Devils @ Giants - March 27th - 7pm - Chat & Updates

jimmy snels

I didn't mention friends with keefe mate. I think though he's avoided being physical all season against giants. as our biggest player he should be standing up for hotham last night, firstly against keefe then Westgarth. He skated away and didn't want to know. the belfast commentary was basically mocking him for it!
With enforcers struggling for work in the NHL i hope we can pick up a genuine hard man next season, one who contributes but also steps up to be counted. that's kinda why i was disappointed when we didn't get biz we went for a small soft centre to be honest.

Ocko

I don't think its Clarkson at all. Rightly or wrongly it's a coaching thing. If Clarkson was told to go out and be physical and subsequently wasn't he would be dropped for Mychan. It's quite simple.

I think we avoided getting too involved deliberately as I have no doubt that Hotham would've gone with Keefe, he hasn't shyed away from the tough guys this season.

KaneDevils

jimmy snels said:
I didn't mention friends with keefe mate. I think though he's avoided being physical all season against giants. as our biggest player he should be standing up for hotham last night, firstly against keefe then Westgarth. He skated away and didn't want to know. the belfast commentary was basically mocking him for it!
With enforcers struggling for work in the NHL i hope we can pick up a genuine hard man next season, one who contributes but also steps up to be counted. that's kinda why i was disappointed when we didn't get biz we went for a small soft centre to be honest.
No it was mentioned by someone else Jimmy. Id say if he's generally been less physical against the Giants then that would be more of a tactical coaching decision rather than the player himself. You aren't less physical against a team because your pals with one of their players. This is professional sport.

jimmy snels

So we'd rather hotham our best dman stood up for himself with a third line forward? Im sorry but thats a shit trade off! And as one of our best players I'd much rather a third line forward of our own stood up for him (not to mention said forward is 6ft 6 and pretty handy in a dance)

Ocko said:
I don't think its Clarkson at all. Rightly or wrongly it's a coaching thing. If Clarkson was told to go out and be physical and subsequently wasn't he would be dropped for Mychan. It's quite simple.

I think we avoided getting too involved deliberately as I have no doubt that Hotham would've gone with Keefe, he hasn't shyed away from the tough guys this season.
Think you called this one right Ocko. Think it will be different tomorrow night, especially if Giants go a few goals down.

From what I was told by texters the Devils played a very controlled game last night and stuck by their game plan.

It am amazed that a section of Devils fans want the team to be ophysical alkl the time and feel deprived if they are not.

REMEMBER YOU CANNOT WIN A 2 LEGGED GAME IN THE FIRST GAME BUT YOU CAN LOSE IT

Temme

As myself and Jimmy have talked all season at the games:

If Clarkson was 5 inches shorter, would your opinion change then?

My answer is simply YES.

He's a 20 goal a season forward in his first year, will fight anyone, chirps non stop.

I think stereotypically big guys should be physical, aggressive and not known for their goal scoring, but Dougie has some soft hands, works well on his line and is always looking to get at people.

People mocked us at the start of the year with our "goon" signing and "gone by Christmas", however he's far from that.

I hope next year we don't utilize the extra import that's coming in and throw more money at keeping key players from this season & signing a big name.

Ocko

jimmy snels said:
So we'd rather hotham our best dman stood up for himself with a third line forward? Im sorry but thats a shit trade off! And as one of our best players I'd much rather a third line forward of our own stood up for him (not to mention said forward is 6ft 6 and pretty handy in a dance)
I never said at any point I would rather trade Hotham for Keefe, he shouldnt be fighting him in terms of a trade. But it's a mans game and Hotham plays it the right way, he sticks up for himself and rightly so. He doesn't need anyone to do his dirty work for him.

Plus was anything that bad he needed someone to immediately diver in and take a penalty for? Seemed to me Keefe and Hotham were at each other all game and it was 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

So much goes on on the bench that nobody hears, what if Franny or Lord told Clarkson he isn't to be suckered into dropping the gloves under any circumstances? It's quite likely.

voth26

DevilDom said:
jimmy snels said:
Westgarth running around doing what he wants this third period. Clarkson just skated away whilst hotham gets roughed because Westgarth stepped in for his captain keefe, our best dman.... poor show.
Agree with this. Think Clarkson has been great for us this season despite away to belfast. Seems his friendship with keefe affects his physical play and if that is the case better to play Jesse and bench him.
+1

KaneDevils

Clarkson won't be benched as he's doing what his coach has asked of him.
I'd say there's more to the mychan saga than we know about. Just a hunch.

voth26

I really would like to see mychan let loose tomorrow night. Whilst a 1_0 scoreline is not drastic, we are a goal down and it's us that need to score first to level the tie. The longer the game goes on without us scoring the more desperate we will get. We need good old devils hard hitting fast paced but disciplined hockey, and I think mychan can be the spark to get us in the tie. He's good on the forecheck and finishes his checks and will step up without thinking about it. Who Lordo leaves out I don't know but we have to score early. We have owned the giants in the BBT this season let's own them for one more game

Westgarth showed himself for what he is, let him make a few big hits to show Giants fans some highlights on his last game at the Odyssey, he won't be back.

So, how effective were his tactics. They were 1-0 up when he'd barely been on the ice and after his showboating there were, erm, 1-0 up. Yes, Dougie is a big guy but with so much more to his game. Anyone else notice that he was fighting virtually every game when we were in our slump. He is worth more to us than Westgarth is and I'd rather him be on the ice creating than in the bin or worse in the dressing room.

Good coaching to be honest, nothing got out of hand so no need to lose composure. We have the right balance, we saw that against Nottingham. Hendrikx pulled Lawrence into line after 3 hits and Batch sorted Parent after dirty hit. We are not a weak team, we pick our battles. Just remember, small ice and noisy barn tomorrow. This is our house