Brad Voth Retires

Chris

Administrator
Agreed, nice post Finny! One point that you did make...
Perhaps there is an alternative way to recognise him. Name something after him in the new arena? Introduce the "Brad Voth Award" for the most entertaining player of the season?
Someone mentioned a couple of pages back about (trying to) naming the bar in the new arena... Bar Voth :E

I don't know how the naming process would come about, either by the club asking the developers nicely, or if the club go for the tender to run the new rink(s)?

*edit* Beaten to it by nmase! *edit*

:lol: sorry chris! The naming process would be the only issue as you say, i'm sure PR could pull a few strings though!
Would be a nice memorial to THE franchise player of the EIHL era, hopefully he could come over and open the bar.

Gaz G

Just been looking at a few things and worked out that Vother had 94 fights for the Devils. Another solid effort by the big man.

joffa

I remember meeting Brad for the first time when he came to play for us at the WNIR, I sponsored him, he spent most of his time that first game with us in Gretzkys, what a gent, polite, humble and all round good guy. Over the years we watched him take on the goons, hit like a train, score for fun and become the EIHL top attraction, but not once did he leave the club when tempted by many others. He took some unfair bans and some justified equally the same and always supported the team and gave his time to the fans. Sad to see it end this way buddy, you will do well whatever you choose as your new career. All the very best mate!

Thank you Brad

Well what an emotional night tonight was. I'm not ashamed to say I had a lump in my throat on more than one occasion and thanks to Sully I can't get "nobody does it better" out of my head.

I know it may sound dramatic but it almost feels as though somebody has died. If anyone doubted whether or not the number 26 should be hung in the rafters I think tonight has shown that that is undoubtedly the right thing to do.

Personally, I would have loved to have seen Brent interview Brad who many would have liked to hear a few words from but I assume Brad may have felt too choked to say anything. I totally understand that.

The man has been Mr Cardiff Devils for several years now and he will be sorely missed. For everything you did for the club Brad, thank you. The Big Blue Tent won't be the same without you.

Max

Re: Thank you Brad

Max Beerbarrell said:
Well what an emotional night tonight was. I'm not ashamed to say I had a lump in my throat on more than one occasion and thanks to Sully I can't get "nobody does it better" out of my head.

I know it may sound dramatic but it almost feels as though somebody has died. If anyone doubted whether or not the number 26 should be hung in the rafters I think tonight has shown that that is undoubtedly the right thing to do.

Personally, I would have loved to have seen Brent interview Brad who many would have liked to hear a few words from but I assume Brad may have felt too choked to say anything. I totally understand that.

The man has been Mr Cardiff Devils for several years now and he will be sorely missed. For everything you did for the club Brad, thank you. The Big Blue Tent won't be the same without you.

Max
I agree Max, i had to hide behind the pillar to cover up my emotions, gutted about Brad going me the wife and kids had a photo at the end of the game and no matter what other teams fans say about him he is a top bloke and am proud he played for the Cardiff Devils in the EIHL and no one else.

It was nice seeing some of the Clan fans joining in on the 'shoes off...' chant and also asking him to sign their shirts etc.

He's going to be missed.
Well done Paul to get the video up to show us all.

Is it up on YouTube yet?

Wannabe2

Apparently Brad was too choked to say the things he so obviously wanted to say, big tough guy yes, bid softy at heart huge yes. When Brad came onto the ice prior to the game i looked at Gerad he had tears in his eyes, these guys are tough cookies but real human beings. Hopefully we will see our local hero again that has to happen at some stage. Mr Cardiff Devil can be described in two words Brad Voth. See you again soon Big Man.

voth26

Nott Simpson said:
Can someone remind me of what the Devils won during Voths great seven years?

If he was a great franchise player like Lawless, Moria, McEwen and Hope then I am sorry I didn't see him play. I can't recall him filling the rink week after week like those players did

Retire more numbers and the Devils will have to emulate Leicester RFC.

OJ
I think your posts a bit harsh OJ if i,m honest. with regards to the players you mention they were great players but having said that when they played the game was a lot different to todays game and we were a "cheque book" club so we in my mere opinion somewhat bought the success we had in the early years, with regards to filling the rink week in week out that happened because of the success the team HAD, not just due to mo, hope, lawless and dougie. As you seem to indicate you didnt see brad play a whole lot so you may not have the full picture to what he brought to the devils?, the point of voths seven yrs with the devils for a lot of people is his loyalty to a club which in a sport like hockey doesnt happen a great deal, we are all aware as brad would have been that he could have earned a lot more money with other teams such as belfast/steelers for example but he choose to stay and play in a blue tent because he loved everything about cardiff.

helloimclaire said:
Well done Paul to get the video up to show us all.

Is it up on YouTube yet?
More to the point, has it been sent to the relevant people so's it can be included on the Elite League highlights show?

With such time and budgetary constraints I think it was a good send off. Well done to all!

Paul Sullivan

Sadly the EIHL show are not able to air any commercial music in their broadcast. They were willing to show our intro when it was created last season but couldn't for the same reason.

We are discussing ways to make the Voth video available but youtube etc are not options. They reject it on copyright grounds (it has been attempted), which is fair enough if a little disappointing.

Impressive ovation at the start of the game. There were a few of us in and around the booth, including the man himself, desperately trying not to make eye contact with anyone at all. Very emotional stuff.

The poignant site of a warrior, reluctant, humble, waving and taking his applause at the end of the match is one I will never forget.

Paul Sullivan said:
Sadly the EIHL show are not able to air any commercial music in their broadcast. They were willing to show our intro when it was created last season but couldn't for the same reason.

We are discussing ways to make the Voth video available but youtube etc are not options. They reject it on copyright grounds (it has been attempted), which is fair enough if a little disappointing.

Impressive ovation at the start of the game. There were a few of us in and around the booth, including the man himself, desperately trying not to make eye contact with anyone at all. Very emotional stuff.

The poignant site of a warrior, reluctant, humble, waving and taking his applause at the end of the match is one I will never forget.
Are game dvd's still sold by the club ? if not maybe a one off special including the video ? I don't get to games anymore would love to see it

Paul Sullivan

The online Highlights and now in-game ones mean that the DVD demand dropped right off. A DVD is an option but it's more likely we will snip the bits of Vother out and put them with a selection of the content produced for Devils TV this year - Born free, etc.

There's more Voth video I would like to do (and may have drunkenly promised him last night :oops: ;) ) and that could go in there too perhaps. Stay tuned.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words about the video, it's much appreciated.