2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

osh

GravyBoatCaptain said:
Does this mean the end of Trevor Hendrikx?

I really, really hope not!

Why do you hope not? How would we benefit from having him on the roster for next season do you think ( he still may be signed of course, I think he's done a good job for us but think another season would be a season too much )

Particular favourite of mine. He's a solid defenseman, drops the gloves when needed, provides grunt on the backend and throws the meanest hip check in the league.

Not to mention he's another Ginger! :lol:

osh

GravyBoatCaptain said:
Particular favourite of mine. He's a solid defenseman, drops the gloves when needed, provides grunt on the backend and throws the meanest hip check in the league.

Not to mention he's another Ginger! :lol:
Fair comment !
Solid defence man - yes, but exposed on bigger ice and therefore doesn't make the physical impact he once did on our smaller ice pad of the BBT.
Grunt ? Not sure what you mean tbh.
Meanest hip check - true when it came off, but missed so many as well it became a little embarrassing. Wish him well, and if it's with us, so be it, but I'm hoping for someone, bigger, more mobile and with good discipline who drops the gloves when needed and not an instigator.

zoesdevil

Big_Mac said:
Devil_Abroad said:
So no Ben Davies then

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/ice- ... ar_twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would certainly appear so from that press release, however I wonder if there maybe a element of throwing out a smokescreen? or maybe its just my wishful thinking
It could be a clever bit of wording, as it says theyve completed their British recruitment, but that could mean Ben is already signed up & just hasn't been announced yet.

ASHIPP

zoesdevil said:
Big_Mac said:
Devil_Abroad said:
So no Ben Davies then

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/ice- ... ar_twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would certainly appear so from that press release, however I wonder if there maybe a element of throwing out a smokescreen? or maybe its just my wishful thinking
It could be a clever bit of wording, as it says theyve completed their British recruitment, but that could mean Ben is already signed up & just hasn't been announced yet.
I think it's a very clear statement 'the Devils have completed their British unit with new arrival Matthew Myers'. Would love to see Ben back too but he would want as much ice time as possible. Where is he going to get that? At Clan last season he had it.

zoesdevil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

It could be a clever bit of wording, as it says theyve completed their British recruitment, but that could mean Ben is already signed up & just hasn't been announced yet.[/quote]

I think it's a very clear statement 'the Devils have completed their British unit with new arrival Matthew Myers'. Would love to see Ben back too but he would want as much ice time as possible. Where is he going to get that? At Clan last season he had it.[/quote]

I agree more ice time for him will be difficult, but if Lord can find room for him somewhere, then a Hervato-Davies-Mo 4th line let loose with their speed on a tiring opposing 4th line in 3rd period, will be invaluable for us.

Finny

The Devils have been very secretive in recent years as to who they are signing.

Regardless of whether they are or aren't signing Davies, I doubt they would be telling WalesOnline.

Foxy

Big_Mac said:
Played for us during the latter part of the ill-fated season, when Pope replaced G as Coach, and Ragan was 'investing' in cheap players
Must have made a good impression on me. Dont remember him at all lol

zoesdevil

Throwing this out there, do u think Mr. McGrattan will sign for us, as he's still not signed anywhere & is an unrestricted free agent. There's your big power forward! I'm going to say he'll sign Me. Steve King!! I'm probably way off, as always!

ASHIPP

zoesdevil said:
Throwing this out there, do u think Mr. McGrattan will sign for us, as he's still not signed anywhere & is an unrestricted free agent. There's your big power forward! I'm going to say he'll sign Me. Steve King!! I'm probably way off, as always!
Great to dream! McGrattan was Alternate Captain at San Diego last year. He still has a lot to give at AHL level. Even some of the Flames fans still live in hope he will make a return to the organisation. There was even a rumour he might go back to Calgary organisation in some backoffice team role a while back.

JC23

Wasn't McGrattan talking of retirement? Sure I read that somewhere.

Personally I think we've signed Hendo's replacement in Scott Hotham (minus the hipchecks and dropping of gloves) better outlet pass, more reliable defensively, and all 'round more mobile.

Do people still think we have nobody who's tough on the team? I mean, we have Josh Batch...how many people in the league want to drop them with him? He's been through every tough guy there has been over the past few seasons, and I can't see anyone who's been signed elsewhere so far will be that much different. Admittedly I'd like to see someone else come in who can give us that mean edge that I feel Josh lacks a little bit, (sometimes he's a bit nice, no?) but I don't think we need to worry too much about being tough. At least not to the point where we end up going out and signing a 4th line plug/goon.

jimmy snels

I think I've watched us be bullied far to often with hendrikx IN the team let alone without. I take no pleasure in watching people take absolute runs at our players knowing there's no come back. In my mind we never replaced voth and ever since we've gone for "team toughness" which is code for we've got a couple who may or may not stick up for their team mates. The exception has been hendo who always has. To think he will be replaced by another lightweight fills me with dread. We need AT LEAST 2 big physical players if not 3 in our remaining signings.

BostonBart22

maybe we should go down the road of having an extra import straight from the off if devils could afford to, it would keep players on their toes from the start of the season as opposed to last season when i think russell came in and upset the applecart with certain players being benched towards the end of the season. hendo more than others was the unfortunate player last season to be benched , there were others carrying injuries , salters, and like lordo said in his recent interview that hotham was carrying an injury as well, surely its better to play a fit player and not have him benched when there were injured players playing. :x

I don't think for a second we're being bullied. If anything, Salters and Hendrikx are the cause of the problems. Thugs and playing physical are too separate things.

ASHIPP

Would like to think the Devils will not carry any spare imports this season unless they absolutely have too. We saw what happened when the spares became fit last season. They might deny it but the constant chopping of lines and accomodating players when fit undoubtedly disrupted consistency of lines and systems....and, who knows, motivation as well for some players?

Consistency and stability are so key in developing chemistry. Hopefully lines will stay intact.

Wannabe2

jimmy snels said:
I think I've watched us be bullied far to often with hendrikx IN the team let alone without. I take no pleasure in watching people take absolute runs at our players knowing there's no come back. In my mind we never replaced voth and ever since we've gone for "team toughness" which is code for we've got a couple who may or may not stick up for their team mates. The exception has been hendo who always has. To think he will be replaced by another lightweight fills me with dread. We need AT LEAST 2 big physical players if not 3 in our remaining signings.
Will take 3 amazingly tough cookies who are incredibly talented,as our last 3 signings.

bb1

I really do think we need a couple of tough guys who will drop the gloves. If Hendo isn't resigned then I hope we replace him with a physical hard hitting D man in a similar mould.

There are guys like Lepine out there as well as guys who play physical and have a wealth of experience like Jean Phillipe Cote, Mathieu Roy (not sheffields) and Brookbank....just depends on how much we can afford. Don't get me wrong I'd have Hendo back in a heartbeat. Very experienced and has won championships. But if we don't then we need a leader with these qualities like those above. Plus they all play a physical no nonsense style we need at the back.

As for forwards it will be interesting.....if the rumour of Bentivoglio is true then our euro holders are complete and we will require firepower and a physical presence who can play and step up to Fitzy and Nickerson. Swez been mentioned but I think given his age for that type of player/role (which is tough) then we can do better. Guys like Mcgratten, Broll (younger only 23) and other AHLers now may become available given latest rule changes. I've seen that Jean Francois Jacques is an unrestricted free agent currently in Austria...now he would fit the bill nicely. All comes down to £££ I guess.

Great that we will now start to see a lot of good players over here in the coming seasons

Ocko

Or, maybe Lord is going to put Culligan on D. He said in the interview at the time of signing he wasn't sure whether he was playing him as a F or D if I remember correctly. If he does go that way it would mean the signing of Ulmer and Betivoglio could be accompanied by a tough winger.

I'd prefer our tough guy to be a forward anyway, and also our D isn't lacking in size; we could still have every D pairing with a player over 6 foot but would probably be the most mobile unit in the league.

Jean Francois Jacques would be a huuuge signing. Quite hard to find a big physical presence that can produce points like that. Agree with above post think culli on d would provide a very complete, big, mobile defensive unit. Ulmer, bentivoglio and this tough guy mentioned would put us in dreamland.