Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2023/24

Going back to Big Lou I find it strange that none of the owners thanked him publicly after everything he did for the Devils. Brodie Reid and Kozun had a bit of love but nothing in regards to Lou. Also if I remember rightly Lou gave a big thank you speech when he left us for Slovakia during covid. This time when it’s a more concrete good bye he just posted a pic with all his medals. Hopefully I’m reading too much into things but it would be a crying shame if things ended on a sour note. Hands down one of my favourite Devils of all time.

ASHIPP

Going back to Big Lou I find it strange that none of the owners thanked him publicly after everything he did for the Devils. Brodie Reid and Kozun had a bit of love but nothing in regards to Lou. Also if I remember rightly Lou gave a big thank you speech when he left us for Slovakia during covid. This time when it’s a more concrete good bye he just posted a pic with all his medals. Hopefully I’m reading too much into things but it would be a crying shame if things ended on a sour note. Hands down one of my favourite Devils of all time.
I wouldn't read too much into no messages directly from the Owners. Todd said some lovely things about Big Lou on the website. That tells you the affection and appreciation from the Club. TK would be talking on behalf of himself and the Ownership group.

I like the look of Rymsha from that highlight clip, very smooth skater with a big shot from the point. Get him on the powerplay and recruit a big body to get infront of net and we could fix one massive problem from last year.

Swarley

You're reading too much into it, I've spoken with Lou he loves the club, loves the fans and in his own words.

"the Devils will always be my colors"

The owners not saying anything is probably because they know Lou isn't the sort to want that amount of attention, Lordo said it best he's the silent assassin and doesn't look for the attention.

Last edited:

Finny

When I saw the headline “better the devil you know” I panicked.

To see it was Thompson was a relief. Even a bit delighted

Will be interesting to see how he does at Blaze as his resume before joining us was pretty impressive.

Devils86

He'll be a good pick up for Blaze and will do a decent job supporting their top line offensive D. And I'm sure he's a lovely bloke.

Would be classless to celebrate his departure but he was on my list of guys who didn't deserve to come back, IMO. I am happy that River is an upgrade.

SteveKing

A comment on Lou. One of mine and all four of our favourite people and players in our whole time as owners. We got to know his Mom fairly well on trips and his Uncle Jon was a regular at most Devils viewing gatherings here in Calgary. Both Brian and I have been out of the country for extended periods and I know for myself, I actually didn’t know that anything had gone out about his departure. All four of us reached out directly to Mark to express our gratitude and to make sure he stays in touch. A Devils legend.

moggy#9

When I saw the headline “better the devil you know” I panicked.

To see it was Thompson was a relief. Even a bit delighted

Will be interesting to see how he does at Blaze as his resume before joining us was pretty impressive.
I must admit that when I saw that it was just a reference to kozun. I certainly felt Thompson was a disappointment, but plenty of blame to go around on last term's defensive efforts.

[
Louis has been a great servant for us and the toughest player in the league for some time.

But my all time favourite Louis moment was not for his toughness but hi
Louis has been a great servant for us and the toughest player in the league for some time.

But my all time favourite Louis moment was not for his toughness but his playing ability. By 2017 we were starting to challenge the arena teams but there were still question marks as to whether we had the belief to beat them to titles.
We faced Belfast in the CC SF and travelled there having lost the first leg. An early goal levelled it but after Keefe fought Bordeleau it was Belfast who looked to be on top.

Up stepped Louis to score not just one but two huge goals. He dominated the ice that night as we went on to win 5-1.

That was the night where I truly started to believe that we weren’t just as good as Belfast and Sheffield but better than them.
Thanks for the memories Big Lou and best of luck in the future.
Just watched the highlights of that game on U-TUBE. 2 Good goals and quite satisfying to see Bordeleau put Keefe in his place

Devils86

Out of Penny and Thompson I'd keep Penny. The guy didn't set the world on fire but he was a third line center and didn't expect him to put 30 goals up across the season...wouldn't choose to bring him back but I'd have him ahead of Thompson

For me Thompson was caught in the wrong position too often, or made costly mistakes, and he wasn't quick enough to get back to recover.