a sign they had written themselves (badly) saying £1 parking.

As they hadn't been there since before Christmas I didn't bother looking into it anymore, but shall do this week.

I wasn't driving but having had half a shandy or two earlier I decided to cross over and ask them for some more information. My memory is a bit sketchy but from what I can remember:

-they had nothing official or proof of who they were.
-they said it was a private carpark and so could charge on behalf of them. I said I thought it was a council car park and after a bit more pushing they said it was being run by Parkway who also ran the pool.

I started to get cold at this point and so started to walk away, then changed my mind and decided to shout out to the cars queueing that they couldn't stop any of them and to just drive through.
At this point the other bloke who was taking the money got very annoyed and starting shouting at me. Saying it was a private car park and he could refuse them entry or do whatever he wanted.
I asked him if they would all be here tomorrow (Sunday). The other two then started looking away and the 'angry' bloke went quiet and simply replied "No". I asked him why not and he said he didn't work Sundays.
I asked him if he would be here next Saturday and he said he would. So I said I would see him next week and smiled as I walked off.

Something tells me that it's not quite legit. There are no signs saying it is the swimming pool carpark or run by Parkway. I shall email both the council and parkway this week to confirm what is going on.
Did anyone use the carpark? If so did they give you a ticket?

I have been told that if they are charging you to use the carpark, they have to give you a ticket or at least a receipt. Presumably this is one of the reasons why the Ice Rink carpark is now a voluntary donation.

I was wondering what was going on as well. I turned up later than usual and there was quite a long queue to the car parks. I still went into the Devils one as I'd rather give my pound to them, but I think the dodgy sounding Swimming Pool car park chargers were causing more a queue as people were obviosuly questioning why they suddenly have to pay.

Ger-Devils

Finny said:
As I'm sure most of us noticed, there were people charging to park in the Swimming Pool Car Park again. Once again they had nothing official on them, only 1 of the 3 people were wearing a orange high-visibility jacket, though the did have a sign they had written themselves (badly) saying £1 parking.

As they hadn't been there since before Christmas I didn't bother looking into it anymore, but shall do this week.

I wasn't driving but having had half a shandy or two earlier I decided to cross over and ask them for some more information. My memory is a bit sketchy but from what I can remember:

-they had nothing official or proof of who they were.
-they said it was a private carpark and so could charge on behalf of them. I said I thought it was a council car park and after a bit more pushing they said it was being run by Parkway who also ran the pool.

I started to get cold at this point and so started to walk away, then changed my mind and decided to shout out to the cars queueing that they couldn't stop any of them and to just drive through.
At this point the other bloke who was taking the money got very annoyed and starting shouting at me. Saying it was a private car park and he could refuse them entry or do whatever he wanted.
I asked him if they would all be here tomorrow (Sunday). The other two then started looking away and the 'angry' bloke went quiet and simply replied "No". I asked him why not and he said he didn't work Sundays.
I asked him if he would be here next Saturday and he said he would. So I said I would see him next week and smiled as I walked off.

Something tells me that it's not quite legit. There are no signs saying it is the swimming pool carpark or run by Parkway. I shall email both the council and parkway this week to confirm what is going on.
Did anyone use the carpark? If so did they give you a ticket?

I have been told that if they are charging you to use the carpark, they have to give you a ticket or at least a receipt. Presumably this is one of the reasons why the Ice Rink carpark is now a voluntary donation.

I noticed quite a few cars taking forever to go in there and questioning them. I parked where I always park in the back of the rink. They look very dodgey in that carpark. How they opened it, I don't know! Was like an ice rink

Definately seems dodgy to me, wouldn't give them my pound at all, although i've always used the tent's car park anyway. Good on you finny for taking them up on it.

DevilDom

When I saw they were charging for the swimming pool car park i drove past. I sometimes park there depending on how late I arrive, but mostly go in the Devils car park.

I think it is really dodgy. They would have to charge for the car park every day to make it legal, not just when the Devils are playing. Seems like a couple of chancers making a few quid for themselves. Maybe we or the rink could ask for the police to take a drive down and ask a few questions?

Kipper

I was told last night that these people are from Parkwood who operate the swimming pool. The person who told me works at the pool

DevilDom

Kipper said:
I was told last night that these people are from Parkwood who operate the swimming pool. The person who told me works at the pool
Why do they only charge when the Devils are playing though?

Wannabe2

Unfortunately it is legal, if you pay the pound and use the pool then its refunded to you apparently, but if you dont use the pool then the money goes to the operators. So my answer is to use the rink car park, it may take you 5 mins longer to get out, but at least your money is going to our great club.

surely though, you'd have to get a receipt in order to get you pound back from the pool, otherwise everyone would be getting a pound off swimming whether they used the carpark or not - all you'd have to do is say that you've used the carpark.

my sister uses the pool on a saturday mornings (to go swimming) and has never had to pay a pound to use the carpark

The pool seems to be owned/managed by Parkwood - if he said Parkway he doesnt know who he works for !! If its legit it needs to look more professional - if you get the £1 if you swin how do you prove you paid it ????? Or are the pool staff just that trusting and handing pounds out to anyone who claims to have paid ???

nmase20 said:
my guess is that you show the pool reciept to the car park staff and they refund you? would seem the logical way round of doing it.
Agree but their working hours seem a little sketchy !! Wouldnt be happy to go back clutching my pool receipt and found they had left !!

Personally until they are proven to be legit avoiding them seems best !

The pool closes at 6pm on a Saturday (and the gym shortly after) so there's no way the people arriving later for the hockey will be using those facilities. Also, I'm down that way quite often and have only ever seen people collecting money before Devils games.

Called the pool today as the guy seemed a bit suspect when asked who he's collecting money for he replied "not the Devils". Pool confirmed they are charging Devils fans to park there, free for pool users.

I'm taking a rubber ring down later :lol:

Abs

Russky

I would be very suspicious particularly if there are people there collecting parking fees especially if the pool is shut!!! If it were me I would ask to see a lanyard identification or a permit that shows beyond doubt that they are collecting on behalf of the Pool. IF they are legit then they should not refuse to show any ID! If they fail to produce this for any reason then I would say they are not getting any money out of me and park else where!

The answer is don't use it then. To be honest I've always used that one over the Devils one, but there was no way I'm giving them my money and last night used the Devils car park instead when I noticed them there, and will be doing the same tonight.

The Devils car park money goes to the DCF the pool car park money doesn't. If they want to be funny and start charging for it, let the people stand for an hour, in the dark, and freezing cold, for no reason. They'll soon stop doing it. :twisted: