2021/22 Roster - Rumours/Predictions

jenks33

Thread starter #202
We can't have a team of superstar studs.. budgetary constraints. But there are probably a couple more players with experience to be revealed,

There are many upsides though.

1. Younger, faster players - the style of UK hockey was heading that way prior to lockdown. TBH, there were times when our team struggled against the speed of Guildford etc back in 2019/2020.

2. There will be some hidden gems unearthed. On American and European teams with big rosters, some of these guys were competing for limited ice time. Now they will get their opportunity to show their skills for the Devils. Guildford and Dundee have successfully recruited university/one year pro's before and produced good players

3. Jarrod is an experienced coach in player development throughout his career in all levels of league. Think we can trust his judgement!
I think it’s more apprehension from some fans rather than thinking we’ve got a mid table team. Even Steve King said this summers recruitment is a risk so those fans that are apprehensive aren’t necessarily wrong. You’re right Guildford have been fantastic to watch for a few seasons but I’m sure even Paul Dixon wasn’t 100% sure what to expect from some of these players he signed directly from Uni. We’ve just become accustomed to signing proven players that make you sit back and think we will definitely be top two next season.
I’m happy with the risk tho. Let’s face it it’s a transitional period for us and there’s probably going to be a few bumps along the way but if we’re a fast, in your face team it will be entertaining.

Ocko

It appears highly unlikely. It makes no sense Matthew going to Nottingham when he was due a testimonial at our Club in lockdown season 2020. It never happened. Matthew may be announced separately with some details of future testimonial activities for this year. One of the most influential, point scoring players of Team GB at the recent Worlds...think the Devils would be doing everything to keep hold of him.

Evan (Mosey) had re-signed in 2020 before lockdown. He acknowledged how the Club had helped him with rehabilitation from his catastrophic injury and how much he enjoyed being at the Club. The guy is one of the most versatile players in the League. Makes no sense linking him to Nottingham.

The suggestion of two import goalies tonight makes the necessity for British and dual national players more crucial.
Not a chance I see Mosey back. We have 2 import forwards left to sign and both need to be first line players - Mosey isn’t that. He also isn’t coming back as a D man, as they need to be a big point scoring D - he isn’t that either. I said weeks ago he wouldn’t be back. His agency put a highlights video up a week or two ago as well, that tells its own story if he’s signed or not.

What relevance is his dual-nat status? He’s still an import in the EIHL.

august04 2.0

Not a chance I see Mosey back. We have 2 import forwards left to sign and both need to be first line players - Mosey isn’t that. He also isn’t coming back as a D man, as they need to be a big point scoring D - he isn’t that either. I said weeks ago he wouldn’t be back. His agency put a highlights video up a week or two ago as well, that tells its own story if he’s signed or not.

I see Haddad plus Martin's replacement. Do we know about Fournier yet?

Finny

I wouldn’t be surprised if the lack of ‘experienced, proven point scorers’ is partially down to the pandemic too.

Britain must look a bit of a risk to players considering coming here for the first time. There was no season at all last year and many might find the government’s plan to let Cases go crazy a danger too.
If you’re a player in their 30s you know you’ve not got many paychecks left in you. Do you take a risk in Britain or go to another country where they can play regardless of crowd restrictions?

august04 2.0

I wouldn’t be surprised if the lack of ‘experienced, proven point scorers’ is partially down to the pandemic too.

Britain must look a bit of a risk to players considering coming here for the first time. There was no season at all last year and many might find the government’s plan to let Cases go crazy a danger too.
If you’re a player in their 30s you know you’ve not got many paychecks left in you. Do you take a risk in Britain or go to another country where they can play regardless of crowd restrictions?
Let's just enjoy a thread about signings, and not descend into the rights and wrongs of Covid again! I think many have had enough of that.

Netminders Signed - 1/2
#30 Carruth
X Import

Defenceman Signed - 5/6
#04 Louis
#06 Mikkelson
#43 Register
#17 Richardson
#41 Batch
X Import

Forwards Signed - 8/12
#11 Dixon
#16 Duggan
#91 Waller
#05 Davies
#00 McNally
#00 Lammon
#00 Cox
#00 Sanford
X Import
X Import

X
X

Imports 9/13

jenks33

Thread starter #208
Netminders Signed - 1/2
#30 Carruth
X Import

Defenceman Signed - 5/6
#04 Louis
#06 Mikkelson
#43 Register
#17 Richardson
#41 Batch
X Import

Forwards Signed - 8/12
#11 Dixon
#16 Duggan
#91 Waller
#05 Davies
#00 McNally
#00 Lammon
#00 Cox
#00 Sanford
X Import
X Import

X
X

Imports 9/13
You don’t think we might go 14 imports? So could go Haddad and another two import forwards. As somebody else said earlier we could always play a young Brit as our back up netminder so it allows us to play 4 import defenceman and 8 import forwards

You don’t think we might go 14 imports? So could go Haddad and another two import forwards. As somebody else said earlier we could always play a young Brit as our back up netminder so it allows us to play 4 import defenceman and 8 import forwards
Possibly, we've always carried an extra Import, especially with CHL fixtures

JC23

Skalde said on the stream “two import goalies”

ASHIPP

Well if that turns out to be true, its a great shame because he is a dynamic player. However our new Coach knows the types of player he wants to fulfill style and roles on our new look team.

moggy#9

Well if that turns out to be true, its a great shame because he is a dynamic player. However our new Coach knows the types of player he wants to fulfill style and roles on our new look team.
I really liked mosey for his versatility and what he brought too the team off the ice. I felt that there was unfinished business for him after his injury, but sometimes new coaches see things differently.

I copied this message from a guy on The Hockey Forum

We had Carruth for two seasons in Fehervar. He was, on his day, the best goalie in the EBEL by far. The issue for him then was that teams worked out how to wind him up, and he had a relatively short fuse. But if he's able to control that a bit better now, that's a pretty incredible signing for this level.

Sounds very encouraging

kristian

I really liked mosey for his versatility and what he brought too the team off the ice. I felt that there was unfinished business for him after his injury, but sometimes new coaches see things differently.
Is Mosey a bit injure prone. Maybe not fully recovered from the injure( 2 years ago?). He's only played a handful of games in that time.

jenks33

Thread starter #220
I wonder if our back up goalie will be Stefano Durante. As a few others have said I think the other Import goalie is likely to be a young North American goalie rather than an experienced one. Stefano has liked a lot of Devils posts on Instagram. He mostly recently played for the American International College which is where the Giants recently signed Jeff Baum from. The assistant coach at the AIC played under Skalde at Cincinnati so there’s a connection there.
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/329125/stefano-durante