Brad Voth Retires

Well deserved in my opinion, congratulations voth!
Would be good to get him back for the last game of the season and raise it to the rafters.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Whilst Brad has served the club for five season, I find shirt retirement a bit of a knee jerk!

For a start what about Jason Stone #10 and Franny’s #29? Players who played their whole career in Cardiff baring one season?

As a club that’s in its 25 year we have 7 retired numbers now, how many dose a club like Fife or Nottingham have?

I understand why both Dickinson and Lawson are both retired. However I have to ask the question now are we a Club that just wants to retire jerseys?

However I have to ask the question now are we a Club that just wants to retire jerseys?
:roll: FHS (for heavens sake)
Can we not just embrace the decision and not moan like an old woman?
How people can find negatives in this is unreal !

I also think its great news Brad's jersey has been retired! Alog with many other fans I'm sure it would have broke my heart to see someone else play in #26 shirt! :(
Very, very well desered for the big man, You only have to read all of the comments on this thread to see what the mighty Mayor meant to the Devils and that he's a worthy man! Utter Legend!

Also has everyone seen the Thank You Brad page on the new website?
I got a tad (ok very) emotional reading G's contribution and the rest, poor man must have been in pieces writing that :(

I think this is great. No-one else has endeared themselves to the fanbase so deeply as #26 and as PR said; it was we better to leave it and discuss it properly so it doesn't appear like an ill-considered reflex action.

Plus, it seems to have been forgotten but this is the clubs quater centenary too. Little events like this make it extra memorable. Maybe hold off hoisting the banner until next season though. That'll be the 26th!

WelshHabsFan said:
I think this is great. No-one else has endeared themselves to the fanbase so deeply as #26 and as PR said; it was we better to leave it and discuss it properly so it doesn't appear like an ill-considered reflex action.

Plus, it seems to have been forgotten but this is the clubs quater centenary too. Little events like this make it extra memorable. Maybe hold off hoisting the banner until next season though. That'll be the 26th!
I like this idea very much!! :D
Well deserved Brad! #26

I don't really get why it matters there are 7 retired in 25 years. There's still 92 numbers left! If its felt justified why should it matter how many there are that have already been retired?
As has been

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Koop11

We have been blessed with some hockey greats who have the jerseys hung from the rafters for their commitment to the club at a time when money and success was easy to come by. I am thrilled that someone as loyal and committed as Brad will join these great legends of the club, especially during an era when money and success was scarce

Brad is part of the generation of the Devils that played out of a blue tent (although he did have a season in the old WNIR). I see his time and commitment as a reflection of the fight that us fans, the players and management have undergone in the last 8 years. Brad rejected big money offers, the promise of success at big spending clubs and put up with a list of ropey owners and summer after summer of off ice politics to give his all season after season for this club. He was recognisable both locally and across the UK hockey community and is truly worthy of the honour.

Well done to the Devils management for marking the big man’s time and effort to this club. I hope they wait for his return to lift his banner.

Sheincar

getmeabeer said:
Whilst Brad has served the club for five season, I find shirt retirement a bit of a knee jerk!

For a start what about Jason Stone #10 and Franny’s #29? Players who played their whole career in Cardiff baring one season?

As a club that’s in its 25 year we have 7 retired numbers now, how many dose a club like Fife or Nottingham have?

I understand why both Dickinson and Lawson are both retired. However I have to ask the question now are we a Club that just wants to retire jerseys?
Who are Dickinson & Lawson?

Baring one season? That would mean no shirt to retire :lol:

getmeabeer said:

I think you will find its 7yrs
Stoney is still playing in #10
Surely with all your knowledge on our 25yrs you would know its 'Dickson and Lawless'!
Just saying! Lol

Koop11 said:
We have been blessed with some hockey greats who have the jerseys hung from the rafters for their commitment to the club at a time when money and success was easy to come by. I am thrilled that someone as loyal and committed as Brad will join these great legends of the club, especially during an era when money and success was scarce

Brad is part of the generation of the Devils that played out of a blue tent (although he did have a season in the old WNIR). I see his time and commitment as a reflection of the fight that us fans, the players and management have undergone in the last 8 years. Brad rejected big money offers, the promise of success at big spending clubs and put up with a list of ropey owners and summer after summer of off ice politics to give his all season after season for this club. He was recognisable both locally and across the UK hockey community and is truly worthy of the honour.

Well done to the Devils management for marking the big man’s time and effort to this club. I hope they wait for his return to lift his banner.
My thoughts exactly :)

getmeabeer said:

And in that one line, you wreck any hope of your points being taken seriously...

TheStub

Imagine said:
getmeabeer said:

And in that one line, you wreck any hope of your points being taken seriously...
Quite how an obvious typo/auto-correct/momentary lapse in memory reduces the validity of point made by others baffles me.

Do we now vet a post for spelling and grammar, and if found to be less than perfect totally disregard the person's opinion?

Others are allowed their opinion, and they are allowed opinions contrary to yours. Argue your corner, make your point - but to belittle someone with no counter argument is the recourse of the dogmatic.

Personally, I think the argument to retire Voth's number can be made. An argument based upon club identity and what he brought to the team dynamic. Although he was far from our best player in the last few seasons, he was the identity of the club. The length of service argument shouldn't really factor, or we are retiring Franny, Stone and G very soon.

Retiring a number is the biggest honour a sporting club can bestow. Doing it too quickly, or based on an up swell in public opinion is dangerous. Too many retired numbers dilutes the honour.

I am luke warm at the idea of retiring Voth's number so soon - feels a little rushed. In the same way, retiring Stone's number is something that needs a little space from his playing career.

But, if we are hosting Voth's jersey to the rafters we may as well do Stone. It is arguable that Stone has brought more to this club than Voth, and should be similarly honour.