Belfast Giants v Cardiff Devils - Sat 7pm - Chat/Updates

TheStub

Just the way it seemed to me watching the live feed.

I wouldn't mind watching it again, to get a better opinion.

On a related note, I watched the Sky coverage of the Steeler/Devils game from that double header weekend (I was there). We didn't play as badly as I remembered - not fantastic, but a whole lot better than I felt we did whilst sat there.

For me, this season we are a lot better positionally. Miller, Smith and Max seem to not be firing, but whilst separated from game they seem to making the right moves, but not finding the net.

Lyle has shocked me, and from what I saw tonight he played out of his skin. The first three goals, the entire D (that is every skating player) should look to themselves - but the final two he was unlucky. I think we over extended looking for the equaliser.

Every time I see a recording of the Devils this season, compared to last, I am struck with how much more 'together' they are playing. The D are working well to close down lanes, the forwards are getting themselves into the right positions.

Passing is my big concern. Last season I would be shouting "where are you going" no it is more "who was that to?".

Tonight, we took the game from 3-0 to 3-3. I think there are a lot of positive to take from that - even if we didn't manage to take the points at the end.

sj*

Fubar said:
sj* said:
l:

.. Miller and Romfo were a disgrace tonight... Not sure what were paying them for??

And before anyone says anything yes I am in Belfast so have perfect right to comment! And to think I risked my life on Ryanair to be here!!!!!!!!
funny that...terry phillips said romfo played really well :shock:
Well, I do respect Terrys opinions. But it is a unanimous thought among the group that went.

I wasn't at Belfast tonight, but based on all the other games i have seen this season a couple of imports are not performing at a satisfactory standard, i know in my head who they are but i will give them another few games before i let rip :oops:

Gazza272

Well at least we arent Sheffield who went down to yet another home defeat and at least we arent newcastle who lost to a Game winning goal from Andrew Sharp :lol:

I actually think 5-3 is a great result given those two incidents around the league this evening!

osh

Gazza272 said:
Well at least we arent Sheffield who went down to yet another home defeat and at least we arent newcastle who lost to a Game winning goal from Andrew Sharp :lol:

I actually think 5-3 is a great result given those two incidents around the league this evening![

/quote Anyone who thinks a 5 - 3 loss is a great result is missing something in my book !!

I know I am going to be slated, but why the hell did Voth fight Mcgoon?

The guy is there for one reason, Voth knew he had an existing wound on his face from a few weeks ago......and Mcmorrow isn't the softest of players. I understand fighting is part of the game etc etc but this is what Voth said:

"and also if you make those kinds of plays you have to be prepared to answer the call." So why did Voth fight him after 15 seconds.....pointless IMO.

Also Franny said in the programme from 13th Sep:

"I don't think i'd want any of our players to waste a fight on McMorrow as it would be a trade down in the penalty box, so we'll ignore his behaviour on the ice and I hope our guys will be disciplined enough not to fall for that"

Wow back to the drawing board Franny, we were disciplined for 15 seconds......

Missed any of the game tonight because i was working but we really need to start pulling out some more wins if we want to be fighting for top 3 this season. In a better situation than steelers though, damn those fans aint happy! :p

Well I couldnt tell you who played well or not due to the lag on the live feed, at one point all I could rely on was the commentary from tweedle dumb and dumber and I wouldnt have believed them if they told me what day of the week it was.

However in the point of Romfro and whether he played well or not, that all comes down to a matter of opinion just because a group of you thought he played badly doesnt mean other people can't have another viewpoint. You only have to be in my office on a Monday morning listening to the debate on football to know that!

Would the fact they havent been well this week and had a couple of days off had an effect, I know how I feel when I'm under the weather in my office job. God knows how they must feel with all that excertion

Finny

nmase20 said:
Missed any of the game tonight because i was working but we really need to start pulling out some more wins if we want to be fighting for top 3 this season.
I'm not sure we are though. Looking at the way the season is going, the key is going to be to win your home games and try and sneak a couple of away games every now and again. We've been knocked down to 5th in the league after tonight's loss, but we have played a lot less home games than most teams.

I can see the league being very tight this season between Nottingham, Coventry, Belfast and us. Newcastle are up there at the moment, but I can see them slipping down when they start playing more away games and start struggling for goals.

We've beaten Hull comfortably at home twice already, yet Nottingham needed overtime to beat them last night.

Nottingham and Coventry play each other tonight, so one of them is going to drop points. What we must do now is get back to winning ways ourselves tonight.

Wannabe2

Its still very early in the season, but what we dont want to do is to have to play catch up hockey for too long, we lost at home to a very good Panthers team, and Giants at theres are going to be difficult to beat. But we get our best crowds when we are on a winning streak, like most sports teams, and thats another big factor when playing at home, as it acts as another player on the ice. Our team are very talented, that goes without any shadow of a doubt, but we have to show that talent from the getgo to the final whistle, not always easy, but thats what we need. Lets hope we can now have a settled regular practice sessions, and that the players are throwing off there viruses, and that talent will eventually show through. Good luck tonight lads, its time to get the show back on the road.

Finny said:
I'm not sure we are though. Looking at the way the season is going, the key is going to be to win your home games and try and sneak a couple of away games every now and again.
Although I agree it is going to be tighter, past experience shows that you need a far better record than that if you are going to win the league especially as Nottingham have had such a good start and look like the team to beat.

From an outsiders POV, it looks like the Devils are failing to meet the potential of the team that was signed on paper. I had you guys down as favourites for the league and of course it may yet click, but you wonder how long Matt Burge is going to be happy to let it ride at 0.500 hockey before he looks to shake it up a bit.

Gazza272

J.B said:
Finny said:
I'm not sure we are though. Looking at the way the season is going, the key is going to be to win your home games and try and sneak a couple of away games every now and again.
Although I agree it is going to be tighter, past experience shows that you need a far better record than that if you are going to win the league especially as Nottingham have had such a good start and look like the team to beat.

From an outsiders POV, it looks like the Devils are failing to meet the potential of the team that was signed on paper. I had you guys down as favourites for the league and of course it may yet click, but you wonder how long Matt Burge is going to be happy to let it ride at 0.500 hockey before he looks to shake it up a bit.

Our squad on paper is no better than anyone elses though realistically, equally its not much weaker than anyone elses either.

Looking at our results, we lost in Newcastle, but then so did Nottingham, Coventry have lost to them also. We also beat them

Beaten Coventry

Beaten Sheffield 2 out of 3 times.

Beaten Hull twice, Lost once.

Lost to Nottingham but then again so have everyone else.

Lost ot Belfast, if we put that right tongiht it wont be to bad.

That to me doesnt look terrible. Certainly not head rolling results.

TheStub

J.B said:
Yes, they are failing to click. You see passages when they do, but then they go into this tail spin. But, lets remember that this is season 2 of 3...and season 1 of a much different looking league. Rather be where we are than Sheffield this season :D

As a unit they are looking good - but I think G, Shannon and Matt are already looking to make subtle changes. I can't see who you would drop, as there is no one player playing poorly. We just need our forwards to start finding the back of the net more :lol: Or maybe concede less. Last night was another 8 goal thriller :lol:

Finny

J.B said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DevilDom

Why are so many people obsessed with comparing how we are doing to Sheffield?

If Sheffield had lost every game and we had won 1 out of 8 would that make some people happy?

I must say I am a little dissapointed with how things have started this year after the hype and anticipation that built up over the summer I was expecting something a little better than this. I'm not saying we should be winning every game and losing away to Belfast is not disgrace, but 50% is at best mid-table which is where we were last season. I really think we need to start showing some consistency and turning some of these patchy performances into winning ones. Nottingham are already out of sight IMO.

DevilDom said:
Why are so many people obsessed with comparing how we are doing to Sheffield?
you should always compare how your doing to the champions :lol:

joking aside steelers have had enough and are making changes, Verner in (ok forced through injury) Wood in, seems a very capable 2 way d-man with AHL experience, and a foward to be signed on Monday. same as they done this time last year (without a goalie change). and well we seen what happened.