Cardiff @ Steelers - Sat 27th September 7pm- Chat / Updates

Mooney#16

Re: Cardiff @ Steelers - Sat 27th September 7pm- Chat / Upda

That's a great result. Winning and taking points on the road is always a great indicator of team spirit and willingness to do what takes. EDS makes a great point about a lack of offence but I think to put that in perspective they were looking for the road win not to run and gun against the Steelers. Two imports down and with that quantity of early special teams work can quickly drain your top guys so I'm not surprised they got very efficient with their energy and concentrated on defence as a best chance of victory. There is also the big ice factor that automatically takes away a lot of the Devils upsides in the checking aspects of the game. In simplicity defend the middle of the ice. Home ice. Different story and I'd agree a lack of offence an issue as you need to assert yourself but honestly I think Lordo and Franny actually coached a good road game not so much had a team playing rope a dope.

wildthing74

So much time on the PK for pretty much the first half of the game killed us as pretty much 2 lines obviously covered those duties.I am not surprised some fans thought we didn't create an awful lot but then the offence was not allowed to get going with those 3 idiots doing their best to disrupt the game.

DevilDom

Something needs to be done about Darnell reffing in our games as he obviously as a problem with Cardiff. God knows I know its a hard job and you will never please everyone but the number of times he ruins our games is just wrong and a stain on the EIHL. With so many people complaining after a win now would be a good time to speak to the league about it.

Mooney#16

Just seems bizarre and embarrassing about the second goal. I have no issues with reviews and awarding goals if they are goals. But since when is this league doing reviews and in such a poorly managed way. Darns is the game manager and if he didn't give it to revisit after three mins after breaks in play. If someone offered the review he should have rejected it. The EIHL doesn't have technology to do reviews and the league should have a consistent policy namely they don't have them. They appear to have taken great strides on disciplinary system but now this comes up. Unfortunately smacks of chairmans influence. Darns unfortunately has had enough smoke blown up his arse he believes he's a good ref and from the look of it has an arrogant attitude towards development and game management. In a nutshell he needs his bubble burst about performance. The league needs Darns to stage the games but Darns needs to improve.

drainage

See the Devils website politely terms it a strange call! Leaving out the expletives the fans mostly agree!

DevilDom said:
Something needs to be done about Darnell reffing in our games as he obviously as a problem with Cardiff. God knows I know its a hard job and you will never please everyone but the number of times he ruins our games is just wrong and a stain on the EIHL. With so many people complaining after a win now would be a good time to speak to the league about it.
Its Sheffield's new plan to save on expensive arena hire and wages, they dont have to even turn up just get Tom to add on a few goals each week, its brilliant

Diafol

That "goal" was probably the strangest decision I've seen in hockey.

On a brighter note, credit where it's due. The Steelers webcast is the best I've seen in the EIHL.
Picture quality was superb, commentary good and it's yours to sign in and watch again whenever you want afterwards if you wish.

I feel dirty now after admitting that :lol:

Even if the Devils had lost last night you can't fault the effort the whole team is putting in! Thought Haddad had his best game of the season for us and managed to get Hewitt on a double minor penalty. Also nice to see batch offering out several of the steelers players to fight at one point, he seems to be stepping it up physically this season. If Bowns plays like that every game we could do some damage this season.

Don't often post. I've started following the Devils for the past two seasons, having watched Cardiff City the last 20 years. Rebrand meant I stopped watching City and now love attending games with my daughters, home and away.

Was there last night - and Darnell was an absolute disgrace. He ruined the game, and if it had boiled over at the end of the second, the blame would have been squarely on his shoulders. He completely lost control. Pure Laurel and Hardy.

Hendrikx - roughing? All he did was go over and have a word. Myers - interference? Both players were battling for a puck in the corner. I could go on. Steeler's first goal - would like to see it again - but it looked very much like Hay kicked it in. Their second goal? Absolute joke.

The EIHL need to seriously look into it, as his reffing bordered on, don't like saying it, cheating. It's either that or gross incompetence - either way - it spoils the game. I've seen him ruin games before, but last night took the cake. I wish the refs were published 24 hours in advance, as I would save my money every time this muppet is involved with the Devils.

EIHL need to get serious about the officiating. Get some decent refs in from North America, or do something !! - because if it carries on like this, British ice hockey will lose fans and revenue.

wildthing74

Ibbz9 said:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8JMNqEiszc4
Darnell got the goal call spot on!
Even if it was spot on it was not given by him at the time and play carried on and there were stopages in play before he reviewed and gave the goal.On that basis every time he fecks up at BBT we should demand he does the same.He has set a presedent now and the irony is he makes the most mistakes so he will end up looking bad over this.
I still don't understand how the review was eevn allowed to take place way after the game continued.As he even put the clock back are we saying that any goals/pens awarded during the continued spell would be wiped out?
It was just down right embarrassing and was dealt with poorly.Even most of the cardboard cut outs on the other side of then arena seemed embarrassed to celebrate even with motormouth on the mic trying to justify how the goal was given.

Ibbz9

I have reffed a game where I washed out 4 goals and got the clock put back nearly 17 minutes due to a player not being on the game sheet and getting 4 points. It was Doug McEwan's son and caused a stink as he was ejected from the game due to an admin error. If several stoppages had happened in the Darnell case then he was wrong. The way he said it was that it was the first stoppage in play after the "goal".

Mooney#16

Darns says the lino said it was a goal in play whilst skating past each other so if at that point he has decided its a goal then you just whistle the play dead and award. Its not under review awaiting a video replay. Even if Devils had scored he would have washed it out to award the previous goal at that point. He hasn't got to wait for a stoppage in play.

Ibbz9

No. You wait for a stoppage to discuss it properly. This isn't the Titans Christmas Cup ;-)

Devil94

Mooney#16 said:
Darns says the lino said it was a goal in play whilst skating past each other so if at that point he has decided its a goal then you just whistle the play dead and award. Its not under review awaiting a video replay. Even if Devils had scored he would have washed it out to award the previous goal at that point. He hasn't got to wait for a stoppage in play.
Makes sense, because if you're going to award the goal, nothing in the play that you are carrying on is going to count anyway. Seems like the right decision but badly dealt with.

The u-tube evidence shows the puck hit the inside top of the net. Darnel admits neither he nor the linesman saw that happen.
The crucial question appears to be “Did he review the incident at the FIRST stoppage of play” or as other posters suggest “ after several stoppages of play” which should not have happened.

Also I would suggest even as a Cardiff Devils supporter, that in spite of the error/s of Darnell the u-tube evidence clearly shows the puck entered the net so in my opinion it was just and right that the Squeelers were allowed that goal., especially as it fired us up to win the match. :lol:

Ibbz9

You cannot make the call during play. If they are skating passed each other there is not clear communication. Darnell woud have got the message but he needs to talk first to ensure what he heard was correct.

Hate to admit it but I said to several people around me last night that I thought it was goal as the sound wasn't a hit on the pipes!
However the way the rest of the game was refereed was a disgrace?

Two positives out of the game:
We won..............
We had a fantastic trip

Huge thanks to the "Red Army Travel" for organising and running another awesome trip, can't wait for Coventry

Mooney#16

Only problem being Ibbz. In pre season a shot hit the side netting and Tom was the only guy in whole arena who thought it was a goal and he didn't let the play continue until the next stoppage to consult his linos but blew the play down and awarded a goal. Despite during that stoppage being informed the shot had not gone in by the linesman. So to counter he didn't see the shot go in and didn't stop play to award a goal and let it continue until a linesman tells him 100% its a goal. So who exactly calls the goals. Him or the lino. I thought if the ref didn't see it he can't give it. Or when he magics a goal from thin air and is 100% informed it is not a goal does he over rule the lines man. If a linesman tells him its 100% a goal and as per his quote he heard it very clearly in play and that was enough to convince him what is to be reviewed. As per his pre season form whistle the play and award the goal. He's contradicted his refereeing in two ways of handiling a given situation and when referees are looked upon to be as consistent as possible that's a failing.