Challenge Cup Final - Devils Vs Steelers - VICTORY! VICTORY!

Re: Challenge Cup Final - Devils Vs Steelers - VICTORY! VICT

Temme said:
I agree with all of the above with the anthems.

The Welsh anthem was sung by someone in the Arena with passion & heart and was backed by every single Devils fan in the building.
I think about a third of Devils fans sing the anthem. It's a similar proportion at rugby internationals. Devils fans have less excuse than most people because they would have the chance to sing it at upwards of thirty games a season.

Perhaps learning the words could be a job for the off-season.

I dont think 'God save the Queen (King)' is necessarily meant to be passoinate or patriotic but is a call for God to save the monarch. A good plea imo

mazza03

I sing GSTQ as I am a UK resident I also know the words and sing with gusto our beautiful Welsh anthem because I'm a proud Welsh woman. :Banana :pickle

I went to this game as a neutral with my girlfriend and my brother, although we sat with the Cardiff fans (I'm glad I got tickets in the Cardiff section and not the neutral section, as we would've been surrounded by Sheffield fans!). The Cardiff fans were excellent and it was a great atmosphere, certainly one of the best I've ever been in (although some were a little high pitched....!), and you put the Sheffield fans to shame with your noise.

The game itself seemed to swing one way and then another, but I thought that Cardiff deserved to win in the end. Whenever Sheffield entered the zone, the Devils protected the net very well and stayed compact and kept their shape very well. That really restricted Sheffield and even when they had opportunities, Bowns was equal to the shots. I was really expecting more from Sheffield's top line.

For Cardiff, I thought that Walton had fantastic stickhandling and looked dangerous, and Culligan looked good as well, as well as all of the defencemen. Batch definitely deserves a place in the GB squad (glad he made the 31 list today).

Silly penalty from Legue for the first goal, and then terrible defending to give Lord so much time and space in the slot. I thought Unice could've done better as well, as it looks like he initially thought the shot was going glove side. Second goal was an excellent tip from Culligan.

Overall, I thought the game was very good from a neutrals perspective and I'm happy we sat with the Cardiff fans. Living in London, my local team play in the NIHLS1, so it was good to see something a bit higher quality!

On a slightly side note, did anyone else notice how long Lordo stood at the blue line for after the anthems? That's someone SERIOUSLY focused and in the zone!
Lordo does it every game... I absolutely love it! You can see it on the start of these highlights: https://vimeo.com/117157197
I have noticed this too in all home games I have attended. I think it is a great example of respect, focus and leadership from our Coach.
I'm always a bit disappointed to see players skate off when I am still giving full voice to the last line of the anthem.

Skippy

Thread starter #169

winstanley said:
I think about a third of Devils fans sing the anthem. It's a similar proportion at rugby internationals. Devils fans have less excuse than most people because they would have the chance to sing it at upwards of thirty games a season.

Perhaps learning the words could be a job for the off-season.
Possibly against the normal but I've never got the Anthems at Hockey thing.

Its not a National thing, its not England Vs Wales or even Great Britain Vs Someone else. Its one cities team Vs another add to that the teams are in the main made up of imports to whom the Anthem isn't their Anthem.

Dunno I like that people sing it as it sounds great but just feels odd.

The Devils represent and play in the Capital City of Wales and are supported by people many of whom live all over Wales and abroad having Welsh connection. I think it is great to come back to Wales and stand amongst Cardiff Devils supporters and join in singing the Welsh National Anthem especially if it helps to create an atmosphere and inspire the team and supporters as it so obviously did against the Squeelers. I love it. More of the same.

Wannabe2

Wouldn't realy expect it at a club game, but for a final its a must, and Mr Paul Sullivan done a tremendous job leading us.

Loved every minute sat in with the cardiff fans sunday,even though I'm a blaze fan,watching you lift the trophy put a smile on my face,nothing like seeing steelers lose :) :),hope you go onto win the league,just leave coventry the playoff trophy