Devils Vs Steelers - League - 3rd Jan 24 - FO 19:30

kingmo19.1

Oh, one other thing I forgot to add to the list :-

18. As I'll be bankrolling the team, there will be absolutely NO sponsor names and logo's on the ice - just the respective fan voted Devils logo at centre ice.

:)

ASHIPP

Lordo would give
One main issue for me is that during last nights ‘schooling’ from the Steelers along with the one Guilford gave us he is on the bench with his hands in his pockets with not even a hint of frustration toward the players!

Imagine the likes of Tortorella or even Keefe, Paul Thompson….they would be giving their players an ear bashing. They need a rocket up the arse but he wasn’t giving it.

No good doing it in the interview after…..game was over!
Lordo would give an interview after these circumstances close to tears. Never seen any coach who wore his heart on his sleeve more than Andrew Lord . I would love to see that care, that passion, that commitment again in our team.
Criticise Keefe all you like,at least that Guy still has those values and he will definitely turn Belfast's fortunes around.

Finny

And whilst on the topic of cash and Sheffield‘s roster, Davy from AVFTB has tweeted tonight that this Sheffield team is “by far and away the most expensive roster ever assembled in the EIHL”.

Now, that might be partially down to inflation and he doesn’t name his source - but you can pretty much guess where that info has come from. It might be a bit of spin to try to deflect from the Giants org, but as I said last night I was shocked how many of their team have AHL experience.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #285
Rest assured - when I win the Lottery, I’m buying the owners out (will give you a good price guys, so don’t worry).

Were bringing back:-

1. Passionate physical fast hockey.
2. An intimidating intro & pregame build-up.
3. Giving the entire place a proper revamp.
4. Appointing Kev to run the bar and decorate it like a hockey bar.
5. The old Pizza guy from outside the BBT.
6. A proper food outlet in the rink.
7. A decent selection of beers.
8. Player / fan interaction events.
9. More open training sessions.
10. Competitions to bring the fans closer into the club.
11. Fan suggestion boxes - that are discussed, voted on and implemented.
12. The old logo (fans to vote on the original or the previous one).
13. Fan competition to design the jersey each season.
14. Bringing the Junior Devils formally under the Devils umbrella with a joined up coaching approach.
15. Launching the Cardiff Devils NIHL team that will offer a pathway for promising young Brits to advance.
16. Pad 2 reinstated in all its glory.
17. Recognising The Inferno and making an effort to integrate it with the club.
I know @James has replied to this already, but just to add something extra to #17...

The system is still there, we haven't changed that side of the website so if the club allowed us to/wanted us to we could run Q&As all over again and we'd be happy to, but that situation doesn't exist at the moment.

@SteveKing has always been happy to speak to us, he's never dodged a question we've sent him and his answers have wracked up thousands and thousands of views. We've now run 4 written Q&As with steve, previous to that the only owner that replied to us about doing one was Ragan during probably some of the worst times for the club. We took some flak for even running that one.

But also, i'm not sure The Inferno should be integrated with the club, Phillips threatened us with lawsuits when he didn't like what was posted, Burge tried to buy us out, Ragan had some interesting views and as for the current group, they've been open and as already mentioned, they need to take some time before replying in general on the forum because of the hat they wear. But remaining independant is probably for the best, although letting us speak to the players again would be a nice thing :)

As it stands, the archive of Q&As that we undertook can be found HERE but you can see how many we used to do during the offseason, and I genuinely think they were a good thing. We got to ask some different questions, we got a bit of the players personalities thrown in and as a massive bonus, we had content the club could and did use for their programmes during the season! Win win!

But as it stands, Steve has said he is open to speaking to us again, not sure about Francis and TK has never replied, but he has done a recorded thing with AVFTB so maybe it's because we wanted to stick with written, or it's just that we're a useful thing to take a shot at every so often to distract from something else going on.

One final thing to try and keep this thread on topic, someone mentioned about a team without winners onboard and one of the responses we had from Neil Francis back in offseason 2016 might add to that:
The Inferno - We've had a fairly high turnover of players this off-season with 5 retirements and some movement to other clubs. It feels like some of the new players coming in have a lot of leadership and winning mentality, was this a recruitment objective or has it just worked out that way?

Neil Francis - Experience and winning mentality was definitely something we were looking to add this year. We've recently been a pretty young team full of potential but clearly we didn't get across the line last year when our potential had put us in the driving seat. That was so frustrating for the owners, management, fans and players that we felt we needed to add a few guys who have been used to winning championships and will hopefully take the games by the scruff of the neck at the business end of the season.
I'm convinced the club aren't actively trying to avoid recruiting winners, but it does feel that maybe the recruitment side of things isn't quite what it was in years gone by?

Bit of a ramble there, so the TLDR version is; We'd be happy to speak to whoever, whenever again :)

august04 2.0

Do you think the club are just sitting on this cash and not reinvesting it into the club? There are lots of fans claiming that our team isn’t as good as Sheffield’s, but then also complaining at the club trying to maximise cash flow.
Well if they are reinvesting into the club (of which the team is the most important aspect for us fans), then they’re not exactly getting value for money with this rabble.

One main issue for me is that during last nights ‘schooling’ from the Steelers along with the one Guilford gave us he is on the bench with his hands in his pockets with not even a hint of frustration toward the players!

Imagine the likes of Tortorella or even Keefe, Paul Thompson….they would be giving their players an ear bashing. They need a rocket up the arse but he wasn’t giving it.

No good doing it in the interview after…..game was over!
Cant agree more with this, watching PR the last few games hes just stood there doing nothing msybe writing stuff down, but not in the players ears etc

E.D.S.

Do you think the club are just sitting on this cash and not reinvesting it into the club? There are lots of fans claiming that our team isn’t as good as Sheffield’s, but then also complaining at the club trying to maximise cash flow.
I hope the owners don’t feel they have to answer that question and I really hope they don’t. That’s not in doubt here. Time after time they’ve stuck their hand in their pockets and unreservedly supported this club and this team. I’d love to hear their thoughts on what is being served up in terms of performances at present but questioning their intent or how they’ve financially supported (and saved this club) should be left well alone by all parties, in my view.

Finny

I hope the owners don’t feel they have to answer that question and I really hope they don’t. That’s not in doubt here. Time after time they’ve stuck their hand in their pockets and unreservedly supported this club and this team. I’d love to hear their thoughts on what is being served up in terms of performances at present but questioning their intent or how they’ve financially supported (and saved this club) should be left well alone by all parties, in my view.
Not sure if you think I’m questioning the owners motives with this post, but I’m not.

I was trying to point out that the club need to maximise its income to be able to compete with the likes of Belfast and Sheffield.
Both Sheffield and Belfast have been getting bigger and bigger attendances in recent seasons. That’s allowed them to have bigger and bigger budgets.

We cant rely on bigger attendances for a bigger budget. We have to get more money from things like merchandise and sponsorship.
I don’t have a season ticket. But if I did and I couldn’t go I’d have no problem with the club gaining a couple extra quid to resell my seat in exchange for a free webcast.

Rest assured - when I win the Lottery, I’m buying the owners out (will give you a good price guys, so don’t worry).

Were bringing back:-

1. Passionate physical fast hockey.
2. An intimidating intro & pregame build-up.
3. Giving the entire place a proper revamp.
4. Appointing Kev to run the bar and decorate it like a hockey bar.
5. The old Pizza guy from outside the BBT.
6. A proper food outlet in the rink.
7. A decent selection of beers.
8. Player / fan interaction events.
9. More open training sessions.
10. Competitions to bring the fans closer into the club.
11. Fan suggestion boxes - that are discussed, voted on and implemented.
12. The old logo (fans to vote on the original or the previous one).
13. Fan competition to design the jersey each season.
14. Bringing the Junior Devils formally under the Devils umbrella with a joined up coaching approach.
15. Launching the Cardiff Devils NIHL team that will offer a pathway for promising young Brits to advance.
16. Pad 2 reinstated in all its glory.
17. Recognising The Inferno and making an effort to integrate it with the club.

E.D.S.

Not sure if you think I’m questioning the owners motives with this post, but I’m not.

I was trying to point out that the club need to maximise its income to be able to compete with the likes of Belfast and Sheffield.
Both Sheffield and Belfast have been getting bigger and bigger attendances in recent seasons. That’s allowed them to have bigger and bigger budgets.

We cant rely on bigger attendances for a bigger budget. We have to get more money from things like merchandise and sponsorship.
I don’t have a season ticket. But if I did and I couldn’t go I’d have no problem with the club gaining a couple extra quid to resell my seat in exchange for a free webcast.
Not at all. I can see why you’d say that having used your quote. Not questioning you at all. Apologies. I should have made that clear.

At season ticket holders meeting when the new logo was revealed , Todd stated other teams would look at it and it would put fear into them. Makes things even worse when your being spanked week in week out, after last nights fiasco I’d like someone from the club to tell us who the leadership group they bang on about are in this team, as I’m struggling to see any leadership

And whilst on the topic of cash and Sheffield‘s roster, Davy from AVFTB has tweeted tonight that this Sheffield team is “by far and away the most expensive roster ever assembled in the EIHL”.

Now, that might be partially down to inflation and he doesn’t name his source - but you can pretty much guess where that info has come from. It might be a bit of spin to try to deflect from the Giants org, but as I said last night I was shocked how many of their team have AHL experience.
They have the same amount(11) of players who have played AHL as us, in fact the devils players have played more games in the AHL than the Sheffield players.

moggy#9

That's an interesting observation, and something that I was scared of - the lack of an effective wage cap resulting in a completely uneven playing field. We all knew that the Steelers were desperate to succeed, and it looks like they've made sure that they will.

The problem is that the lessons of the isl haven't been learnt. The reaction of we, the fans, at a rival club shows that everyone else will want to have a team next season of a similar standard. If clubs with lower income are forced to spend beyond their means, there's only one way that will end.

If the eihl was a 20 team league, all playing out of 10000 seat arenas, then this might be sustainable. As it is, losing one club would put the league on the edge, losing 2 or 3 would cause it to fold.

Don't forget 18. restarting adult Learn to Play hockey

Other than a brief period when the Cardiff fire organised it during their off season 18 months ago, there has been no adult learn to play level ice hockey in Cardiff since Covid lockdowns closed the arena in March 2020. If someone is watching the Devils and thinks "i could do better than that" and wants to learn, they have to go to Bristol nowadays. The lack of adult LTP is probably related to lack of Pad 2. Even the most welcoming rec teams need people who can skate/stop. Hockey stop is normally a minimum requirement and that is not taught at the figure skating lessons available at the rink

Also addendum to 17. Reinstate Match Night Live! Either gift a web stream to a volunteer to do MNL or have someone at the arena doing it. Those live text updates of what was happening in games used to be awesome and were a highlight of devils fandom in the BBT days
A stick and puck session would be good, but that's probably down to rink not devils

ASHIPP

Steelers' success is not all to do with AHL experience. Fox has held on to an excellent core of players and successfully added (and kept) newer players for subsequent seasons.
Supporting cast of developing young Brits from an established farm team (Steeldogs), some of whom played for Leeds, the top EHL league team.

They have a conditioning coach whose regime keeps them fit and strong. Under the stability of a long term head coach, gradual building of the roster but keeping/developing players has allowed them to finally buy in to Fox's systems and tactics.