What have the Devils given you?

wildthing74

Thread starter #1
After the hysteria of Sunday night and the many happy faces I saw,it got me thinking about how many good times and memories the Devils have given me over the years.
Not many sports or events could bring such joy to so many and seeing they young kids so happy made it feel even better.
When I first went along back in '86 as a youngster,it was only meant to be to have a look at something different and was a nice alternative to the rubbish football that our fine local team was puting on at the time.
It developed into more than that and the Devils have given me some of the best memories of my life.
I have been to some wierd and wonderful places and met many different people as a result.
Devils made me meet my wife who has given me 2 kids so without them there would be 2 less people in the world too!
I have flitted in and out of going to the games over the years for various reasons like starting a family and just frustration how the sport was being run and politics that came with that but was always drawn back.
The main thing the Devils have given me is friends for life.The sport has brought people from all walks of life and backgrounds together.People whos lives would not have crossed had it not been for the common love of the sport and the Devils.Friends whos lives have taken them to different places and have left following the sport but still friends regardless.
For this Cardiff Devils I thank you.

Wannabe2

What a fantastic post, like yourself this great sport and this great club has given me so much i could spend the next 6 months talking about it. it has taken me from total elation to feeling suicidal, what other sport could do that to me. It takes over so much of your life, that it gets you wondering how you managed before it, and how could you manage without it. Fantastic edge of the seat games, rumours of who may be signing, great away trips, and then the best of the bunch, the oppurtunity to meet and get to know so so many fantastic people, and for that i will be eternall grateful. What has this great club given to me, A BLOODY LOT, and may it long continue for many many more years to come. A huge thank you to everyone who go to watch the Devils past and present.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

mazza03

Being on my own it's been the one place where I can go by myself when my daughter couldn't make it, there isn't any where else I can do that, also the support I had when my son died was amazing it did and still does help me get through a horrible time, so I THANK my friends and the Devils management from the bottom of my heart. :)

Since finding the Devils back in 96/97 season i have met a good group of people who i am happy to call good friends. We have enjoyed many laughs and always a good chat about where we thing the Devils are going

Going to the Devils every weekend gave an intrest for me and my girlfriend to share and also enjoy. We have been able to travel to away games and again enjoy the company of people we do not know but become friends by the end.

I have recently started bringing by younger brother to the games and as many stories before after one game he was hooked. He gets home and its all he talks about.

It is a shame how politics have ruined some things for the devils. Losing our grand home to a shopping center and now playing out of a tent but i feel with Matt holding the rains he can steer us to the great days once again.

drainage

wildthing74 said:
After the hysteria of Sunday night and the many happy faces I saw,it got me thinking about how many good times and memories the Devils have given me over the years.
Not many sports or events could bring such joy to so many and seeing they young kids so happy made it feel even better.
When I first went along back in '86 as a youngster,it was only meant to be to have a look at something different and was a nice alternative to the rubbish football that our fine local team was puting on at the time.
It developed into more than that and the Devils have given me some of the best memories of my life.
I have been to some wierd and wonderful places and met many different people as a result.
Devils made me meet my wife who has given me 2 kids so without them there would be 2 less people in the world too!
I have flitted in and out of going to the games over the years for various reasons like starting a family and just frustration how the sport was being run and politics that came with that but was always drawn back.
The main thing the Devils have given me is friends for life.The sport has brought people from all walks of life and backgrounds together.People whos lives would not have crossed had it not been for the common love of the sport and the Devils.Friends whos lives have taken them to different places and have left following the sport but still friends regardless.
For this Cardiff Devils I thank you.
Have also been in attendance since 86 !! Didnt gain any children but have a cat named Dougie and had I never seen the great Mc play I suspect he would have been a Tigger or something !! Have loved and hated - thankfully not in equal measure - watching the Devils and had many a great day out or in the case of Holland a weekend to look back and say wow to thanks to them !
I have to say I think the buzz is better than it has been for many a long year and really am looking forward to some very happy hockey days !!

wildthing74

Thread starter #6
Holland has to be the highlite for me.Amzing weekend that started with no expectations and even recall the sweep on the bus for first goal scored being a "hope we get a goal in any of the games" sweep.Little did we know!
Wierdest thing had to be us taking in turns supporting Tilburg and Sokol in the sunday morning game.Seem to recall we needed Tilburg to win but not by more than 2?Whatever it was it was fun seeing the locals faces working us out when we went from chanting for their boys with equal passion then supporting the oppo the same when they scored.Fun times.
That Sunday night in the bar when we had a good sing song and booze up was one of the best of my life.Why did some idiot(me)say if we won he would lead a naked charge into the freezing lake at the back of the hotel?Thankfully there were about 15 others mad enough to join me.Silly the things you do.

puck

Oh good, Finny has set the tone, I've been dying to put something irreverent on here but everyone was being deep.

The Devils have given me........ the Clap

I jest of course! I don't think they are that way inclined. In all seriousness, the Devils have given me a whole heap of new mates, a whole heap of awesome memories and a great time for the last 15 years. Here's to many more!!

TheStub

Devils have given me an interest beyond my geeky life. An interest that lots of people are curious about :lol:

Also, it has made the relationship with my sister stronger, and kept me sane whilst being house bound.

There are also a ton of memories and mementos that keep me going lots of the time.

My son was a big Devils fan and always tried to get his Dad to go with him, but Mike never fancied it. It took 2 free tickets off Shannon (11yrs ago)to get us there and we loved it. Sadly Mike died 6 yrs ago, but i have been to most home games since ,with lifts off my friend Claire or my niece Paula. Paula came to a game with me ,just for support ,after my husband died and ever since she has been hooked along with her new Fiance Lee.So i say a BIG thank you to Shannon, Claire and Paula and to all the lovely friends ive got through the Devils.

my first game was in the 06/07 season agaisnt the steelers and ever since then i havent missed one home game.My brother used to go with his mates once or twice a month and i bought nhl 07 and i wanted to see a match and i loved it :D. unfortunaly now many of my friends like it or havent been so they just ever go but mostly i go with my dad or my brother. The devils have given me something to do on the weekend even tho im a cardiff city season ticket holder aswell i do like the hockey alot more than football, just tired of them crying in they get tapped on the ankle.

I started watching at the end of the 02-03 season and the devils hooked me with a huge 12-0 win over the Fife Flyers. Over the years this club has had its good times (Challenge Cup 05, Sheffield away trip in Burgys last year when he scored with 0.2 seconds left in OT) and of course the bad times (Last years off ice problems with ownership etc) but through it all I have loved every single moment. The only thing that gets me through summer is knowing that the new season isnt far away and the excitement of new players, bashing the squeelers. And knowing I'll see friends which I have made thanks to this beautiful game. In short being a Devils Fan is everything to me and is like my Family. I'll cry through bad times and bang my drum and Jump for joy through Good ones for years to come

But Through It all I'll Still Be a Cardiff Devil

Paul Sullivan

drummer-sean said:
I started watching at the end of the 02-03 season and the devils hooked me with a huge 12-0 win over the Fife Flyers. Over the years this club has had its good times (Challenge Cup 05, Sheffield away trip in Burgys last year when he scored with 0.2 seconds left in OT) and of course the bad times (Last years off ice problems with ownership etc) but through it all I have loved every single moment. The only thing that gets me through summer is knowing that the new season isnt far away and the excitement of new players, bashing the squeelers. And knowing I'll see friends which I have made thanks to this beautiful game. In short being a Devils Fan is everything to me and is like my Family. I'll cry through bad times and bang my drum and Jump for joy through Good ones for years to come

Shame you've closed the voting for post of the year.

That gets my vote.

Rhythm

drainage

BLOCK 3 DEVIL said:
20+ years of awesome memories and even greater friends.

Oh, and a game of footie in a motorway services when a coach (bus variety) gave up the ghost !
Queuing around the rink in the rain to get tickets to see us play Deeside !!!! Oh and my first ever bench clearance in 87 - think it was Grimsby and it was carnage !!!

drainage said:
BLOCK 3 DEVIL said:
20+ years of awesome memories and even greater friends.

Oh, and a game of footie in a motorway services when a coach (bus variety) gave up the ghost !
Queuing around the rink in the rain to get tickets to see us play Deeside !!!! Oh and my first ever bench clearance in 87 - think it was Grimsby and it was carnage !!!
I was there for both of those......

Add... Medway game - no Smithie, Trafford Tournament - serious arses booted, 14 coaches turn up at Teford game - pure magic.

drummer-sean said:

Sean, you have beaten me to it I have been thinking how to reply to this thread all day.

The most important thing the Devils have given you is HOPE, this helped you battle against a life threatening illness illness, not just once, but three times. It gave you an interest and a focus away from your illness. It gave you friends for life ( Big thanks to Mike Ware and Ivan Matulik for the times they spent with you ). It gave you loads of friends from the hockey community around the country and even across the world.

For me personally, the Devils have given all of that to my son plus a renewal of an interest in Sport due to the passion and commitment of the players during games. It has given me friends around the world, friends I have stood side by side with in the battles with the council re : old rink
and something to look forward to on every dark depressing winter weekend. I will now be a hockey fan for life because it is a way of life

What a superb thread. I have only been following the Devils for the last 5 seasons but reading some of these threads about the old times has just shown me what I have missed over the years.

Earlier this season Luke, my son, asked if I would arrange some away travel. So glad that I have done this as I have met some fantastic people on these trips that I can call genuine friends. My goal for next year is to have 2 coaches go to an away trip and then 3. Dont know if I could manage 14 or so that went to Telford though. :lol: