Brent Pope seeks new Head Coach

Wannabe2

So loyalty to the club is only a fans thing then, funny that,so if all the fans decide to not turn up for 5-6 weeks that's fine and they are still loyal fans.

I was under the understanding that we should all be pulling together through these dark times, looks like I was way off the mark.

Come on this is getting worse by the minute, loyalty to the club should surely be the top priority and then it should filter down, surely that's how its supposed to work.

This ain't coming across very professionally, the BBC have commentators by the bucket load believe me, this is getting over the top now can it possibly get any worse.

Fans deserve much better than this, especially Devils fans they have been through enough. Sorry to be so negative.

ASHIPP

After some thought about this I think that if a new head coach is the direction they are taking I want to see a coach who has no previous ties to the Club, personnel or players whatsoever. Someone with no agenda other than being focused on winning and also developing young players. Someone who is strong enough to weather club politics ....hopefully he will be allowed to get on with his job.

Would even welcome a younger coach who wants the challenge of a rebuild and making his mark in this league.

Am glad the Club are already dealing with this.

James

Administrator
Compared to a lot of the random, contradictory press coming from the Devils recently I thought it was a pretty good piece.
Can anyone really see G being put back in place for the duration of Popes leave? Surely that would just make the whole situation descend further into farce.

DevilDom

Sorry but this just continues the mess and lack of stability at the club for me.

The release makes it clear that Mac has no particular desire to take the player coach role so forcing him to do it so Pope can swan off and feed his ego a little more just means more upheaval and gives us even less chance of making the play offs.

ASHIPP

Persuade Steve Moria out of retirement temporarily to work with th team before BP's departure and he could take over for a few weeks.

Finny

If we are to go for someone completely new, I'd want to see them in before the end of the season. That would give them a couple of weeks to:

-see what players they currently have within the current squad
-understand the league and it's demands if they are new to it.

Otherwise if we do get someone new in then it will take them a couple of months to get used to everything and we'll have another wasted season.

steve said:
Its hardly 5-6 weeks though is it wannabe!?! :roll:
I would guess it's at least that. A lot of prep to get done before the tournament.

Interesting sentence in that story about Cuddihy turning the role down. Why was he announced in the original PR then? :DWD

DevilDom

Finny said:
If we are to go for someone completely new, I'd want to see them in before the end of the season. That would give them a couple of weeks to:

Otherwise if we do get someone new in then it will take them a couple of months to get used to everything and we'll have another wasted season.
Totally agree with you on this, however that would need a level of foresight and planning that seems totally beyond the current management. They can't even plan more than 1 week ahead at the moment!

Finny said:

being optimistic here but wouldnt someone coming in with two weeks left limit our chance in the playoffs? id rather someone was in before the olympics as we arent winning the league but it would give a new coach the chance to see the squad before the cc games. budget permitting ;)

Finny

If they came in two weeks before the end of the season then I would expect them to take more of an overseeing role for the rest of the season.
If they could come in ready for when Pope goes to the Olympics then even better.

discountedawaytravel said:
Finny said:

being optimistic here but wouldnt someone coming in with two weeks left limit our chance in the playoffs? id rather someone was in before the olympics as we arent winning the league but it would give a new coach the chance to see the squad before the cc games. budget permitting ;)
Such an obvious thing to do.

Skippy

Sheincar said:
And such an ancient photo featuring Osaer & Stone on the team!!!!
Surely that's just "nostalgic" it'd be hard to get one of this seasons team at the play offs made.

With the play offs not having happened as yet and all.

I'd also suspect the club have zero control over the pics Wales online use.

James

Administrator
I have a mate who works there that fortunately was able to go into their system and change the tag on the Stuart Macrae pic from 'Gerad Adams' or they'd still be using that one too. There will be an asset with 'Brent Pope' in their database they assign to the article. Plenty of own goals been scored by the club recently without going looking for them :D

Wagstaff

I've only ever seen him when you play at the skydome, seems a strange place to coach a team, from behind a desk? you would think he would at least face the ice!

"I have talked to Mac about a player-coach role and he is not seeking that, but just because somebody doesn’t want the title doesn’t mean he can’t do the job."

I really don't understand that sentence.. is he saying even if mac doesn't want to do it doesn't mean we can't make him do it?