Devils v Capitals - 07/02 - 6:00pm - Chat/Updates

wildthing74

Wannabe2 said:
Wasnt at the game on Sunday as was watching our namesakes over the pond, Devils v Leafs, and Devils v Rangers thank god. Cant understand why this team are shooting themselves in the foot time after time, now i am not sticking up for the team believe me, as things at the moment are very poor, but firstly dont think we should wipe out Caps at ours, as they are playing as a team and for each other, there result the night before against Blaze was a result we would have been pleased about. Things are very wrong at our club at the moment and they need to be addressed immediately, or crowds will drop and the club as a whole will suffer, meaning we guys will also suffer. Players come and players go, but its us guys that are always there, these guys are supposed to be grown men, and they are payed to produce a product irrelevant of who they like and who they dislike, or whether they want to stay, or whether they want to bugger off.
If certain players dont want to be here then have the nutts to say so, grow a pair, and grow up. We have three very young local lads, who if given more ice time would really embarrass some of our so called stars. If this team was pants from the get go, if would be easier to understand, but its a team that when they can be bothered, can and have beaten every team in the league, but its the bothered that seems to be missing. Since boxing day we have been pants at home, as well as away, and it cant be allowed to carry on, whats the answer at this time of the season god knows, but if these players have any respect for the paying fan, and thats what they should be focussing on, then grow up, get a grip, and give a bit back, instead of take, take, take. Sorry about the rant, but we deserve better, and these guys need to be told that, and take it on board as at the moment they are short changing, and kicking the very people they should be going through a brick wall for. If any player thinks there name is bigger than that on the front of the shirt, then they are in LAA LAA LAND. So come on guys, beleive it or not we have witnessed players with far bigger goolies than you, just try giving a bit back for the rest of the season, its called maturity, passion, and thinking of others.
Top post Wannabe.A lot said in there that I was trying not to say since the weekend.Hope you guys enjoyed the trip but thought you were all back tomorrow?

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #103
ASHIPP ; Sorry to disagree, but in your post you quote SOLUTIONS and then go on to say ''only the coaches will know ''. That's just it, they don't know ! We are now more than thre quarters of the way through the season and still we make elementary mistakes such as too many many men on the ice etc. The lines have constantly been changing to no avail. The time to sort lines out is during training and not on a match night ! All of that is down to good coaching, which we sadly lack. Finally, it's time the players took a look at themselves an understand that no matter who the referee is, once he has made a decision, he never goes back on that decision. We take the dumbest penalties from players who have been around and can't keep their mouths shut, they really should know better, and they do it pretty often as well. They are no good to us in the penalty bin !
Seems it's fairly safe to say that it's the say grumbles after each game now, 2 bench coaches, not enough players on the ice, too many players on the ice, seemingly random line changes during the game (3 centres on one line anyone?) so i'm starting to think you're right. Surely with 2 bench coaches we shouldn't be making these mistakes, especially so often?

The CC final really is going to be a disaster :(

Chris.

jimmy snels said:
instead they went out, had a drinkathon (again) and probs didnt give a monkeys! the only thing our team is going to win this year is the yard of ale contest in town or a drunken kareokee contest.
quote]

That made me laugh that, bad thing is it could be true..... :(

Lets not tar all the players with the same brush there are certain players who work out every day (off season also, watch what they eat on especially on game days. Again it comes down to personal responsibility, i know guys on the team who are frustrated by the lack of commitment, the level of respect for the club and the fact that they are paid players who are playing the game they grew up loving and now get paid to do so.

Next season we need a Captain who leads the team in fitness and makes sure every team member has a passion for the club and in so works hard, a coach that commands respect and takes no crap and a team that has the hard work ethic we as fans of the Cardiff Devils demand

osh

Wannabe 2, we have differed on many occasions in the past, so I know just how much it has hurt you to make your post on this topic. You know what I'd do at this stage of the season ? Obviously there are certain players who are in a comfort zone and just going through the motions. Personally, I would gas them now, play our younger players on full shifts until the end of the season and probably save about £30,000 in the process ( money that could be spent next season on a new coach ) That would mean that we will not win the CC, but I can't see us doing that anyway. We would probably miss out on the play offs, but a statement would be made that the club is more important than individuals. Talking of individuals, the 3 players I would gas this week if I had the chance would be Smithy, Max and Brad who is a liability as a captain and not the inspirational figure he has been for this club in the past, he's way over his sell by date. And I reiterate what I have said last season and this season, Gerad has had his chance, it's time for him to go as well. I sincerely hope the players read this forum, but having said that, I don't really think many of them care as to our present predicament.

osh said:
Wannabe 2, we have differed on many occasions in the past, so I know just how much it has hurt you to make your post on this topic. You know what I'd do at this stage of the season ? Obviously there are certain players who are in a comfort zone and just going through the motions. Personally, I would gas them now, play our younger players on full shifts until the end of the season and probably save about £30,000 in the process ( money that could be spent next season on a new coach ) That would mean that we will not win the CC, but I can't see us doing that anyway. We would probably miss out on the play offs, but a statement would be made that the club is more important than individuals. Talking of individuals, the 3 players I would gas this week if I had the chance would be Smithy, Max and Brad who is a liability as a captain and not the inspirational figure he has been for this club in the past, he's way over his sell by date. And I reiterate what I have said last season and this season, Gerad has had his chance, it's time for him to go as well. I sincerely hope the players read this forum, but having said that, I don't really think many of them care as to our present predicament.
Ditto

Gazza272

I'm suprised folk are saying it looked like Brad didnt care on Sunday, for me he looked heavily frustrated with what was going on.

He got called for pretty much everything he did, and as the game went on he was pretty much the only player who threw a check.

I would lke to watch the Edinburgh game again, because i feel a little reflection on the game is making me feel like a lot of guys were trying to much to pull something off.

For instance Max tries to pull off the flashy move far to often, but what is that? is that a lack of respect for the team/opponent/game? or is it trying to hard?

I dont know the answer, just offering a different view point. But there seems to be a fair few people on here who seem to know players views, so maybe i'm dead wrong. I dunno, but i didnt see any player on sunday who i thought was Remple like in their play.

Don't know if anyone was there but a lot of Devils players were out drinking in the Hard Rock Cafe for the Superbowl on Sunday evening. It's a free country and all that, but if I was of them I'd be too ashamed to show my face in public after the performance I gave that day, let alone living it up in the bloody pub! :(

ASHIPP

sniper13 said:
Lets not tar all the players with the same brush there are certain players who work out every day (off season also, watch what they eat on especially on game days. Again it comes down to personal responsibility, i know guys on the team who are frustrated by the lack of commitment, the level of respect for the club and the fact that they are paid players who are playing the game they grew up loving and now get paid to do so.

Next season we need a Captain who leads the team in fitness and makes sure every team member has a passion for the club and in so works hard, a coach that commands respect and takes no crap and a team that has the hard work ethic we as fans of the Cardiff Devils demand
And I expect most of us know which responsible/committed players they are that you refer to.

Refering back to comments about our British youngsters earlier on, WITHOUT DOUBT the best hockey played on Sunday against the Capitals was a couple of shifts with Ben, Jamie and Alex on the ice together. Alex solid defending (with Hartwick), Jamie getting in position twice to score (one deflected, one overshot) and Ben just his usual gritty 1OOmile an hour dynamism. :cool: Well done guys, for commitment, effort and energy. Some of the more experienced team members could learn a few lessons.

ASHIPP

ASHIPP said:
sniper13 said:

And I expect most of us know which responsible/committed players they are that you refer to.

Refering back to comments about our British youngsters earlier on, WITHOUT DOUBT the best hockey played on Sunday against the Capitals was a couple of shifts with Ben, Jamie and Alex on the ice together. Alex solid defending (with Hartwick), Jamie getting in position twice to score (one deflected, one overshot) and Ben just his usual gritty 1OOmile an hour dynamism. :cool: Well done guys, for commitment, effort and energy. Some of the more experienced team members could learn a few lessons.
And as for more line changes, it's no wonder that Matt Towe said earlier this season that he felt he could be more consistent on a stable line - players on his line this season include Adams, Smith, Finnerty, Miller, Michel, Davies/Hayes. Surely players have more chance of 'clicking' if they get to know eachother's play really well. Blaze and Panthers, with the exception of injury, have made very few changes to their 3 lines all season. :cool:

James

Administrator
the match review on the Devils site says he got gme+match after the final whistle for telling Mr Hicks what he thought of the officiating.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately going by this thread?) I had to miss the game on Sunday, but posts here tend to agree with two names that keep cropping up for lack of effort / performance - Max and Smith :(

I'd happily see the young Brits take their place who put 110% in every shift

Gazza272 said:
I
For instance Max tries to pull off the flashy move far to often, but what is that? is that a lack of respect for the team/opponent/game? or is it trying to hard?
I noticed a few weeks ago (cant remember what game it was) max was skating into the attacking zone, ben went in to the centre looking for the pass but max decided not to take it and it lead to them both colliding and losing the momentum. I do sometimes feel max is to independent and doesn't trust/respect his team mates like you say.

Finny

DiafolsDiafols said:
Don't know if anyone was there but a lot of Devils players were out drinking in the Hard Rock Cafe for the Superbowl on Sunday evening. It's a free country and all that, but if I was of them I'd be too ashamed to show my face in public after the performance I gave that day, let alone living it up in the bloody pub! :(
This was an event arranged with the club - they were giving away vouchers for it in previous games. I would assume that the players had to go there - like they do with the Bowling Nights etc.

I for one would love to see Hayes, Davies and Towe leading the pack out on the first line for next Sunday's game. I doubt G would even consider it but what have we got to lose against Hull?

ASHIPP

IMHO, it looked like too many players trying to win the game on their own on Sunday, and not as a team. It's ok getting the puck into the offensive zone but if there is a much better positioned player with a good chance of scoring, why not pass it to them?
Just don't know what's happened to that composed, controlled, simple and effective team play of before Christmas. :x

Last time G had to don the skates regularly, it was to lift a demoralised team. It had the desired effect. We desperately need that again starting this Saturday (with Ryan out).....and bench an off form player on Sunday so that G can play instead. :twisted: