Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2016/17

Electro

Well yeah it's important to keep your clubs fans on your side.

How many non British ex Devils currently live in the area full time. I'm not critical of any, I'm just a cynic when it comes to people in the public eye and their comments.

terry hunt

I dont like to admit it but i agree with Electro on this.

Lots of players tell fans they love their teams then jump ship if a better offer comes along.

I took a look at TK's record and he appears to sign his team late in the summer and yes many of

his players stay with him.

My biggest concern is the signing of new British players as it looks like the cream of GB is already

tied up.

It seems to me that we possibly will have the same Brit core returning,i share the same feelings that even tho cj and lp give there all for the us which is what you want,their skill level just isn't there and with most teams adopting the 4 line game this coming season that we won't have the depth!Not sure if he has resigned with panthers,but would love to see Myers back at the club,Could we also look at trying to sign Danny Meyers who was at Guildford last season,even tho he's 33,could be a good addition considering he has vast experience at Elite league level?
Which Brit forwards are still not signed who have a good skill set and have played in the league before?

mazza03

Electro said:

How many non British ex Devils currently live in the area full time. I'm not critical of any, I'm just a cynic when it comes to people in the public eye and their comments.
The Kenton brothers for two, Maxi for another, Mo is another, Shiney lived here for years.

Wannabe2

mazza03 said:
Electro said:

The Kenton brothers for two, Maxi for another, Mo is another, Shiney lived here for years.
Merv Priest another

Sheincar

terry hunt said:

Lots of players tell fans they love their teams then jump ship if a better offer comes along.

I took a look at TK's record and he appears to sign his team late in the summer and yes many of

My biggest concern is the signing of new British players as it looks like the cream of GB is already

tied up.
Not sure who you regard as cream of GB but it seems to me that Brits have resigned with their previous teams other than David Phillips & if he's the cream GB hockey is in a really dire state!

bdevil

Sheincar said:
terry hunt said:

tied up.
Not sure who you regard as cream of GB but it seems to me that Brits have resigned with their previous teams other than David Phillips & if he's the cream GB hockey is in a really dire state!
I think that's what is meant.. Be it with their previous team or a new team the cream of GB has already signed with someone and is therefore not available for us to sign.

terry hunt

I am a bit puzzled on here about the negative reaction to mentions of GB players.

I accept everyone is entitled to their opinions but the EIHL has a firm commitment to developing

British players as most countries do.

If they dont play they dont get better and not all hockey players are great.

The "star" import players we sign are also not the "cream" of their own countries.

Someone has to perservere with young British players and give them icetime.

Cardiff under Lawless developed local talent that made the grade are our current coaches not

competent?

Foxy

Then you have the likes of sheffield, Belfast and Nottingham who wont develop their own player but wait for the likes of Cardiff to give the ice time to the Brits and then try and cherry pick. That is my biggest bug bear :(

Electro

It can only really work if all teams agree a mutual framework that benefits UK hockey as a whole. That in time should produce enough players to satisfy demand and do away with cherry picking.

In an ideal world this would have been agreed and implemented years ago. Until teams stop looking after their short term demands and invest in the long term hockey in the UK will always be a minority sport for a few curious beginners.

The whole structure needs replacing.

Wannabe2

Electro said:
It can only really work if all teams agree a mutual framework that benefits UK hockey as a whole. That in time should produce enough players to satisfy demand and do away with cherry picking.

In an ideal world this would have been agreed and implemented years ago. Until teams stop looking after their short term demands and invest in the long term hockey in the UK will always be a minority sport for a few curious beginners.

The whole structure needs replacing.
And your just the boy to sort it.

Earnie

Foxy said:
Then you have the likes of sheffield, Belfast and Nottingham who wont develop their own player but wait for the likes of Cardiff to give the ice time to the Brits and then try and cherry pick. That is my biggest bug bear :(

Sheffield have taken on two 'apprentices' on I think a three year deal so we are not in a position to criticise them. There is nothing much in the Cardiff pipeline but never mind, Electro will sort it.

ASHIPP

Earnie said:
Foxy said:

Sheffield have taken on two 'apprentices' on I think a three year deal so we are not in a position to criticise them. There is nothing much in the Cardiff pipeline but never mind, Electro will sort it.
And in fairness to Panthers, they have taken on young players to further develop in the past from affiliated teams in addition to their experienced British players - Boxhill (now at Giants), Norton, Oakford, Betteridge.

What are the Devils doing?

Electro

Well the IAW are running skating schools for ice dancing. You never know, maybe a few will want to give hockey a go.

It would help if the IAW ran a hockey camp, there you go, sorted...........

ASHIPP

Electro said:
Well the IAW are running skating schools for ice dancing. You never know, maybe a few will want to give hockey a go.

It would help if the IAW ran a hockey camp, there you go, sorted...........

In the days of the BBT, hockey camps were run for local players, goalie camps and during the season, players on the Elite team used to participate in the Learn to Play programme for junior players and junior Devils' teams. Any of that still go on?

wildthing74

I think if you asked most fans who would you want as your first 2 confirmed re-signings it would have been Martin & Bowns. On top of the guys on 2 year deals that's a great statement of intent getting those guys signed up early and you would assume the other important pieces like Richie & Batchy are prioritised as well.No doubt both could have gone to many other teams in different leagues and earned more money but it just goes to show how treating people well goes a long way.

wildthing74 said:
I think if you asked most fans who would you want as your first 2 confirmed re-signings it would have been Martin & Bowns. On top of the guys on 2 year deals that's a great statement of intent getting those guys signed up early and you would assume the other important pieces like Richie & Batchy are prioritised as well.No doubt both could have gone to many other teams in different leagues and earned more money but it just goes to show how treating people well goes a long way.
+1 great news :Banana :Banana