Breaking News: Devils sign new player

ASHIPP

The insane decision to cut roster sizes this year has probably resulted in many players around the league playing on through injury. How difficult that must be for a professional sportsman with the danger that any injury will just be aggravated with every game they play. Hopefully Brodie will now get the rest and time he needs to concentrate on his physical health. In the meantime, his experience will be valuable on the bench in his Assistant Coach role.

Welcome to Cardiff Jake. Hopefully joining the Team as they try to find consistency and stability.

Pembo

Looks like #86 according to elite prospects, anyone seen any confirmation of his number? Coughler is a great and topical surname for this COVID hit season. Really hope we get let back in soon and can cheer him and the boys on in person.

TL91

Does make you think how wild this forum is sometimes mind…slating DuPont for not being the first line centre we all thought he would be and now everyone is saying what a top bloke he is for playing with a potentially season ending injury…just shows how little we know about things and how quick people are to judge don’t you think?

ASHIPP

Does make you think how wild this forum is sometimes mind…slating DuPont for not being the first line centre we all thought he would be and now everyone is saying what a top bloke he is for playing with a potentially season ending injury…just shows how little we know about things and how quick people are to judge don’t you think?

To be fair, many people didn't know the player had a serious, long term injury affecting his future. You can only comment on what you see or already know.

And some people, including me, never criticised or called out that particular player in the first place.

And a handful of comments on this latest development hardly counts for 'everyone' of the Devils' fanbase

Mazzoak

Yup

osh

disagree with your comments. whilst I never mentioned any names of under performing players, DuPont certainly fitted that description from day one ! Let’s not forget he was recruited as a 1st line centre and never ever looked capable of being our main scorer on a first line. I appreciate he may have been carrying an injury recently, but not from the start of the season and that is why he was constantly named as a failure. As for playing with a season ending injury ? A good pr job by the club I think after they finally did the right thing and brought in a new player.

TL91

disagree with your comments. whilst I never mentioned any names of under performing players, DuPont certainly fitted that description from day one ! Let’s not forget he was recruited as a 1st line centre and never ever looked capable of being our main scorer on a first line. I appreciate he may have been carrying an injury recently, but not from the start of the season and that is why he was constantly named as a failure. As for playing with a season ending injury ? A good pr job by the club I think after they finally did the right thing and brought in a new player.
I very much doubt a PR job…that’s a very expensive PR decision to make if it was in having him round for the rest of the season, especially in the tough times we’re in now.

TL91

To be fair, many people didn't know the player had a serious, long term injury affecting his future. You can only comment on what you see or already know.

And some people, including me, never criticised or called out that particular player in the first place.

And a handful of comments on this latest development hardly counts for 'everyone' of the Devils' fanbase
Completely agree you can only comment on what you see, but the turnaround in opinion is quite staggering at the same time! ‘everyone’ was figurative but in recent times there’s been strong opinions surrounding him and his capabilities

Hedd Wyn John

Thread starter #56
To be fair you can call someone a top bloke but also point out that their performance overall has been below expectations. The Devils outfit billed Dupont as a first line Joey Martin replacement which was a very high bar to set. Unfortunately for whatever reason Dupont hasn't come close to a Martin level of performance. I commend the guy for playing with an injury as not to let the team down maybe the Devils outfit set unrealistic expectations for Dupont. I believe he was signed as a 1st line goal scorer, that's the impression they've given. In that respect while I think Dupont has improved of late few people will argue that he's performed like a first line goal scorer & further to that if we are looking for a Martin replacement to sign next season I don't think Dupont will be high on the list to do that. I wish him all the best, to get over his injury and to be back playing again but if he were to return to the Devils it would have to be in a different role IMO.

Rempel16

Out of curiosity, how do we know he wasn’t injured right from the start?

I’ve played football with a suspected hernia, pain killers allowed me to play for most of the season but I was at 75% tops.

DuPont could have been injured in the first week for all we know- and he’s missed game time this year already.

moggy#9

I’ve played football with a suspected hernia, pain killers allowed me to play for most of the season but I was at 75% tops.

DuPont could have been injured in the first week for all we know- and he’s missed game time this year already.
If that were the case would he not have been rested for some of the early meaningless cup games?

E.D.S.

Playing injured is daft. Admittedly we don't know how injured he was but if it was "season ending" then it clearly was a considerable injury. He doesn't get any bravery points for me for playing on. If he can't do the job he was brought in to do then he shouldn't be playing. It sends a poor message to the team when an injured player playing to 50% of his ability is better than a fully fit player chomping at the bit.

I don't think anyone would feel remorse for anything they've said about him. Those that went over the top about his and other players performances clearly don't have that emotional intelligence to show remorse/regret or to recognise how their behaviour could impact someone and those that commented sensibly and constructively will have nothing to be sorry about.

I'm sorry his season has ended early. I'll be even more sorry if this proves to be career ending. He's dedicated his life to this sport and may now face a massive change in his life. Not an easy thing to deal with so all I can do is wish him well but as for regrets about anything that has been said about his performances, it's a definite no from me.

Wannabe2

In fairness if he was injured from the start as a professional should he not have told the club, and if the club had known surely they would not have played him, or even signed him. This is a professional sport, yes we all know some players play through injury, not always the best option for player or club. Also in fairness playing amateur football if that’s what you play, carrying on you ain’t cheating paying fans to see you, and it’s not the most physical sport on the planet. I don’t know the ins and outs of the DuPont situation, and know it’s history or it seems that may be outcome, we wish him well and to get fit soon, in the meantime the new guy looks like he could be a real asset.