Challenge Cup - Devils V Blaze - Double Header

kettdevil1 said:
Not sure what to make of this were we brilliant or were Blaze awful? I suspect it was a little of both.....

We were certainly helped in the first period by a catastrophic netminding performance by Zacharias but for the first time in a long time, our Powerplay looked lethal. The passing was crisp and the finishing excellent. It was not a surprise that we scored so many goals on the PP. The PK was also very good and Myers goal, even allowing for the fact that it went straight through the keeper, was a beauty.

For sure we took our foot off the gas in the second and third, keeping a D Man permanently back and limiting the forecheck but, in reality, I was never massively worried that we were going to throw away a win.

Ritchie was a good choice for MOM but Myers was excellent, Mac took his goal well and It was good to see the return of the Mac, Blight, Maxi line. It caused problems all night. Oh and a special mention for Tyson. I was really doubtful when he re-signed but I was wrong. Excellent again tonight.

The Blaze, the excellent Ginard aside, were poor and I really want someone to slap Harvey.

Finally the away support was as good as I have seen for a while. Superb!!
This. I was in with the Blaze fans with a mate who supports them, and the first period was fantastic. The passing was tape-to-tape and we moved them around and looked really controlled. The PP was transformed and the PK was disciplined, culminating in a SHG, as Blaze were forcing it.

We definitely took the foot off the gas in the second, which was a bit of a nothing period, and the 3rd line got more ice time than usual. And despite them getting a couple in the 3rd, we didn't really look like being in trouble, playing within ourselves. Max blocked a shot and hobbled off, but was back on the ice a couple of shifts later. Plumpton took a high stick to the chops and missed most of the first period for some staples. Came back well, wearing number 18.

Blaze looked like they had no jump at all. I was expecting Harvey to step into someone to get their (silent) fans going, but it never happened.

It was hilarious jumping up for the Devils goals and listening to the comments throughout the game. Their fans were so negative. They also iced a guy (23) who looked like he'd won a comp to play for them. He had two or three shifts all game, and I reckon that's all his ticker could take. He looked like he should have been in the bar as opposed to on the ice. We were laughing at him in the warm up.

A great night all round. Let's put them to the sword tomorrow night and build on a very good performance.

Nice to walk away from Cov with a smile on the face.

Chris

Administrator
They also iced a guy (23) who looked like he'd won a comp to play for them. He had two or three shifts all game, and I reckon that's all his ticker could take. He looked like he should have been in the bar as opposed to on the ice. We were laughing at him in the warm up.
That would be the legendary James Pease. I'm not really sure if he plays at any level anymore or just gets picked up from the bar when the Blaze have a couple of injuries and everyone hopes he can still skate.

Sheincar

osh said:
Good result for the team tonight, well done guys. Would agree that it shows a lack of respect not to stand for an anthem. Whilst on this subject, it's also a shame some of our own team can't be bothered to hear our own anthem out at home before skating off !! Have a look tomorrow and see.
That's happened for a while. Have it in the back of my mind that there's a penalty for leaving the blue line while anthem's still playing.

Sheincar

Chris said:
They also iced a guy (23) who looked like he'd won a comp to play for them. He had two or three shifts all game, and I reckon that's all his ticker could take. He looked like he should have been in the bar as opposed to on the ice. We were laughing at him in the warm up.
That would be the legendary James Pease. I'm not really sure if he plays at any level anymore or just gets picked up from the bar when the Blaze have a couple of injuries and everyone hopes he can still skate.
Or that he survives the game without having a heart attack :lol:

jimmy snels

And people talk through ours at home all the time. It does me in!! I wonder whether people don't know its poor form sometimes. Or maybe its just me who sees others faces of bemusement because of it

rolf

Dunno why we have anthems anyways, they aren't international matches as such. It smacks of USA paying homage to their star spangled banner which we pay lip service to over here with a national song or two of our own. Buut if that all we have to moan about, then the whole purpose of this (the ice hockey) was ok for a change.

Bloody heck though, the skydome has turned into a funeral home, worst I have ever seen it (didn't hear a thing), they used to have a bit of an atmosphere, not to mention cheerleaders dancing on podiums an all. Not any more. Not even an inflatable sheep. Shameful really.....Good job we were there else they would have probably all nodded off during the second.

rolf said:
Dunno why we have anthems anyways, they aren't international matches as such. It smacks of USA paying homage to their star spangled banner which we pay lip service to over here with a national song or two of our own. Buut if that all we have to moan about, then the whole purpose of this (the ice hockey) was ok for a change.

Bloody heck though, the skydome has turned into a funeral home, worst I have ever seen it (didn't hear a thing), they used to have a bit of an atmosphere, not to mention cheerleaders dancing on podiums an all. Not any more. Not even an inflatable sheep. Shameful really.....Good job we were there else they would have probably all nodded off during the second.
Its been going that way for a couple of years now, very quiet place

jimmy snels

Last time I went with my mrs. Her first away game. No prompting after first period says "why are they so quiet do they know their winning?"
I said its because its a Wednesday and assumed there was a large queue at the post office. ....

wildthing74

Well that was fun! What a turnaround in terms of PPP and PK and I have not seen us this aggressive on either in years.We simply sucked the life out of them and didn't give them a second on the puck.

Myers worked his bag off forechecking like his life depended on it and set the platform for the whole team all night,Every player can say they left nothing on the ice and considering we were so short you would never have noticed.

I agree with Sheila it was good that we kept some in the tank for tomorrow and were content to let them force the play in the 3rd when we had done enough for the win and good to see the 3rd getting lots of shifts.Tomorrow will be 3 in 4 nights so hopefully we have another game in us to get a 4 point weekend.

Credit to our fans too.Good amount of fans and non stop support and chanting all game long.

Earnie

Great Result. Well done G and the Team

It was Hilton Ruggles who got a penalty for skating off too early during the Anthem at WNIR

drainage

Sheincar said:
osh said:
Good result for the team tonight, well done guys. Would agree that it shows a lack of respect not to stand for an anthem. Whilst on this subject, it's also a shame some of our own team can't be bothered to hear our own anthem out at home before skating off !! Have a look tomorrow and see.
That's happened for a while. Have it in the back of my mind that there's a penalty for leaving the blue line while anthem's still playing.
Yes there is have seen it once in all years I have been watching but yes there is

Finny

Chris said:
Mathematically no, but pretty much yes.

Great win.
Aha, so more victory tomorrow please :D
Actually, I think you might have been right after all. Hull and Coventry would both have to win their remaining games to over take us, but I think they still have to play each other so that's impossible.

What a game! We controlled it the whole time, but Coventry weren't as woeful as it would seem. They made some good plays and a few of their players were battling for every puck.

First up, have to give credit to Ginand who can not stop scoring. He really is a gem, they've found something really special with him. Looks a threat every time he is on the ice, but as has been said, he can't do it all every night.

Matt Myers, hasn't had the best start to the season but last night looked like the MM who Nottingham loved for all those years, goal was a peach, and worked so hard last night. My MOM.

Tyson Marsh is having a great year, really didn't rate him last year, but I was so very wrong. Dan Lacosta didn't really have much to do in the first period but later on in the game made a lot of good saves. Coventry did a good job of screening him for at least two of their goals.

Everything worked last night. Passing was crisp, the shot selection was much better and everybody really gelled, lines looked like..
Faulkner, Blight, Morrissette
Max, Lord, Davies
Piggott, Myers, Jones.

That third line was really impressive, created a lot of opportunities and Piggott is another who's really impressed me this year, along with CJ.

Lastly, massive thank you to the fans who came to Coventry. Loud all the way through, sang the Anthem proudly (albeit a tad out of tune ;) ) and made it a great trip. Days that make me proud to say I support the devils.

Happy hockey days, lets have another one today.

Ger-Devils said:
Wasn't at the game but a great start to the weekend. 3ppg and 2shg. Scoring shared about and going on the road with 14 skaters is not ideal but we know how resilient this team is when the chips are stacked against them.

So Blight is in his last 4 games is 1+7 -People have questioned him but seriously, He's over a point a game already this season and he wasn't the biggest goalscorer last year GP59 G21 A 54 PTS 75. Without his passes, we wouldn't be scoring goals so ease off on him.

Just my opinion really.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Totally agree!

The Devil Himself

ASHIPP

Wagstaff said:
Not taking anything away from your performance, but we played 3 short on the D tonight and it showed big time, we even iced Pease for goodness sake! Zacharias was well and truly hung out to dry. Ginand is excellent when it counts but he can't do it alone every game.

I thought you were going into meltdown over the past couple of weeks but you seem to have come out of it stronger, I think a bit of tough love is needed at the Blaze!
Just to put things in perspective, the Devils were missing 4 players in that game including 2 defencemen. Am sure that tonight will be hard work for both teams again.