2021/22 Roster - Rumours/Predictions

moggy#9

I wonder if our back up goalie will be Stefano Durante. As a few others have said I think the other Import goalie is likely to be a young North American goalie rather than an experienced one. Stefano has liked a lot of Devils posts on Instagram. He mostly recently played for the American International College which is where the Giants recently signed Jeff Baum from. The assistant coach at the AIC played under Skalde at Cincinnati so there’s a connection there.
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/329125/stefano-durante
Looks interesting. If this one pans out I reckon the club will start looking at their opsec in order to defeat you, jenks.

jenks33

Thread starter #222
Looks interesting. If this one pans out I reckon the club will start looking at their opsec in order to defeat you, jenks.
The only thing about signing a very inexperienced import goalie (if we have) is how often can you rely on them to start games. I think Finny mentioned this the other day, apologise if it wasn’t Finny. Will a young North American goalie be content with starting the odd game and sitting in the stand most games so we can play an extra import forward? I’m not so sure.

moggy#9

The only thing about signing a very inexperienced import goalie (if we have) is how often can you rely on them to start games. I think Finny mentioned this the other day, apologise if it wasn’t Finny. Will a young North American goalie be content with starting the odd game and sitting in the stand most games so we can play an extra import forward? I’m not so sure.
I can't imagine that we'd sign an import goalie if we didn't think he would do any more than murdy. This guy seems to have done the business at college level, but admittedly that's different to any prob league.

As more teams move to goalie tandems, I can see the rules changing to count goalies as just one import - after all it's physically impossible for more than one to ice at a time.

kingmo19.1

Something taken somewhat for granted over years gone by, but isn’t it great to see teams getting players signed up - seemed we were a million miles away from this 4-5 months ago.

osh

Looking at the roster so far, We obviously know what our Brits can and can’t do, and we also know what our returning imports are capable of, however, at this stage I’m not overly impressed with the new imports. Hopefully they will all prove me wrong, but I expected a bit more to be honest. Time will tell.

jenks33

Thread starter #229
Looking at the roster so far, We obviously know what our Brits can and can’t do, and we also know what our returning imports are capable of, however, at this stage I’m not overly impressed with the new imports. Hopefully they will all prove me wrong, but I expected a bit more to be honest. Time will tell.
To be fair to the owners they’ve admitted that this years recruitment is a bit of a risk. As much as most of us are excited by Cox, Sanford, Lammon they’re a bit unproven, particularly in Europe. I’m happy enough with the recruitment so far as long as the remaining 3 forward signings are impressive signings. I’m convinced Haddad will be one and then I’m hoping for two forwards that are new to the league with proven track records.
I’m happy with the back end. Carruth, Register and Mikkelson are very good signings

We’re definitely "cutting our cloth" in line with reduced budget and likely reduced capacity allowed at IAW.
Pre-COVID I’d be a little underwhelmed with the latest new imports but it’s a different world now unfortunately and how competitive this team is going to be will largely depend on whether Sheffield, Nottingham and Belfast are "cutting their cloth" in a similar fashion.
With Sheffield’s record I won‘t be holding my breath though.

On a separate issue ice was laid in IAW today!

jenks33

Thread starter #231
[
We’re definitely "cutting our cloth" in line with reduced budget and likely reduced capacity allowed at IAW.
Pre-COVID I’d be a little underwhelmed with the new imports but it’s a different world now unfortunately and how competitive this team is going to be will largely depend on whether Sheffield, Nottingham and Belfast are "cutting their cloth" in a similar fashion.
With Sheffield’s record I won‘t be holding my breath though.

On a separate issue ice was laid in IAW today!
You’re right, our chances will depend on Sheffield and Belfast’s Recruitment. I already get the impression that both teams will be more experienced than us

Unfortunately, I fear that it won’t be a level playing field for the Devils as we will have to cope with COVID restrictions that the other teams quite simply won’t have!

Wannabe2

I have total faith in our organisation that again we will be the team to beat, the young lads will be the dogs, our initial signings will be the business, and our last signings will be the icing on the cake. No problems, no Sweat. The league is ours.. Happy Hockey Days

Hockeymad

There's loads of experience in that team only a few forwards who haven't.

louis Dixon batch Richardson register Mickelson.

Our young forwards lammon sanford and Cox are unknown. But that happens with most teams.

I think haddad will be back as our first line captain

moggy#9

The fact that this year is a very different kind of recruitment to what went before is bound to make people nervous. I'm not sure if this is a case of cutting our cloth or setting down foundations for the next few years. Remember, this is a club that thinks a couple of seasons ahead.

In terms of quality, I guess the question is where new guys suit on our depth chart. I imagine that the headline signings will happen last, but we already have guys who will make an impact in this league.

ASHIPP

Personally I will be just grateful to see the return of our beloved sport in whatever format.
Owners have been straight up with fans as always.. the roster is a bit of the unknown. We have been here before back in 2014 when Todd and Lord got a team together in just 6 weeks. Along the way they provided excitement and galvanised the disenchanted fan base to levels of hysteria!.... And BTW, won the Challenge Cup.

New experienced coach, new style, Covid restricted recruitment. Let's take the realistic approach that its possible it might not quite be like it has been in the past 5 years. But so far the roster is a great mix of experience, youth and speed with some really solid defensive signings.

It's going to be unpredictable but so much to get excited about.

jenks33

Thread starter #238
There's loads of experience in that team only a few forwards who haven't.

louis Dixon batch Richardson register Mickelson.

Our young forwards lammon sanford and Cox are unknown. But that happens with most teams.

I think haddad will be back as our first line captain
I suppose it depends on the remaining signings. You say only a few forwards are inexperienced but we’ve only got 8 forwards confirmed at the moment and 5 are pretty inexperienced. I think our last 3 import forwards will be more experienced than Cox, Sanford and Lammon though.

jenks33

Thread starter #239
Personally I will be just grateful to see the return of our beloved sport in whatever format.
Owners have been straight up with fans as always.. the roster is a bit of the unknown. We have been here before back in 2014 when Todd and Lord got a team together in just 6 weeks. Along the way they provided excitement and galvanised the disenchanted fan base to levels of hysteria!.... And BTW, won the Challenge Cup.

New experienced coach, new style, Covid restricted recruitment. Let's take the realistic approach that its possible it might not quite be like it has been in the past 5 years. But so far the roster is a great mix of experience, youth and speed with some really solid defensive signings.

It's going to be unpredictable but so much to get excited about.
Agreed. The most important thing this season is just having hockey back in Cardiff. In many ways I’ll be looking at this years team in a similar way to the 2014/15 team. I put absolutely no pressure on that team as they were all thrown together last minute and there were so many changes on and off the ice. It will be similar this season, Jarrod has had longer to recruit than Lordo had in 2014 but the changes from March 2020 to now have been drastic.

moggy#9

Agreed. The most important thing this season is just having hockey back in Cardiff. In many ways I’ll be looking at this years team in a similar way to the 2014/15 team. I put absolutely no pressure on that team as they were all thrown together last minute and there were so many changes on and off the ice. It will be similar this season, Jarrod has had longer to recruit than Lordo had in 2014 but the changes from March 2020 to now have been drastic.
We shouldn't underestimate the adjustment for jarrod himself. He and his family are coming into a new environment, he has a new team and a new league to get to grips with. And let's not get started with when he encounters British refs.