11th import to be announced tomorrow

Rempel16

I'm also in the minority that is happy to see him back.

He see's the ice well, has good positioning and clearly is deceptively more offensive than people realise - 29 points in 52 games last season shows that. And he came up with big contributions too (notably the overtime goal against the Blaze away).

In addition to this, he carried the D on his back whilst injured for most of last season and deserves a shot at a healthy campaign so we can see what he is really capable of.

After all, he was touted as an excellent prospect when signed last summer.

I don't feel he needs to put up Schutte-type points (Werner is more of a 2-way defenceman), I think that between Marsh, Richardson and more hopefully Plumton there is enough offence across all three defence pairings.

Welcome back Tyson, I look forward to you proving the doubters wrong.

Temme

Thread starter #42
DevilDom said:
i feel this signing leaves us really lacking some firepower and therefore over reliant on 3 or 4 players to score points as Tyson is Not really an offensive D man. On the plus side our D looks very solid now and we certainly shouldn't get pushed around. Welcome back Tyson.
Tyson led the league in D goals in Italy in 10-11, owing to injuries and a lack of toughness last season he was forced to change his role in the team.

Granted he struggled a tad last season due to injury, and as others have said played ridiculous minutes and made the odd mistake.

However when i think back to the start of last season, he was certainly a stand out player in September/October.

Delighted to see him back.

Ger-Devils

Tyson played a large chunk of last year injured and we now have a fully fit player like the start of last season.

Glad to have him back and for those who think we have the budget for some major high end Offensive D are mad. Every team in Europe not just the UK is looking for that player right now and the money is silly for them.

Paul Sullivan

I'm very pleased with this. I like to see good players get the chance to have a proper run at things after an unlucky and extremely difficult season.

Like many before him in Devils colours, Tyson played hurt. A lot. And with an injury that hinders the number one weapon in an offensive D-man's arsenal - the shot.

When the season started last year he looked like the second coming of Wes Jarvis, until his injury. Saw no complaints about him when he was getting stuck into Olson in Coventry (and doing it very well). He is a quality defenceman, big, strong and tough and I look forward to seeing him play on a team where he isn't the go-to tough guy on a list of 7/8 imports.

Welcome back Ty.

Very happy to see him back, an injury free Tyson Marsh is a luxury that any EIHL team would want. He was outstanding before the injury last year, with the off season rest we should get the real Tyson Marsh back.

The Devil Himself

Always nice to see a now injury-free former Devil return. Sure Tyson will put some points up and play solid D all year.

I do wonder if this was G's first choice though. All the talk of taking their time, and seeing what was available, makes me wonder if this is a Plan B.

Hopefully the signing will be a great one for the Devils. Roster done, Game on!

Wannabe2

The first few months of the season I would have given Tyson a 5 yr contract he was that good, he did however suffer a few very nasty injuries, that would have affected any player, one being a nasty shoulder injury. Tyson has a awesome shot, and showed that when he was fit. He is a tough guy, taking a draw with Olson, and a win over Lepine, for those who havent seen the video when Stewart injured Faulkner, Marsh was goin straight for him until blight I think it was accidently skated into Marsh and then Stewart was back on the bench. Welcome back Tyson, a fit Marsh will do me nicely thank you, we now have our squad, I for one are very happy with it, cant wait now to get it on.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

ASHIPP

Before injury Tyson was a stand out player.We really do need this to happen again looking at the other teams rosters. League wil be really competitive and our forwards will need additional scoring support. The second coming of Wes Jarvis is what we hope for.

:?

voth26

tyson is skating with mac and blighter, he's fit and healthy and im sure he will have a point to prove to the devils fans,he may not be everybodies cup of tea or fan favorite but not every player is. BUT he is a CARDIFF DEVILS player therefore he deserves the same support as the rest of the guys that walk out on the 31st, cant wait roll on the first game

A good safe signing I think. Tyson racked up 29 points in 52 games last season (6 goals/23 assists). Look forward to seeing you guys play.

Can't wait for the pre season game between us :D

Sheincar

Under-whelmed. Can forgive him not fighting & not shooting as he was injured. Cannot forgive the number of times he gave the puck away. Smacks of Plan B to me.

Finny

At the end of last season I said I would be disappointed if we re-signed Marsh. However, with the recruitment we have had over the summer I'm actually quite pleased (and impressed) he has returned.

When he signed last year he did so as our #1 defenceman. Our toughest player on D who would also play offensively when needed. Now, though he isn't.
He will be behind both Plumpton and Ross on D in terms of dropping the gloves, and of course Conboy and Lord up front. So someone who has signed as our second toughest players last year is now 5th!!!

The most infuriating thing about Marsh last season was that he showed spells of brilliance, but then would make a daft mistake. He started the season brilliantly but for some reason seemed to lose his focus, perhaps a combination of the injury, his studying and perhaps trying to do too many roles at the same time.

I was expecting our final Dman to be a bit of a gamble, a CHLer with good scoring numbers but perhaps a bit suspect defensively. Instead we have a player with nearly 100 AHL games, 200+ ECHL games, familiar with the club and gets along well with the returning team mates. Something that can be overlooked.

Although he did finish that season in Italy as the top scoring defenceman, I can't see him putting up big numbers here - though I would love to be proven wrong.
I would rather us identify Richie as our most offensive defenceman. He carries the puck brilliantly, rarely ever gives it away and I think if he was allowed to focus more on that with a stay-at-home Dmen behind him - he could score 10-15 goals and lots of assists.

And without being harsh on Maxi, if it was a decision between him or Marsh playing D, Marsh would win every time!

Sliput

Sheincar said:
Under-whelmed. Can forgive him not fighting & not shooting as he was injured. Cannot forgive the number of times he gave the puck away. Smacks of Plan B to me.
So who or what would be your plan B ?

As has been mentioned on here, we don't have unlimited cash to spend on the Devils and some of the signings (very good signings) will not have come cheap.

I have no problem with us signing Tyson, he played injured a lot of last season and when he did play well he was excellent. We all often say we trust G and Franny when it comes to signings , and so far they haven't let us down.

People started moaning that it looked like we were going with 10 imports.....now we have 11, I am one happy Devils fan :)

I think we should reserve judgement on tyson until we see what he can bring this season.played well in first couple of months of last season and then played with an injury.Devils have a full rosters now and what g and franny need now is fans to pack the bbt make it an intimidaing place for away teams to come to.Roll on the new hockey season

Finny said:
Instead we have a player with nearly 100 AHL games, 200+ ECHL games, familiar with the club and gets along well with the returning team mates. Something that can be overlooked.
Think you have hit the nail on the head there Finny plus he has worked with G&F for a season already. I think with a full and fit roster Marsh will do just fine and probably much better than that.

Last season was a mare with players being gassed, injured or long term suspensions. Tyson played injured and trying to shore up a very short bench. Hopefully this year will be much different for him.

I look at our full roster now and am very pleased with what has been put together. Four lines of forwards, really solid D, Brit pack with some quality and emerging young players, quality nettie, tough players who will stand no nonsense.

Could Batch not play as an offensive D man if required? Looks like he will be a power forward but could drop back if required.

I'm more positive about this roster than at any time over the last two seasons. Welcome back Tyson!

DevilDom

Temme said:
DevilDom said:
i feel this signing leaves us really lacking some firepower and therefore over reliant on 3 or 4 players to score points as Tyson is Not really an offensive D man. On the plus side our D looks very solid now and we certainly shouldn't get pushed around. Welcome back Tyson.
Tyson led the league in D goals in Italy in 10-11, owing to injuries and a lack of toughness last season he was forced to change his role in the team.

Granted he struggled a tad last season due to injury, and as others have said played ridiculous minutes and made the odd mistake.

However when i think back to the start of last season, he was certainly a stand out player in September/October.

Delighted to see him back.
Good point with regards his goals in Italy.

If considered in isolation I'm happy to see Tyson back, however considering the D unit as a whole and as it was touted we were looking for an offensive D man I just worry a little we will be lacking in this area. I agree with the posts on here stating he started last season well and if he tailed off during the year as a result of injury and / or over playing then perhaps he should be given a second chance.

Overall, not dissappointed but not knocked off my feet either.