2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

I'm sure Ben would improve our British pack. My only reservation is that not once but twice when the going got tough he walked away. If we want to build a unity within the squad is he really the type we want in the changing room?

Slartibartfast

It was extremely trying times. The only player who stayed consistent in that time was the wise old owl Tyson Marsh despite everything.
For a young guy like Ben I dont blame him for getting out. Back in Gods country and a management who look after their players I think he will thrive and mature. Would love to see him back

wildthing74

fried egg said:
I'm sure Ben would improve our British pack. My only reservation is that not once but twice when the going got tough he walked away. If we want to build a unity within the squad is he really the type we want in the changing room?
Twice walked away? Really? Don't you think it might just have been to better himself as a player? The first time he was pretty much a kid who benefited from extra ice in Basingstoke and came back more confident and he was promised a bigger role under Finnerty.It may not have worked out that way in year 1 but last year he was one of their main men and played all situations.

To be honest when them 2 idiots were running the club I wouldn't have blamed 1 single player for moving to a more stable club just remember the crap that was going on then.

How I remember it was at the start of the season G laid down a challenge to Ben Davies and Sam Smith saying they would both get a fair chance but were both challenging for the same spot.They both accepted that.However when it was clear that Sam was winning the battle Ben left. It was the season we lost to the Steelers on count back and at the end of that season we really could have done with an extra body. The Pope Regan year was a disaster and he bolted for the door again.Other players stayed loyal and were rewarded with the new ownership. I'd not be to disappointed if he signed as I've already said the Brit pack would be strengthened. Just don't think he would be deserving of the fanfare that would undoubtedly follow his return.

ASHIPP

Slartibartfast said:
It was extremely trying times. The only player who stayed consistent in that time was the wise old owl Tyson Marsh despite everything.
For a young guy like Ben I dont blame him for getting out. Back in Gods country and a management who look after their players I think he will thrive and mature. Would love to see him back
Think that's doing a terrible disservice to Lordo, Richie, Batchy,Matthew, Mo and the younger British players who also toughed it out under terrible circumstances and stayed consistent.

There were players who quickly signed for other clubs at the end of the season
Who can blame them....job security is everything and they would not neccessarily have known what was going to happen with the purchase of the Club.

Thankfully for us, many of those admirable players who stuck it out rejoined the Devils under new ownership and we are so lucky to be enjoying the benefit of that under much happier times.

Re: 2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

fried egg said:
How I remember it was at the start of the season G laid down a challenge to Ben Davies and Sam Smith saying they would both get a fair chance but were both challenging for the same spot.They both accepted that.However when it was clear that Sam was winning the battle Ben left. It was the season we lost to the Steelers on count back and at the end of that season we really could have done with an extra body. The Pope Regan year was a disaster and he bolted for the door again.Other players stayed loyal and were rewarded with the new ownership. I'd not be to disappointed if he signed as I've already said the Brit pack would be strengthened. Just don't think he would be deserving of the fanfare that would undoubtedly follow his return.
Players gotta play. Everyone criticises Biz for riding the pine in AHL and not dropping down for more minutes yet we criticise ben for dropping down. Those extra minutes improved him dramatically and I still believe it was the right decision.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

zoesdevil

danhall76 said:
fried egg said:
Players gotta play. Everyone criticises Biz for riding the pine in AHL and not dropping down for more minutes yet we criticise ben for dropping down. Those extra minutes improved him dramatically and I still believe it was the right decision.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Totally agree, everytime we played Braehead last season Ben was immense & most of clan fans comments on Twitter said he was one of their best player most games & always gave everything.
I'd love him back for Devils.

Played for us during the latter part of the ill-fated season, when Pope replaced G as Coach, and Ragan was 'investing' in cheap players

ASHIPP

Hoping it will be a big solid experienced stay-at-home blueliner. Someone like Kyle Wharton, hopefully.

If Andrew Hotham stays I got a feeling it will be one of the latest announcements.

ASHIPP

ASHIPP said:
Hoping it will be a big solid experienced stay-at-home blueliner. Someone like Kyle Wharton, hopefully.

If Andrew Hotham stays I got a feeling it will be one of the latest announcements.
;) :shock:

Big_Mac said:
So - who do we think the 12pm signing will be?

My guess - Sean Bentivoglio (sp?)

Ok seriously wrong but very happy the Hothams

Would love to see Bentivolglio and a seriously physical D man (or power forward) if Culligan is switched to D to complete the squad.