Devils v Blaze - Sat 09/01 - 7:00pm - Chat/Updates

Russky

Well here's my 5pennath worth:

First Period we were woeful. No hits or any physicality aside from 1 mid ice hip check by Max. we looked like the away team with bus legs!

2nd period we were much better! Hitting where necessary. Stickwork and puck control still not great though! Wes' Goal was the deserved reward for out working the Blaze with tenacity, grit and sheer determination!

3rd period Quiet to start off with from both teams but slowly we asserted ourselves and got the initiative thanks to a well worked and patient play that led to the equaliser from Hilly! It was a delayed penalty goal From that point on we were destined to win the game despite some very strange calls by Darnell who seemed intent on keeping on us the PK! Max's goal was well worked as Coventry missed Voth back on the ice after his very dubiously called penalty, engineering a 2on1 break that Max finished with aplomb!

Good 2 period display from the Devils! Same result again tomorrow please but without the first period display!

TheStub said:
Next home game, everyone has to do the "hands up for".

Hanson, or Thompson work best, as their names fit the chant...really got to Darnell I thought though :lol:
That was the funniest thing i have seen all season every time Darnell raised his arm the block 2 boys did the same and again when he dropped his arm to signal a face off - very funny and you are right it got to him :lol: i reckon we should do it to every ref..

Wannabe2

What a bloody great game, the 1st we were woeful, but whatever G said in the interval worked, in the 2nd we played the game that Blaze just dont like, the game we should have played from the get go, physical, Blaze are a very fast talented team, and if you let them they will destroy you. And thats where we came into our own, hit hit hit, they just cant hack it. Personnaly i couldnt give a fig what others thought, i thought all the lads showed character and passion tonight, some didnt do one thing, but done another that helped get the result we needed big time. A great night 2 points against the team that will win the league, and a display to show that on our day we are as good as anyone. Consistency is the thing that wins titles, and thats what we are lacking, but when we do play, we really can be the Mutts Nutts.Anyway thanks guys for a great night, a lousy night when so many people could have stayed home in the warm, but braved the elements and were rewarded with 2 fantastic points, by our very own Cardiff Devils. Same again tomorrow please.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

drainage

the placid casual said:
TheStub said:
Next home game, everyone has to do the "hands up for".

Hanson, or Thompson work best, as their names fit the chant...really got to Darnell I thought though :lol:
That was the funniest thing i have seen all season every time Darnell raised his arm the block 2 boys did the same and again when he dropped his arm to signal a face off - very funny and you are right it got to him :lol: i reckon we should do it to every ref..
took my 10 yr old nephew tonight and he loved the hands up !!! Had a whale of a time copying the block 2 boys !!

Ger-Devils

Would anyone care to join in with me when I start a chant on the PP? I was at the back of Block 1 and people just looking at me thinking who's this fella! lol

Good game overall. 1st was woeful, 2nd got better and nice way to get the win. Hell of a goal. Nice to see them show bottle to turn it around.

Wannabe2 said:
What a bloody great game, the 1st we were woeful, but whatever G said in the interval worked, in the 2nd we played the game that Blaze just dont like, the game we should have played from the get go, physical, Blaze are a very fast talented team, and if you let them they will destroy you. And thats where we came into our own, hit hit hit, they just cant hack it. Personnaly i couldnt give a fig what others thought, i thought all the lads showed character and passion tonight, some didnt do one thing, but done another that helped get the result we needed big time. A great night 2 points against the team that will win the league, and a display to show that on our day we are as good as anyone. Consistency is the thing that wins titles, and thats what we are lacking, but when we do play, we really can be the Mutts Nutts.Anyway thanks guys for a great night, a lousy night when so many people could have stayed home in the warm, but braved the elements and were rewarded with 2 fantastic points, by our very own Cardiff Devils. Same again tomorrow please.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.
Well said :0)

Ger-Devils

Wannabe2 said:
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.
I was actually warmer in the rink than at the city game this afternoon! As you say, lots of character and passion shown by the whole team to recover from being 2 down

Ger-Devils said:
Would anyone care to join in with me when I start a chant on the PP? I was at the back of Block 1 and people just looking at me thinking who's this fella! lol

I think you would have had a hard job to be honest especially from the three ignorant people who didnt even bother standing for the National Anthem

jimmy snels

good 2nd and 3rd period and well happy with the result :D

the 2 coventry goals came against our 1st line (again!!) but i can handle it if we win :lol:

tylor was excellent again, i want him signed for next season now!!!!!!!! jarvis did very well, excellent on the PP, which i fancy he could/should have had more opportunity to show! darnell did let it flow in the first period but i was almost like he started to call things for the sake of it and then missed a couple of blatant things (millers head nearly taken off/maxi tripped on way to net/trip on jay by cov nettie to name a few!!). block 2 guys made me laugh with their arms up tho :lol:

Finny

Another cracking game between the Devils and the Blaze in the Tent.

After collapsing in the first period of the last game, the Blaze has obviously been told not to do the same thing this time and started the game on fire. Passing the puck with speed and accuracy the Devils struggled to get near them.
It has to be said the Devils were also poor, seemed to be playing too defensively and other than Michel and the ever-improving Symonds were not hitting the Blaze players and being nasty enough.

Blaze took the lead on a quick counter-attack, Fulghum's initial shot from long range seemed to be held by Lyle, but as he skated in on Lyle he swung at it again and the puck flew into the net. From those who had a better view of the goal they said Lyle dropped it and Fulghum simply tapped it through his five-hole.

Devils 0-1 Blaze

Although the Blaze were dominating the game they weren't really creating that many clear cut chances. A big mid-ice hit from Birbraer seemed to kick the Devils into action, and with 5 minutes of the period left they finally started to create some chances. With two minutes to go the Blaze cleared the puck into the Devils zone, Birbraer picked it up and the for some reason when under no pressure banged it against the boards straight to a Blaze player, who passed it around quickly to give Greg Owen a simple tap-in into the half empty net.

Devils 0-2 Blaze

Up until this point referee Darnell had let everything go and not called a single penalty - even though several players on both sides should have been sent to the bin. In the final minute Miller lays off the puck and skated behind the net looking for the return. Lee grabs him around the neck and throws him to the ice (IMO quite dangerously). Darnell shakes his head.
With Miller still on the ice Latulippe goes up to Lee and gives him a shove in the chest, and he gets one back. Miller then gets back up and tries to start a fight with Lee, but before either of them can throw any punches Miller falls back down to the ice.

Latulippe gets 2 minutes for roughing.
Miller gets 2 minutes for roughing. And 2 minutes for Goalie Inteference (which I totally missed ?!?!?!??!?)
Lee gets 2 minutes for roughing. Nothing for the headlock but 2 minutes for tripping (which again I totally missed?!?!?!?!?)

Into the second period and the Devils come out a different team, hitting everything in sight and playing with the intensity that was totally lacking from the first period. After all his bad luck in the previous two games, Hirsch was getting all his good luck in one period. Though he was making some excellent saves he was also making a couple with his pads whilst looking the other way, not having a clue where the puck was.

Had the Devils been a bit more accurate they could have taken the lead within the first 10 minutes of the period as several shots whistled past the post. Fortunately for the Devils Hirsch undid all his good work with a moment of madness. After charging out of his net to play the puck in the corner he lost the puck and charged back towards goal. Latulippe had now taken up position just outside the crease and instead of go around him, Hirsch cross-checked Jay in the head and into the net.

From the resulting powerplay the Devils passed the puck around well, Michel spotting Jarvis in space and he fired past Hirsch.

Devils 1-2 Blaze.

From this point on, it was all the Devils and in my view the Blaze never looked like scoring again.

Into the final period, and 5 minutes in Owen was called for a soft trip just seconds after a more blantant trip by Hirsch had been ignored. Whilst on the powerplay, a delayed penalty was called on Robinson for a cross-check, but instead of the Devils shooting the puck to get a 5-on-3 they continued to pass it around. Owen's penalty expired with the delayed call still in progress, and finally when Latulippe picked it up on the blueline he picked out Hill who diverted it into the far corner.

Devils 2-2 Blaze

Again the Devils looked like the only side likely to score again, and it was a case of whether they would get the win in regulation or overtime. With 6 minutes remaining Voth was called for Boarding which seemed harsh. Blaze didn't take their chance though and as Voth came out of the box he was spotted by Latulippe and fed the puck. Breaking down the right wing with a 2-on-1 break he took his time before passing to Birbraer who one timed it into the net.

Devils 3-2 Blaze

In those final 4 minutes the Devils continued to press forward and were unlucky not to add a 4th. Blaze looked like they didn't believe they would score an equaliser and I can't remember them creating a single decent chance as the Devils forechecked well and saw out the remaining minutes comfortably.

Great comeback for the Devils, the first period was worrying but if we can play every game like we did the last 40 we will be very tough to beat. Not sure what went wrong with the Blaze - they looked great in the first period and deserved the league's top spot. I don't know whether they felt they had done enough to win but from the second period on they looked pretty average and low on confidence.

MOTM could have been anyone from several Devils players. Michel once again gave 100% every shift, Latulippe had his best game in a long time and had a say in all 3 goals. Also a mention for Birbraer who has been attracting some criticism lately and had his best two periods in a long time and was almost unplayable at times.

We looked like a diffferent team in the 2nd and 3rd compared to the 1st period. We need that same team to come out each and every game.
I think the reason why people become so frustrated with the team when we play like we did in the 1st is because we know how well they can play. All we ask is 100% effort every shift. That's the only way to win trophies.
Great turnaround last night guys, lets keep up the momentum tonight.

Does anyone know why the cars were parked so close together in the devils car park last night? Was pretty cringe worthy watching everyone trying to get out at the end, not to great either when the place is covered in snow and ice.

Slartibartfast

I don't post much but this game was well worth commenting on.

Yes the Devils were poor in the first but don't take anything away from the Blaze. They played the best hockey I have seen for years in the first. I haven't seen dominance like that since the days of the mighty Durham Wasps. Blaze came into the game after beating Belfast 7-1 last week and their confidence showed. They did everything right.

When a team has confidence and morale like that it can be like a Juggernaut coming at you but the Devils stopped them, disrupted their pretty play and turned it around. This was a fantastic result for the Devils and they should gain a lot of confidence in themselves from this and carry it to their away games.

As for Mark Smith, I thought he played a big part in disrupting Blazes attacks. Blaze were carrying the puck a lot more than us (who were dumping and chasing in the first) but Smithy dispossessed their puck carriers many times.