Devils v Trappers - 27/08 19:00 - Exhibition - Chat/Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

voth26

Re: Devils v Trappers - 27/08 19:00 - Exhibition - Chat/Upda

Electro said:
There seems to be a combination of inept management within both the IAW and the Devils. This is showing in the pre season attendance.

There is no doubt the management of the Devils understand hockey, how much of that extends into hockey in Wales and the U.K. I'm not so sure. Wales is not a rich region, it's struggling to get decent attendance in rugby.

If the Devils want to grow it has to offer better, for hockey fans watching a KHL game is a major achievement, but August, I've been away as its August and managed to watch one of the coaching sessions.

Had the Devils been a similar standard to Zagreb you could justify those prices, but having a pre season new team show up against a much high standard team was only going to be a loss for us. Maybe heavily discount or heavily advertise, better both.

The U.K. is not North America or Canada.

This years pre season has been a lesson. Let's hope all parties learn from it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great to see another one of your positive, supporting post of the things the club are trying to do NOT, Did they get everything right NO they didn't did they try YES they did. Are we in a better place with better owners than 2 yrs ago YES we are. Do our current owners care and want us to be successful YES they do.

osh

I agree that prices could - and should - have been lower for all the pre season friendlies, and perhaps this will be recognised when arranging similar standard ( hopefully ) next pre season.
One thing that is being overlooked by many is the fact that in recent years, many of the players have joined the club and met their fellow team mates just a few days before the start of the season ! Not ideal to be fair.
At least this pre season, the club have arranged for practically everyone to be here for many weeks, that should lead to the players gelling both on and off the ice. We will benefit from the players practising and playing competitive games for nearly 5 weeks before the first meaningfull fixture against the Storm, this is a luxury we've never had before and a huge plus to those who have organised pre season games.

Electro said:
There seems to be a combination of inept management within both the IAW and the Devils. This is showing in the pre season attendance.

There is no doubt the management of the Devils understand hockey, how much of that extends into hockey in Wales and the U.K. I'm not so sure. Wales is not a rich region, it's struggling to get decent attendance in rugby.

If the Devils want to grow it has to offer better, for hockey fans watching a KHL game is a major achievement, but August, I've been away as its August and managed to watch one of the coaching sessions.

Had the Devils been a similar standard to Zagreb you could justify those prices, but having a pre season new team show up against a much high standard team was only going to be a loss for us. Maybe heavily discount or heavily advertise, better both.
The U.K. is not North America or Canada.

This years pre season has been a lesson. Let's hope all parties learn from it.

Electro.................you really are an arse!! :cool:

Electro

I maybe an arse, but the facts are simple yet missed. Hence empty seats.

My issue is I don't care for exibition games. I appreciate the management bring in these teams but most look like they should be a blow out one way or the other. No one goes when we play Caps because it won't be as competetive as Panthers or Giants. If a game doesn't matter I can't get excited.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

davew

I have thoroughly enjoyed this series of games. I would be surprised if Todd et al expected high attendances (yes they have been poor), and that the point of bringing the team in earlier with tough opposition was purely to get the team match ready both in terms of fitness, systems and locker room gelling.

If we had clinched the league title we would have been playing games in european competition around this time anyway.

I hope that we continue with pre-seasons like this year, as I find playing coventry all the time boring as we play them too many times in all competitions as it is.

Electro

Maybe next yr we could get an NHL team to play a KHL team, that would bring a crowd.

Electro said:
Maybe next yr we could get an NHL team to play a KHL team, that would bring a crowd.

I'm sure it would. What is your point? I assume just to bait.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure the team and management had more than crowd numbers in mind when they put on these games. Yes of course they wanted as many fans as poss, but they knew pre-season is unpredictable, it's school holidays and it's a lot of games.
However,it also conditions the team well and prepared the team on and off the ice fir challenges of bringing other events and bigger teams to Cardiff. To some extent hosting the Challenge Cup, but more so, the CHL, they definately aim to be involved in that next year and it's not something we have experience of, or its easy to get experience of.
I'm not convinced the crowd numbers pre season will be a big concern. Similar numbers in a few weeks would be, but I'm not sure that's gojng to happen.

Devil94

So yesterday was the first game thus season I didn't see any of,all others have been there or webcast.

From comments I've seen it sounds like Asselin played well? Slow start which is understandable after a year out, but improving every game, could well turn in to a special player.

Seen lots of comments on Brine also, that he had a great game? What line was he on, and what did he do so well?

Lots of mentions for Batch also, great to see, hopefully he's taken his game to the next level, certainly a good start. Him and Louis could start a formidable partnership back there.

BostonBart22

Electro said:
Maybe next yr we could get an NHL team to play a KHL team, that would bring a crow
that would be great as long as we use your head as a puck, defo sellout then.. :lol:

Electro

Posts on here reflect what is lacking in both the Devils and the IAW. It's so much more than just a hockey game.

There is a new facility in town and as such it's promotion is crucial.

Yes bringing in pre season teams of quality helps with the team, a hell of a lot. It's also another opportunity to promote the sport and the IAW. It's an opportunity that frankly got wasted.

How many more Mega opportunities are going to be wasted.

Finny

Electro said:
Posts on here reflect what is lacking in both the Devils and the IAW. It's so much more than just a hockey game.

Yes bringing in pre season teams of quality helps with the team, a hell of a lot. It's also another opportunity to promote the sport and the IAW. It's an opportunity that frankly got wasted.

Without trying to sound rude, that's utter nonsense.

What mega opportunities did the club miss out on?
For fans of the KHL it certainly raised the profile of the club. Lots of tweets from them. Main article on their website. Job well done.

For potentially new fans in the area - do you really want them going to that game? We were always going to lose and there was very little chance of there being a decent atmosphere. Pre-season friendlies are arguably the worst games to introduce new fans to.

Your suggestion of a KHL v NHL game next season is beyond ludicrous. First of all, these are pre-season games to help the Cardiff Devils. This game would not help us in anyway.
Of course you're going to say it would raise the profile of IAW.
How on earth do you expect to attract an NHL and KHL team to a 3000 arena in South Wales? It would cost £millions to do so. Even by your standards that's a ridiculous idea.

The pre-season is for the players to get used to their new teammates and try out new systems. Ideally against opposition of a higher standard. Based on that then I think it's very hard to argue that this hasn't been the most successful pre-season in the history of the club.

Financially it might have been a big loss for the club, but I guess it's a good job we have owners who are willing to invest in the club like this so that it produces results further into the season.

voth26

Electro said:

With respect you seem very critical of everything the Devils and the owners try to do, you have criticized the new arena, Lordo as a coach, the fans, so it seems to me you clearly know better than the experts. So I'm calling you out I want you to produce a 3 year business plan that is workable, sustainable and achievable, if you cant or wont produce this then once and for all shut the hell up, I don't know about other people on here but judging by the reactions to your post I'm guessing like me their fed up of the negative posts you write.

pjj365

Finny said:
Electro said:

Without trying to sound rude, that's utter nonsense.

What mega opportunities did the club miss out on?
For fans of the KHL it certainly raised the profile of the club. Lots of tweets from them. Main article on their website. Job well done.

For potentially new fans in the area - do you really want them going to that game? We were always going to lose and there was very little chance of there being a decent atmosphere. Pre-season friendlies are arguably the worst games to introduce new fans to.

Your suggestion of a KHL v NHL game next season is beyond ludicrous. First of all, these are pre-season games to help the Cardiff Devils. This game would not help us in anyway.
Of course you're going to say it would raise the profile of IAW.
How on earth do you expect to attract an NHL and KHL team to a 3000 arena in South Wales? It would cost £millions to do so. Even by your standards that's a ridiculous idea.

The pre-season is for the players to get used to their new teammates and try out new systems. Ideally against opposition of a higher standard. Based on that then I think it's very hard to argue that this hasn't been the most successful pre-season in the history of the club.

Financially it might have been a big loss for the club, but I guess it's a good job we have owners who are willing to invest in the club like this so that it produces results further into the season.
So, we stage a KHL NHL exhibition

Are there really that many pure hockey fans in South Wales - let alone Cardiff. If there were I would suggest we would have had a better attendance

Also poor attendance could be because a number of people (maybe quite a few) are Devils fans and not hockey fans in the wider sense. A couple of my friends - season ticket holders - were just not interested in these non competative games

pjj365

voth26 said:
Electro said:

With respect you seem very critical of everything the Devils and the owners try to do, you have criticized the new arena, Lordo as a coach, the fans, so it seems to me you clearly know better than the experts. So I'm calling you out I want you to produce a 3 year business plan that is workable, sustainable and achievable, if you cant or wont produce this then once and for all shut the hell up, I don't know about other people on here but judging by the reactions to your post I'm guessing like me their fed up of the negative posts you write.

+1

august04

The crowd seemed a little bigger last night and I'm sure will increase next week too against Coventry. Then I have no doubt we'll be at 2,500 plus for the first real weekend against Braehead. It's holiday time, a lot of people are away. It"s also a very expensive time for families with the kids off school and the pre-season games needed to be priced more appropriately given all this. That still might not have made much difference at this time of year though. I've missed one of the games so far but I have to say, it just doesn't feel like hockey time yet! That will change in a couple of weeks I'm sure. That said, the club do need to step up their advertising/marketing as we approach the start of the season proper and certainly make better use of the website for promoting forthcoming games.

ASHIPP

Fantastic pre-season prep for our team and a treat for hockey fans to see different styles of hockey, and teams of the quality and standard of top leagues.
The Club pulled off a massive coup particularly securing visits from Zagreb and Banska. I certainly hope this will become a regular pre-season routine. The team have had a wonderful opportunity. The fact that the Cardiff Devils made the homepage of the KHL official website is a tremendous achievement exposing the brand and our league.

Unfortunately for the Club, the timing of events hasn't helped....peak holiday time for Brits and Great British Bank holiday always guarantees that many people will be away or doing other things. The return to school soon also means many families will be spending on that.

The clubs that have experienced bigger crowds have been those that have offered a range of deals on tickets (Giants) or reduced the price of single game tickets (Steelers).
Media satuation through Twitter, website, local press in the case of Steelers also helped massivly - the games against Aalborg virtually sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.