Devils@Giants - 28 Jan-CC Semi 1st Leg - 7pm - Chat/Updates

Thread starter #1
Hopefully we will be running MNL for this crucial 1st leg. I am checking whether our usual Giants texters are available whilst trying to find Devils fans making the trip to Belfast.

Coverage will be at the usual location of http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl

If you’d like to chip in with a comment, help out with sending updates from a game or make a score prediction you can contact us at matchnightlive@gmail.com.

Alternatively PM me if you are making the trip or know someone who is

Have Hope#35

Re: Devils@Giants - 28 Jan-CC Semi 1st Leg - 7pm - Chat/Upda

Really hope that Plumpton is playing in this game... Think we will need an agitator! As for who'll sit, it's a hard one yet again?

TheStub

It would be great to have a bit of an update on all the injuries.

With New Jersey Devils I follow the Fire and Ice blog (http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice) where the beat reporter updates from warm-ups and practices. He sees who is training, who is training with who, what work they are doing in training. Gives an insight into the squad, and also an insight into how close players are coming back.

You also go more tit bits of news coming from brief post game press interaction time with the players and coaches.

Anyone fancy doing that for Cardiff :D

The players were on the 11 o clock (ish) flight to Belfast , my flight was at 10.50 and they were all in the departure lounge, so at least they got a bit of a lie-in and will land early enough to get a fairly decent rest.

I dont think we will win in Belfast but if we keep it close you never know.........

Martynwo

TheStub said:

With New Jersey Devils I follow the Fire and Ice blog (http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice) where the beat reporter updates from warm-ups and practices. He sees who is training, who is training with who, what work they are doing in training. Gives an insight into the squad, and also an insight into how close players are coming back.

You also go more tit bits of news coming from brief post game press interaction time with the players and coaches.

Surpried they do that, roster injuries / niggles etc are normally kept a close secret

Paul Sullivan

TheStub said:

Interesting.

There is a whole TV channel the Devils have that would be perfect for that I guess. They asked for suggestions, that's a great one.

This game is a massive ask. I'm taking my own measure of comfort that we just blew out at home the team who recently beat the Giants in the 'O'. Nothing about this season says anybody in the League can live with the Giants over two legs, but the desire and fire of so many of our players could be the difference. Huge game.

TheStub

Martynwo said:
TheStub said:

Surpried they do that, roster injuries / niggles etc are normally kept a close secret
They don't go into details of the injury, but give a time line. So upper or lower body and how long they expect to be out. If they are coming back they cover what sort of training they are doing. Is it only in the gym, are they skating again, but not practising with the full team. Are they skating with the team, but not playing full contact.

TheStub

Paul Sullivan said:
TheStub said:

Interesting.

There is a whole TV channel the Devils have that would be perfect for that I guess. They asked for suggestions, that's a great one.

This game is a massive ask. I'm taking my own measure of comfort that we just blew out at home the team who recently beat the Giants in the 'O'. Nothing about this season says anybody in the League can live with the Giants over two legs, but the desire and fire of so many of our players could be the difference. Huge game.
It doesn't even need to be video. What Fire and Ice have is an article every day from practice, often updated "live" from the rink as snippets come out.

Not huge amounts of information, but enough to cover the "where has Richie gone". Well, Fire and Ice would have "saw Richardson in his tracksuit hitting the gym, but he wasn't skating with the team, when asked Pope said that they currently didn't have a clear time line for him starting to skate, but expect it to be another 2 weeks".

No real news, but enough to keep the fans happy. And it is presented in that sort of chatty manner, and several days a week it is followed by a full article for the local paper.

That is my main critique of Terry's coverage. It is very "breaking news" style, and sometimes you need a more informal "I saw xx walking about, and yy was skating".

Paul Sullivan

Terry is tasked to a Premiership team however. We are very very small beans to anyone but us.

The coverage we do get, for the size of the Club and crowds, is far better than other sports with great numbers of participants (which is of course a driving factor).

But not trying to go OT here. That's a great idea and would kill a lot of idle / negative speculation (and criticism of Club comms).

Back to those pesky Giants, who as the only side to remain healthy this year have proven what cohesion, confidence and consistency can do for an outfit. Boys are fired up for it though so who knows.

TheStub

Paul Sullivan said:
Terry is tasked to a Premiership team however. We are very very small beans to anyone but us.
Exactly. I was just pointing out the short fall in the coverage.

You almost want a fan sat there doing a bit of a daily blog, preferably with only limited access and no affiliation with the club. A fan from the Inferno doing a daily blog after sitting in the stands through training would be the level we are talking. That would make a lot of headway in bridging gaps between the fans and the club :D

Temme

wouldn't something along these lines give away bits of crucial information to our oppostion?

Or am I barking up the complete wrong tree here!

TheStub

Temme said:
wouldn't something along these lines give away bits of crucial information to our oppostion?

Or am I barking up the complete wrong tree here!
(Getting a little off topic... but what the hey for a moment).

Have a read through the site. There isn't really much in there that gives away tactical stuff. Nothing more than the club would say in a release. But it keeps you in touch with the trivialities of the team. Who knows what Richie and Quinie (sp - can't be bothered to look it up) are up to in the recovery. There may be no mews, but it make no news into "I saw him walking around the rink".

Thread starter #13

Kerry said:
The players were on the 11 o clock (ish) flight to Belfast , my flight was at 10.50 and they were all in the departure lounge, so at least they got a bit of a lie-in and will land early enough to get a fairly decent rest.

I dont think we will win in Belfast but if we keep it close you never know.........

kerry,

If you are off to Belfast what are the chances you could help MNL out.

PM me if you can

jimmy snels

Nott Simpson said:
Kerry said:

kerry,

PM me if you can
Haha that'll teach you for bragging! :lol: :lol:

Going to what stub suggested. What a fantastic idea. Small interviews reference nothing particularly tactical with a different guy each time to! Just ask how their doing, how their anticipating the next game and general chit chat. This would hopefully help with the "I know something you don't know" aspect that annoys many so much.

Nott Simpson said:
Kerry said:
The players were on the 11 o clock (ish) flight to Belfast , my flight was at 10.50 and t hey were all in the departure lounge, so at least they got a bit of a lie-in and will land early enough to get a fairly decent rest.

kerry,

PM me if you can
Sadly not. Spent a fortune in Scotland and have just bought my Playoff tickets :)

I was on my home to Birmingham when I saw the players.

jimmy snels said:
Nott Simpson said:
Kerry said:

kerry,

PM me if you can
Haha that'll teach you for bragging! :lol: :lol: 8

Going to what stub suggested. What a fantastic idea. Small interviews reference nothing particularly tactical with a different guy each time to! Just ask how their doing, how their anticipating the next game and general chit chat. This would hopefully help with the "I know something you don't know" aspect that annoys many so much.
How was I bragging ??

jimmy snels

I was only joking cool ya beans :) I was jealous because I thought ud gone to Belfast , now I know ur stuck to webcast just like me :(

jimmy snels said:
I was only joking cool ya beans :) I was jealous because I thought ud gone to Belfast , now I know ur stuck to webcast just like me :(
Ha ha...no problem, sorry :D

Chris

Administrator

As long as it's a bit closer than the last game in Belfast!

I don't expect a win tonight, but just keeping it close at least gives us a bit more of a chance for the second leg in the BBT...