Devils v Capitals - 07/02 - 6:00pm - Chat/Updates

Wannabe2

Okay as i have said i wasnt at the game on Sunday, but i have watched the dvd and these are some of my views.
Hicks sucks
Caps Nettie pulled off 13 very good saves.
POSITIVES.
1. We took the body 18 times.
2. We showed committment for 3 periods
3. We defo had most of the game, and deserved to win.
4. Smithy worked his nutts off.
NEGATIVES.
1.Passing poor
2.Too many penalties
3.Too many pretty plays instead of shooting
4. Too many individual plays
5. Frustration really set in.

Some games we have won, when we should have lost.
Some games we have lost like this one and we should have won.

These are my views having watched the game in the quite of my room, with no emotions flowing around me, and no frustrations in the atmosphere, and obviously knowing the outcome.
Are things at the club right, then obviously not, but we dont have the god given right to beat anyone, and this needs addressing.
Need to say a lot more but cant find the right words at the mo.

The biggest Travesty in the game at the moment is the standard of officiating.

I wasn't at the game on Sunday, by from texters at the game, I pretty quickly picked up on the fact that Mr Hicks had it in for Cardiff.

If the word consistency is too big a word for Mr Hicks to understand - let me spell it out - you treat both sides the same way (You PILCHARD!!!!)

I have never rated Mr Hicks as a ref, but when the crowd at the tent are calling out for Mr Darnell - it puts into context how shockingly bad Mr Hicks' performance must have been.

I wish the referees would get assessed more regularly. Until such time as they are assessed more regularly, we will always end up with the Referees (and their fragile egos) destroying the game all love.

W3LSH said:
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately going by this thread?) I had to miss the game on Sunday, but posts here tend to agree with two names that keep cropping up for lack of effort / performance - Max and Smith :(

I'd happily see the young Brits take their place who put 110% in every shift
When is it going to sink in people. Smithy is playing with his leg in a brace and will have to until the end of the season when he can rest long enough for his knee to recover. I think that deserves credit not a slagging off !!!

would it not be better to rest smith when G and tylor are fit then to make sure that smith can finish the season. He might then remember where the back of the net is....... $ should equal goals

BLOCK 3 DEVIL said:
W3LSH said:
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately going by this thread?) I had to miss the game on Sunday, but posts here tend to agree with two names that keep cropping up for lack of effort / performance - Max and Smith :(

When is it going to sink in people. Smithy is playing with his leg in a brace and will have to until the end of the season when he can rest long enough for his knee to recover. I think that deserves credit not a slagging off !!!
Is this an injury from before the off season? if not then maybe doing a bit of training during the off season maybe it would have meant he didnt need a leg brace.

BLOCK 3 DEVIL said:
W3LSH said:

That explains how every shot he hits is straight at the goale then? If hes injured, dont play him.

osh

BLOCK 3 DEVIL said:
[

If he is playing with a knee brace, then he has been deemed fit enough to play, lots of other players have done it in the past. yes he deserves credit for doing so, but I,m judging him on what he's supposed to do and that is score goals as our 1st line centre, and he's not doing it. If he's going against medical advice then he doesn't deserve credit however. He's working exceptionally hard on his game, and unselfishly covers a large amount of ice on his shifts, but, he's just not doing what he's supposed to ( possibly trying too hard ) We've had problems like this before and never seem to have a contingency plan in place i.e if a player get's injured, replace him until he's 100% fit, and if he can't get 100% fit in a short space of time, gas him!

ASHIPP

[]
I,m judging him on what he's supposed to do and that is score goals as our 1st line centre, and he's not doing it.[/quote]

Do we even know who is on the 1st line anymore, there have been so many changes! :lol:

Smithy isn't the only guy who might be scrutinised. He can't be faulted for effort on Sunday and was one of only a few players trying to create chances - there have been several other players who have been inconsistent and shown lack of commitment for a few games, not just last weekend. :x

As for the reffing - yes, pretty aweful, but the guys awarded themselves 3x10 mins for showing their frustration and getting angry. They know the likely outcome when that happens. :x

BLOCK 3 DEVIL said:
W3LSH said:

When is what going to sink in?! Smith is one of the players who is not earning there position in the team IMO. To me it doesn't matter if he's fully fit, 80% fit or another other figure you can think of, if he's not performing, give someone like Davies (for example) a chance who appears to do alot more.

Underperforming because of an injury does not deserve credit, when he's taking the place of someone who could!!

Gazza272

Batman said:
just to confirm how long has smith been injured? when did the injury occur

Since October time, he was out for a few weeks wiht knee problems and then Matt Burge wrote that he was playing again with a knee brace, i would say only the first month of the season he was fit.

Gazza272

Batman said:
If he was injured in october didnt we have enough time to look for a suitable replacement.

Mmmm personally i dont think we have needed one, i think Smith has played this year, hasnt been prolific offensively, but defensively mostly he's been solid and depenadable.

Another player i feel has been subject to far to many line mates. I dont think a replacement theory was ever really on the cards. I have noticed Smith skating a lot better the past few weeks also.

Finny said:
DiafolsDiafols said:
Don't know if anyone was there but a lot of Devils players were out drinking in the Hard Rock Cafe for the Superbowl on Sunday evening. It's a free country and all that, but if I was of them I'd be too ashamed to show my face in public after the performance I gave that day, let alone living it up in the bloody pub! :(
This was an event arranged with the club - they were giving away vouchers for it in previous games. I would assume that the players had to go there - like they do with the Bowling Nights etc.
Yeh I expect they had to drag them kicking and screaming :roll:

I think I saw in one of the progs that it was a couple of the players idea, hartwick, romfo ? and the fans were more than welcome to join them