Devils v Panthers - Sat 7pm - Chat/Updates...

James

Administrator
Poor old coach Corey. What's he going to try and blame this time? All the Panthers players were excercising in the car park after the game. A bit late by then :) It was like watching Miracle

Well I never!! I really thought after the first 10 mins we were going to get slaughtered they were all over us. Then they started taking stupid penalties, just goes to show you cant win from the penalty box, four of our goals coming from the PP, and when was the last time we got a shorthanded goal?

It just seemed everything went out way tonight for a change, I hoped for a win but nothing like this, well done guys can't wait for the trip to Nottingham on Sunday

What a game ! The 1st 10 minutes i thought we were going to be on the receiving end of a big score,then the panthers started to take penalties we got the momentum and the game turned on its head ! It was like the players had swapped shirts ! Well played Devils :D

TheStub

What a performance. I think the changes Adams made were certainly apparent.

From what I saw (when we weren't on the powerplay :lol:) we had:

1st line Voth, Smith, Birbraer
2nd Hill, Jay, Michel
3rd Miller, Towe, Adams.

Like has been said, 10 minutes of getting used to the changes and suddenly we were flying. From the faceoff, it seemed that the Panthers were pushing, but after the first Panthers powerplay I thought we were in the driving seat. Did the Panthers even get a shot on goal in that?

The second period, I thought Smith let game get away from him - but the Panthers kept taking stupid pens, and it got worse for them once rattled.

In the third, we did well to maintain the lead. Classic defensive hockey, taking chances without over extending. They kept everything to the outside and made sure that Lyle could see everything. The Panthers were only taking the shots we wanted them to, and the form Lyle was in - if he saw it, he stopped it.

Lets hope that we can build on this performance.

I think we destroyed Panthers confidence tonight. it was a great game and we proved that we can beat the (so called) best in the league when we play our game.
I am just amazed that there are so few posts on here i am sure if we had lost 6 2 there would have been 6 pages by now not 6 posts !! well done G and the team keep it up.

Miller tonight was brilliant, him Lyle or Michel for my MOM.

First 10 minutes I thought Panthers were brilliant. Panthers were camped in the devils zone like we were on the PK. Panthers score a deserved goal. Then have a second washed out (other end of rink so couldn't see if man was in crease as called), Mcaslan went mad and had to be held back by the linos, still he kept trying to get to Smith, IMO he was lucky not to get a misconduct.

Game changed from then on, devils seem to hit panthers left right and centre who didnt seem to like it one bit and started taking silly pens. Michel fought someone who was being ragged around like a doll, not suure how many punches landed but seemed Michel was in control. Another panthers player went 3rd man in and was lucky not to get game.

Lyle kept us in the game in the first 10 minutes with some lovely stops, and StPierre made some nice saves too. Although seems easy to beat with one timers. Panthers D were awful tonight, for the 6th goal Garscon (sp) passed it to Max who slapped it passed Stpierre.

Ref was Smith and missed a lot for both teams. Devils were better team overall and deserved the 2 points, but Panthers look very good going forward.
MOM Lyle and Clarke. Clarkes goal was lovely, slapshot from the point, was a bullet. Bruce Richardson was lucky not to get 10 for his mouthing off.....god he doesn't know when to stop.

All in all I can't pick out any devils players who played badly really and IMO the best team performance of the year so far.

Lines were if I remember rightlly, 1st Miller Smith Max, 2nd Michel Hill and Latulippe, 3rd -Voth, Towe and G/Davies.

Voth didn't ice much after his goal and Towe was hit up high in the first - no call, and sat out the 1st period.

StPierre again hitting Miller? in the face with his blocker....gets 2 for roughing. Second game in Cardiff that he's used hit blocker to hit someone in the face. Something needs to be done about goalies doing this. Used to be game misconduct, now 2 for roughing?

Diafol

Tonight just showed what can happen when we keep our discipline and stay out of the penalty box.

An awesome performance. Well done guys.

Finny

Wow. What a game.

Panthers started the game brilliantly, outskating and outworking the Devils. Lyle had already made a couple of good saves before Mann shrugged off the challenge from Stone to skate out from the boards and fire past Lyle.

This continued with Lyle being the only one stopping the Panthers destroying us. After around 5 minutes they passed the puck across the crease, McAslan was waiting at the far post, it hit his skate and went in. Dean Smith immediately ruled the goal out for man in the crease. As Sammi said, McAslan went nuts and had to be restrained by the linesmen - it looked the correct call to me - he had to be in the crease for it to hit his skate to go in.

After this initial 5 minutes the Panthers should have been several goals ahead, but then the game changed on two incidents.

Firstly, the superb Tyler Michel nailed Dagleish into the boards. Dagliesh took exception to it and they both dropped the gloves, though I don't think many punches were thrown. Michel got an extra 2 minutes for elbows, though the replay suggested it was a harsh call.

The check did the trick though, as it woke up the Devils crowd that had been very quiet and shocked at how we were being over run. It also fired his teammates into action.

Devils killed the powerplay and grew in confidence. During this, Latulippe started winding Richardson up, mouthing off to him and generally being a nuisance. Eventually Richardson snapped and drew the penalty that Jay had been after. Levers then gave away a silly high-sticking penalty, and with the Devils having a 5-on-3 Mark Smith gave Jarvis the puck, and he skated in on goal and fired past the Panthers netminder for the equaliser.

The game had woken up and in the space of about 10 seconds saw 5 massive checks. One of which almost knocked out Towe (not sure who it was but it looked clean and superb) and led to the Panthers fans chanting "Show us the replay". I think they went on to regret that chant for the rest of the game....

Anyway, after Michel nails another player, Mann checks him back to the ice and then as Michel tries to get back up cross-checks him in the back. Right infront of Smith. Duh!

Another Devils powerplay, and when St Pierre can't hold Romfo's shot, Miller brilliantly dives and back-hands the midair puck into the net. 2-1 Devils and the game is shifting in favour of the Devils.

Panthers start the second period on the powerplay, but a mixup gifts Michel the puck, who skates in on St Pierre and shoots. It looks like the netminder has made the glove save, but the puck falls out of his catcher and trickles over the line.
Devils 3-1 Panthers.

St Pierre seems to be losing it and the Panthers are still in shock. With 26 minutes gone the Devils have a 2-on-1 break. Miller has the puck down the left wing, and looks up ready to pass it to his teammate. Doing so, he notices that St Pierre is already anticipating the pass and has left a gap on the near post the size of the Suez Canal. Miller shoots and scores the easiest goal he is every likely to score. Heck - I reckon I could have scored from my seat the gap was that big.

With the Devils in control the Panthers continue to take daft penalties and with only a minute left of the second give the Devils another 5-on-3 powerplay. Jarvis gets the puck to Smith in the slot, and his shot takes a deflection off Voth's stick and goes in off the crossbar.

Devils 5-1 Panthers.

I think to most people it looked like Smith scored, but he pointed to Voth straight away as the players went to him to celebrate, to give his teammate the credit. A sign that team morale must be excellent.

Devils started the third period on the remainder of the 5-on-4 powerplay and after another defensive mess gifted the puck to Birbraer in the zone, he fired it through yet another huuuuuuge gap on St Pierre's near post.

Devils 6-1 Panthers. Game won. Voth then didn't ice for the rest of the game and Smith also was allowed to rest up having just come back from injury. Hayes and Davies took their place, with Ben Davies once again showing why he is the best 10th forward in the league. He is so good at winning the puck in the corner and passing it out infront of the net - his teammates just need to learn to expect it.

The intensity of the game slowly died out and Panthers got a second on the powerplay thanks to an excellent one-time slapshot from Clarke.

Final Score Devils 6-2 Panthers.

For the Devils, Michel was excellent once again and Miller had his best game since the pre-season game against Coventry. Smithy and Birbraer looked to be getting back to their best whilst Latulippe was doing his job of winding up the opposition and putting them off their game.

As good as the Devils played, I do feel the scoreline flattered us a bit. Their were periods of play were the Panthers dominated and created lots of chances. IMO the difference between the teams was the netminders. St Pierre made several bad mistakes whilst Lyle was outstanding and a well deserved MOTM. He won us that game in the first period when the Panthers were all over us, and continued to make great saves throughout the game.

Ger-Devils

Great win, lots of gritty performances tonight and good to see us back to normal ways. Romfo at times is still a bit shaky when clearing the pick, the right up when he signed, I don't think helped and put pressure on him to PERFORM so to say!

Stupid penalties have cost us badly through the past few years so nice to see us staying out of the box and taking advantage of it. Miller was great, Michel keep doing what your doing as it's awesome and Lyle, you kept us in the game early on with them saves! Davies is a gutsy player and its great to see.

Crisp, keep training mate and hopefully see you in that net very soon. Top young lad who we had a chat with after the game tonight. That Rec game was going on a bit too long for my liking!

Funniest thing from tonights game was when Max hit one of the panthers players and then straight after got the puck. The panthers player went skating towards max and you could see his intention was to get revenge for the hit. Max obviously saw this too and made the panthers player look very silly by dekeing past him and making him fall over into the boards. :lol:

Awesome team performance everyone had a great game, nice to see Miller finally get going and Lyle impressed me for the first time this season. Michel had an awesome game, he has everything, skills, toughness, scoring ability, and passion for the team shown by throwing himself in front of shots and diving head first towards the puck which was in front of the panthers net as that was the only way he could reach it :D

I think G might have had a few words with some of our imports about their performance and it seems to have worked, I just hope they keep it up.

TheStub

What really impressed me was how well the D played for us.

For a fast team, the Panthers really looked de-clawed. We kept them where we wanted them, and let them the shots that Lyle could save. Testament to how well we controlled the game, and how much faith the D had in Lyle.