Brad Voth Retires

Koop11

This is sad day for all Devils fans. There are not many players you can honestly call legends but when you define franchise player, someone whose commitment to the club on and off the ice is recognisable both locally and around the UK hockey community then Brad Voth is just that.

Love of hate him, Brad Voth did a huge amount for this league. He was a crowd puller. He never backed down from the Elite League tough guys in all his years he’s been playing. His fight card speaks volumes. He has scored some massive goals for the club and you won’t see a bigger hitter that The Lord Mayor of Cardiff.

There comes a time when all legends have to hang their skates up. Some question whether Voth’s impact is what it once was. I believe he was playing some of his most effective hockey this season, albeit not his traditional style of play. It’s such a crying shame that his career has had to end this way. It’s never nice to see a professional sportsman have to retire because of injury and for Devils fans it’s heartbreaking that Vother has had to end his season/career short.

Anyone who has ever spoken to Brad will appreciate what a nice guy he is. He’s played the game tough and certainly bruised a few players over the years, which has divided opinions on the big man but my own personal experiences of Bra d have been very warming.

It has been a pleasure to have met you and watch you play Brad. You have been a great ambassador to the Devils and I hope your efforts are formally recognised by the club in the not too distant future. All the best for your future career and life with your wife. Go start a family, see the world and enjoy the new chapters of your life to come. You’ve earned it big man. You will be missed.

Gutted when I heard this news early this morning. Not the way I wanted to start my weekend. Many things have been said on this thread so I'm going to keep it short and sweet:

Thank you Brad!!!! Thank you!! Goodbye and Good Luck you will be missed by all xx

p.s even campbell will miss you... ;)

Awesome post by Koop says it all

I said to family that theytreasure the next time you see vother play as I doubt whether there will be another like him

Unfortunately not to be but he they have so amny memories thanks to the bis guy

to stick with the devils after all he was put through by owners and rink etc, and turn down big money offers from other teams shows what a devil is all about and why we should retire his shirt asap

Retire Voth's jersey with him

I'm not a fan of teams retiring jerseys here, there and everywhere but i think this is the right time to do it. Voth has been a true 'franchise player' for the Devils for 7 years, during which he has given everything for the club, worn the C with pride and done more for British hockey's profile than any other. If anyone deserves to have their jersey number hanging from the rafters then its Brad. It's the least the organisation can do for him especially considering the loyalty he has shown when turning down higher paid contracts to stay in Cardiff. A fitting tribute for a genuine Power Forward; hits, fights, goals and assists, this really needs to happen. Can we get a petition going or something??

sataneight said:
Awesome post by Koop says it all

I said to family that theytreasure the next time you see vother play as I doubt whether there will be another like him

Unfortunately not to be but he they have so amny memories thanks to the bis guy

to stick with the devils after all he was put through by owners and rink etc, and turn down big money offers from other teams shows what a devil is all about and why we should retire his shirt asap
I agree with all what you have said, his shirt should be retired, now.

Can someone remind me of what the Devils won during Voths great seven years?

If he was a great franchise player like Lawless, Moria, McEwen and Hope then I am sorry I didn't see him play. I can't recall him filling the rink week after week like those players did

Retire more numbers and the Devils will have to emulate Leicester RFC.

OJ

Re: Re: Brad Voth Retires

Nott Simpson said:

If he was a great franchise player like Lawless, Moria, McEwen and Hope then I am sorry I didn't see him play. I can't recall him filling the rink week after week like those players did

OJ
Did those players win trophies single handed then? That's a damn good effort!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Earnie

It is so sad that Brad leaves us in this manner. Sad for him and sad for us.
I join the many that will miss him hugely.

I find it hard to believe that the Management did not know about this before the deadline passed but conveniently kept quiet about it?

Gazza272

Nott Simpson said:

OJ
Challenge cup and Knockout cup.

I think its a very unfair comparrison of talking about filling the rink. there are of course many many reasons why that couldnt happen, I would hazard a guess that the rink would have been more empty had it not been for Voth.

osh

Well, much has already been said about Brad having to retire and would agree with most of what has been said. Won't be at the game tonight but I am sure the BBT will see him off in style. Thanks for you contribution Vother. Best wishes for the future.

Nott Simpson said:

OJ
A challenge cup and a British knockout cup, not much I know but he has usually finished in the top half of the table, got to several challenge cup finals, got to every play off weekend and a few finals. All this whilst having nowhere to play home fixtures for a while, several instances of not getting paid, playing out of a manky blue tent for a few years, playing through some big injuries not to mention some of the erratic refereeing/disciplinary procedures he has had to endure.
What makes Brad stand out for a shirt retirement though is unlike Lawless, Moria, McEwen and Hope (all legends I know) he has managed his achievements as part of a team who were unable to buy trophies. We are no longer the masters of chequebook hockey.
You love to put a negative on all things Devils apart from "the good old days" but as you say you have never seen the man play, I am curious as to just how much your opinion counts. As far as I am concerned it doesn't so I would be grateful if you could just go pee on someone elses bonfire and let the big man get the plaudits he deserves.

Paul Sullivan

Gingers Husband said:
Nott Simpson said:

OJ
A challenge cup and a British knockout cup, not much I know but he has usually finished in the top half of the table, got to several challenge cup finals, got to every play off weekend and a few finals. All this whilst having nowhere to play home fixtures for a while, several instances of not getting paid, playing out of a manky blue tent for a few years, playing through some big injuries not to mention some of the erratic refereeing/disciplinary procedures he has had to endure.
What makes Brad stand out for a shirt retirement though is unlike Lawless, Moria, McEwen and Hope (all legends I know) he has managed his achievements as part of a team who were unable to buy trophies. We are no longer the masters of chequebook hockey.
You love to put a negative on all things Devils apart from "the good old days" but as you say you have never seen the man play, I am curious as to just how much your opinion counts. As far as I am concerned it doesn't so I would be grateful if you could just go pee on someone elses bonfire and let the big man get the plaudits he deserves.
Not how I would have put it :D but agree with the points GH makes.

OJ I would really, REALLY put that shovel down :DWD

It is ridiculous to compare the financial status and buying power of the team that Brad carried the franchise for to the one of the Heineken era.

I am as big a fan of the 'big four' as anyone, but in terms of impact, ability in his role, contribution, commitment and just plain charisma Brad is definitely dining at their table. In terms of value to the Club commercially only Lawless tops him for my money.

Nott Simpson said:
Thats told me were to go hasn't.

Maybe I should take your advice and p Off.
In all fairness this isn't a thread for negativity toward the man.
A lot of people are hurting with this news and comments
of a negative perception are not going to be greatly received.

Finny

Very sad news that Voth's career has ended in this way. He was playing some fantastic hockey earlier in the season, having changed his game to cut out the stupid penalties and, to be fair to him, the undeserved penalties.

He is without doubt the most recognised and 'famous' player in the EIHL era. Not just for Cardiff but for the whole of the league. Every other team tried to sign someone like him, but it was impossible as there was only one Brad Voth.

His loyalty with us has been fantastic, especially considering the traumatic couple of seasons they were during. Brad didn't deserve to be on a team that played in a tent and had ownership issues pretty much every summer. He should have been playing for us in a state of the art arena winning league and playoff titles.

Does his loyalty deserved to be recognised in some way? Yes. Undeniably so.
Does his number deserved to be retired? At the moment I'm unsure.

This question comes around everytime someone popular retires and for me it's usually a quick answer of "No".
But Brad's situation is different. If it was purely for his on-ice efforts - then it would probably be a No for me.
But Brad brought so much more to the club during his time here. He was the face of the Devils for so many years and I bet if you asked a Cardiff resident to name a Devils player - then Brad's would be that name.

Is that enough to deserve a shirt retirement? I'm 50/50 and can see both sides of the argument.

There is no need to rush into a decision either way though. I'd rather we waited until the end of the season before making a decision.

Perhaps there is an alternative way to recognise him. Name something after him in the new arena? Introduce the "Brad Voth Award" for the most entertaining player of the season?

I don't know. But I'm sure someone on here or amongst the fanbase is clever enough to think of a suitable recognition for him.

rocketbob

I too would like to see Brad recognized for his amazing contribution to the Devils. If it is decided that a number retirement is not the way to do that (although I think he deserves his number to be retired) then I like the idea of a Devils Hall of Fame or possibly a Ring of Honour in the new stadium as many teams in North America have.

Finny's post pretty much sums up my feelings on this. Also, I feel Jason Stone deserves a shirt retirement as much, if not more, than Voth. Whilst he didn't have the 'impact' of Brad, his 1000+ games is something this club will probably never see again.

But, if both numbers got hung that would be seven in 25 years of our club. The fact we're looking at such a high number shows how lucky we've been with the players that have iced in Cardiff, but because of that I think a Hall of Fame may be more suitable and allow us to recognise other past greats like Matulik.

Jones72

bluedevil said:
...recognise other past greats like Matulik.
I was thinking along the same lines.

There are as lot of players that deserve recognition for their commitment to the club. Retiring numbers shouldn't be the only way to do that.

How about a permanent sponsorship for the Vother? "The Brad Voth Penalty Box"? Or maybe Hicksy's jersey (being as he had so much love for Vother)?

And before anyone takes exception...that was about as tongue-in-cheek as it gets.

Anyway...back on topic....tip o' the hat to you, big man. Thanks for entertaining us in the way you have...game night or otherwise...and good luck with the future.