2021/22 Roster - Rumours/Predictions

august04 2.0

As I've said before, it's a great pity that a number of players never got the send off that they deserved.
I suppose it is a shame, but let’s not forget that the likes of Martin and Haddad in particular, after being offered contracts to return this year (we assume that anyway), have chosen to play elsewhere and not return. It wasn't the club's decision for them to leave. I’m not one for harking back either - if you decide to leave the club, it’s a case of thanks for everything and good luck for the future - but then you’re part of the history of the club and not it’s future. In the coming weeks and months, I’d rather give attention to those players who want to play for the Devils. And I desperately hope that next season, we don’t constantly comment on Lord and Haddad at the Swamp Rabbits, Martin at the Graz 99ers or any other team quite frankly. I may be in a minority here and a grumpy old buggar but I couldn’t give two hoots about any other team than the Cardiff Devils.

Devil94

As for the Skate Skale rumours, I'm sure he's a talented kid but going from high school to this standard must be quite a big leap.
The only thing that I think of is that in the CHL it would give us 4 full lines as the bench size would allow that. But that's an even bigger leap, playing against the best teams in Europe.
And if he's going to be around all year anyway, could be a very cost effective way of having a reserve in case of injury too. But difficult to judge from stats how good he is.

Wannabe2

Sorry to see Haddad go, was convinced he was returning and he has been a rock for this club, but as always we move on, new faces to watch, new players to see, and a new season to enjoy. New fans favourites to make and new memories to cherish. Happy Hockey Days

SteveKing

A few things on a busy Devils day. First off, very excited about Brodie Reid joining us. Another high end offensive talent that has proven it in several very good leagues. Seems like a very nice guy with a young family. Brodie actually spent a month practicing with my son's junior team last year during the lockdown and the reports on him as a person are very good.

Secondly, very tough to lose Joey. He was signed to play with us until just a couple of weeks ago but he determined that it would just be too difficult given the travel restrictions and vaccine requirements. Joey and his wife have been such a huge part of the winning and the culture on and off the ice.

mjh

A few things on a busy Devils day. First off, very excited about Brodie Reid joining us. Another high end offensive talent that has proven it in several very good leagues. Seems like a very nice guy with a young family. Brodie actually spent a month practicing with my son's junior team last year during the lockdown and the reports on him as a person are very good.

Secondly, very tough to lose Joey. He was signed to play with us until just a couple of weeks ago but he determined that it would just be too difficult given the travel restrictions and vaccine requirements. Joey and his wife have been such a huge part of the winning and the culture on and off the ice.
Steve, does this mean we need to find a last minute addition to the roster to replace Joey or is this already sorted?

SteveKing

Already sorted, MJH. I couldn't be more excited about our roster. High end goaltending, a very solid defence with a great blend of defensive acumen and high end offense and then a deep forward group with a mix of hungry youth, accomplished vets, offensive talent as well as physical play.

Now it's over to coach Skalde to shape this beautiful heap of clay into a championship team.

jenks33

Thread starter #488

Hi Steve, are you allowed to give an update on roster sizes for next season? And if it is 19 are we likely to carry a spare? Cheers

Devils86

We really are very lucky to have owners that engage with the fans so easily.

Thanks Steve and the rest of the Calgary 4 for everything. Irrespective of how the league campaign goes it's just great to have a new era and to be back! The pressures on other organizations (eg the Clan) just reminds us of how lucky we are.

SteveKing

Jenks, from what I've been told, it is 19 players so teams will have to go with 11 forwards similar to what they do in the ECHL. We are also expected to stay to a defined salary cap, which we have done. These changes obviously made this year more challenging in our recruiting but it also was the small silver lining in the huge turnover our team has had. It's really difficult to negotiate salary reductions for returning players!

Given what we have all been through, making these changes in order to help out the smaller market clubs was a small price to pay to have a healthy 10 team league. Hope that helps!

jenks33

Thread starter #492
Jenks, from what I've been told, it is 19 players so teams will have to go with 11 forwards similar to what they do in the ECHL. We are also expected to stay to a defined salary cap, which we have done. These changes obviously made this year more challenging in our recruiting but it also was the small silver lining in the huge turnover our team has had. It's really difficult to negotiate salary reductions for returning players!

Given what we have all been through, making these changes in order to help out the smaller market clubs was a small price to pay to have a healthy 10 team league. Hope that helps!
Great, thanks for clarifying that.

Kevlar68

I don't get how you can know that. All the teams are unknown quantities until the season starts. Players may not gel, plays may not suit, fitness levels could be piss poor, some could be just in it for a wage.
Who knows how each team will pan out so i think that statement is a bit premature but we'll see when the seasons over i guess but not yet.
Sport is littered with great players that were crap after moves and the opposite crap signings that were written off have exceled and became stars.

Last edited:

BostonBart22

Interesting. The thing to remember with each of Murphy and besky is they're a couple of years older. In the case of goalies, my personal opinion is that what we have is at least as good, and we won't have to rely on the same guy every night.
I thought Murphy retired thats why Whistle signed

Does the salary cap include accommodation fees as rental prices in the U.K. can vary massively e.g property in Belfast is cheaper than Cardiff ask Todd he made a tv programme about it ha ha.

p.s Maybe Todd can do a bit of part time work as an estate agent and presto more money for fancy hockey players.

Last edited:

jenks33

Thread starter #498
Our success may depend on how Lammon and Sanford get on. I expect Reid, Crandall, Dupont (if he has signed) and Cox to do well.
Lammon will probably get more minutes than he got in the ECHL and how will Sanford bounce back after his frustrating season last year. I’ve got confidence in both but time will tell

Devil94

So the lines may possibly look like this:

Dupont Lammon Reid

Cox Sanford Crandall

Mcnally Dixon Davies

Waller Duggan
Yeah looks like that to me. When Lammon signed I didn't think he would be a first line centre, but when more pieces of the puzzle have been put together it looks likely. But those 2 top lines are interchangable, his line could be the 2nd.

If DuPont signs as well, that leaves us with one more import slot. Surely that would be the last defenseman. Can't see how Ben O'Connor fits in to all this really.

Wannabe2

Hockeymad is really the right name for you buddy, we won’t come close to the Giants, they are too good Jesus you haven’t even seen there average team yet. How about a little side bet buddy £100 say the Devils finish higher than the Giants, winning money to go to the Marie Curie cancer hospice. Also why do you say we, who is your team, if it’s Devils what you smoking, if it’s Giants you have my sympathy.