Devils @ Giants - March 27th - 7pm - Chat & Updates

jimmy snels

Westgarth running around doing what he wants this third period. Clarkson just skated away whilst hotham gets roughed because Westgarth stepped in for his captain keefe, our best dman.... poor show.

Devil94

Would have definitely taken that at the start, more so now as we were not at our best tonight. But a good effort and I'm confident about Sunday.

jimmy snels

A performance reminiscent of the Sheffield away game that decided the league. Thought we were out hit and played a lot of dump and chase. Hopefully we go back to playing fast aggressive hockey sunday or we could be in trouble.
Darnell and hicks very good tonight just let it go

Wannabe2

jimmy snels said:
A performance reminiscent of the Sheffield away game that decided the league. Thought we were out hit and played a lot of dump and chase. Hopefully we go back to playing fast aggressive hockey sunday or we could be in trouble.
Darnell and hicks very good tonight just let it go
Spot on, exactly how I saw it.

jimmy snels said:
Westgarth running around doing what he wants this third period. Clarkson just skated away whilst hotham gets roughed because Westgarth stepped in for his captain keefe, our best dman.... poor show.
But in the last game over there, is this not Westgarth was doing and Devils took no end of stupid penalties. Perhaps they were just trying to get the same response?

backrow

jimmy snels and wannabe2, the play by play announcers also praised the refs for their officiating and letting it go while identifying at least half a dozen penalties during the game that should have been called against Belfast. I'm sure the players would like to know that a penalty is going to be called a penalty.

In my opinion, the EIHL needs to address the quality and consistency of the officiating for the league to continue to improve.

I wish Hudson had passed to a wide open teammate who had half an empty net to shoot at with only a few minutes left during 4 on 4, instead to going high glove.

I also felt that Ben Bowens deserved the MOM!

jimmy snels

I thought we got away with a few too mind. One too many men call was blatant but you play to the officials and they ain't calling much so get involved. We do struggle on the larger ice With speed at times.

DevilDom

Strange feelings about that result.

Happy that it is only a 1 goal deficit, but somewhat disappointed with the performance of many Devils after what we have come to expect this season. Don't want to pick individuals out but hope they were keeping it back for the home leg. One thing is for sure our "big" guys cannot let us be physically dominated like Westgarth and Keefe did in the 3rd for the Giants.

Anyone thinking a 1-0 loss is a good result beware.

backrow

Watching the 1st period, I would have accepted a 1-0 loss but the Devils picked up their play in the last 2 periods quite a bit.

Culli limped off the ice very late in the game, after being grabbed and thrown to the ice down in the Belfast corner. Belfast player had no fear of a penalty being called by that stage of the game. Hopefully, it is not serious because he would be a big loss with his strong two way play.

Temme

Not sure how to feel.

Given the context of the game, 1-0 is an OK result for both teams.

However if this was the regular season I'd be disappointed.

DevilDom

jimmy snels said:
Agree with this. Think Clarkson has been great for us this season despite away to belfast. Seems his friendship with keefe affects his physical play and if that is the case better to play Jesse and bench him.

jimmy snels

DevilDom said:
jimmy snels said:
Agree with this. Think Clarkson has been great for us this season despite away to belfast. Seems his friendship with keefe affects his physical play and if that is the case better to play Jesse and bench him.
In all honesty i don't know what jesse has said or done but he's a better player in big games than a number of our other forwards. He's a spark plug, high energy and doesn't care if keefe Westgarth salters or the likes are about. Our extra import hasn't been effective but completely wasted IMO because effectively we've just benched jesse the entire time. Players not rotated Culminating in a couple of real capitulations.

As for clarkson has he thrown a hit against belfast all year?!

jimmy snels said:
DevilDom said:
jimmy snels said:
In all honesty i don't know what jesse has said or done but he's a better player in big games than a number of our other forwards. He's a spark plug, high energy and doesn't care if keefe Westgarth salters or the likes are about. Our extra import hasn't been effective but completely wasted IMO because effectively we've just benched jesse the entire time. Players not rotated Culminating in a couple of real capitulations.

As for clarkson has he thrown a hit against belfast all year?!
Agree with this really feel for Mychan, I think we have missed his spark in a couple of games recently. Clarkson has been great but does seem to go missing too often for my liking.

KaneDevils

Really don't buy into this " Clarkson isn't physical against Belfast because he's friends with Keefe" nonsense. A) Belfast do have other players, B) I doubt he'd be a professional sportsman with that kind of attitude. C) The coach certainly wouldn't allow that!

In fact, if he needs to be more physical, shouldn't the coach be telling him so? Maybe he's been told not to be?

A one goal deficit against a big team in a big game is of course a good result. Its very much in our own hands. We have proved we can beat anyone by a big(ish) margin, especially at home.