Coaching staff Depart

august04 2.0

I’ve no issue people having an opinion and voicing it if they can do so in an informed and respectful way. I’ve zero issue with people agreeing with the coaching change or voicing what they think did or didn’t work tactically. It’s pro sports. If you are paid by fans they’ll have an opinion on how you are doing. It’s an exposed position as coach and the guys are fully aware of that. I don’t think Brodie wants anyone’s sympathy but despite results maybe a thank you for his efforts. Contending for the Conti Cup, League and Play offs still wasn’t a bad stab for his first year. Devils demand success quicker than perhaps he can provide but it wasn’t a lack of effort.

However a couple on here and I stress minority have no self control and think they can post with impunity remarks that cross the boundary of decent critique and become baseless personal insults. Those people a terrible people and deserve to take nothing from the Devils in the form success.
DuPont did himself no favours by bringing in his old buddy Horn, a first year coach too. That was just ridiculous, and I’m surprised that Kelman even agreed to that in all honesty. If the guy needs help and clearly the job is getting too big now for just one coach, then bring in someone to assist him who at least knows the league to start with. It might not have been a lack of effort, but they clearly showed very little coaching ability between them, and they had to go.

Wannabe2

Pete Russell would be a good signing for me, knows the league inside out, knows the British game inside out, knows our club very well having been here many moons ago, knows what Keefe is about and knows a lot about coaching. Would not have been happy with a Neilson appointment, whoever the new guy is it’s certainly been done and dusted for awhile, and it should be announced very soon. In the meantime I wish the DuPont family all the very best, and future success, ( as for Fox Jesus no thank you )

august04 2.0

Pete Russell would be a good signing for me, knows the league inside out, knows the British game inside out, knows our club very well having been here many moons ago, knows what Keefe is about and knows a lot about coaching. Would not have been happy with a Neilson appointment, whoever the new guy is it’s certainly been done and dusted for awhile, and it should be announced very soon. In the meantime I wish the DuPont family all the very best, and future success, ( as for Fox Jesus no thank you )
Fox to the Devils was one of the rumours going around in Nottingham!

Who will work under these conditions? Todd wants to much control and say. Skalede found that out very quickly, not many experienced coaches will stand for that. Just appoint Todd.

The_Stick_

If we do bring in PR, I would not be surprised to see our Goalie Coach, Euan King, take on a bigger role in the coaching side of things. I hear King and Pete are very close.

Mooney#16

DuPont did himself no favours by bringing in his old buddy Horn, a first year coach too. That was just ridiculous, and I’m surprised that Kelman even agreed to that in all honesty. If the guy needs help and clearly the job is getting too big now for just one coach, then bring in someone to assist him who at least knows the league to start with. It might not have been a lack of effort, but they clearly showed very little coaching ability between them, and they had to go.
Fair comment but I guess the counter is who would have done it and for the money on offer unless it was someone looking for a career bump. Franny outright said he wanted to pull back giving the vacancy. Elson was committed to Bristol, Piggsie gone. I get the needs of the role but are the candidates there. Dixon would have been the obvious assistant coach but had already gone. It hasn’t worked clearly but again I don’t think it was a thoughtless decision playing Devils advocate.

august04 2.0

Fair comment but I guess the counter is who would have done it and for the money on offer unless it was someone looking for a career bump. Franny outright said he wanted to pull back giving the vacancy. Elson was committed to Bristol, Piggsie gone. I get the needs of the role but are the candidates there. Dixon would have been the obvious assistant coach but had already gone. It hasn’t worked clearly but again I don’t think it was a thoughtless decision playing Devils advocate.
With all due respect, I think the job is now beyond the likes of those guys you mention. We have to overcome Belfast to get to the top again - their coaching staff comprised of Keefe, Stewart and Awada, all of which have vast experience over here. They are the benchmark.

Pembo

Best wishes to Brodie, nice dude and playoff win was clutch. This season was frustrating & it was a shame we never quite caught fire. BD was unfortunate that his first full season in coaching coincided with Belfast building the best EIHL team in the post COVID era. will be interested to see where he goes next. If PR is owners choice I’ll trust their judgement, experienced coach who knows the league and has European hockey contacts which may broaden our recruitment options. Wonder how many players who stayed due to resigning Brodie last season will stick around? Hope some of the key names do resign.

James

Administrator
I did wonder if we’d see Chuck ‘Playoffs’ Webber here, seemed an odd choice to cover Keefe for GB unless he’s heading over here somewhere. PR wouldn’t be an exciting signing but he’s certainly a safe pair of hands who knows the league well

Mooney#16

With all due respect, I think the job is now beyond the likes of those guys you mention. We have to overcome Belfast to get to the top again - their coaching staff comprised of Keefe, Stewart and Awada, all of which have vast experience over here. They are the benchmark.
But Stewart and Awada are giving up huge home town discounts. They live in Belfast. A comparable in Cardiff might be Max Birbraer but Max has a full time job away from hockey and probably isn’t interested for the money on offer. If you think Cardiff are getting a comparable coaching staff it simply isn’t happening. The guys don’t exist.

august04 2.0

But Stewart and Awada are giving up huge home town discounts. They live in Belfast. A comparable in Cardiff might be Max Birbraer but Max has a full time job away from hockey and probably isn’t interested for the money on offer. If you think Cardiff are getting a comparable coaching staff it simply isn’t happening. The guys don’t exist.
Whether they live in Belfast or not, that’s the reality of what we're up against. The guys you mentioned simply don’t match up. If we want to compete with the best in the EIHL post Lord, we have to recruit a coaching set up that will allow us to get closer to them. We were nowhere near that quality last year and boy did it show.

Mooney#16

I will grant you I reckon Hendo could do a job if you can present a good enough package and he wants to dedicate the time away from his own business. Is Jake Morrisette still in Cardiff?

Personally I want Stephen Cooper out of Porsche on in the bench.

august04 2.0

I will grant you I reckon Hendo could do a job if you can present a good enough package and he wants to dedicate the time away from his own business. Is Jake Morrisette still in Cardiff?

Personally I want Stephen Cooper out of Porsche on in the bench.
Good shouts, I’m surprised Hendo hasn’t been utilised more to be honest, maybe the time that the hockey school takes up doesn’t allow it - and I’m pretty sure Morrisette still lives in Cardiff. There are probably others too, so they are out there. You'd have to pay Cooper a fair old whack to get him out of Porsche, can’t see that one happening unfortunately!

ASHIPP

Being popular doesn't mean you are respected in your job. You can be liked but not taken seriously.....and even taken advantage of. For players to be holding the Club to ransom last year by saying they would only sign if the coach re- signed is a ridiculous way to recruit, and with big risks. It backfired in on-ice performance.

In sport, two of the most important factors to a club are success and entertainment -neither of those were really achieved last season.
Our Club is still small but with a big reputation and, due to past success, high expectations. Perhaps the Club, as well as the fans, realised they couldn't wait for a few years of a popular rookie coach to find his feet, but with below par success along the way.

This is a very tough decision TK and the Ownership have not shied away from. Whilst change always carries an element of risk and disappointment, maybe this time it is a decision that had to be made.

Wish Dupont and Horn all the best. The article almost suggests they might already have career options. Good luck to our Owners and TK with the new coaching set up.

I guess it's watch this space...

Last edited:

ASHIPP

To me that will never happen in a million years and it’s just that a rumour, I don’t think for one minute Fox would be on Todd’s radar, there’s no room in Cardiff for a Steelers reject thank you.
No, don't they usually go in the other direction?! They have McNally, Mosey and a couple of our current players rumoured to be going there too!