Devils Vs Blaze - CC - 1st Oct 22

kristian

Thought the referees had an excellent game last night which was brilliant to see following the past couple of weeks. My one gripe however was the amount of time it took for them to blow the whistle whilst Sanford was crawling to the bench.
What happened to him missed it.
The way he came off throught he was done the night at least

Slartibartfast

What a great game to watch. I think people underestimate Coventry. They are top of the league for a reason. They are a very skilled fast team with a ferocious forecheck.
Were we perfect? No. Early in the game passes were going astray, players left unmarked and it looked like it was going to be another shit show. Then 2 things happened. 1. Coughler scored a sublime goal. 2. We started CHECKING. The only way to play a team like Coventry especially when they have players like Yellowhorn is to play physical. What a difference it made. Their defence coughed up a lot of pucks due to checks which led to lot of scoring opportunities which is why we outshot them 40 -25. If we were a bit sharper around the net it could have been 6-2 but their goalie played another blinder.
We also needed a big game from Bowns and we got it. I sit behind the net and some of the saves he made were amazing.
Once again Brandt led the way in physicality and work ethic closely followed by Cox but it wasn't all checking, we showed the high skill level that this team has.
If we can bottle what we had in that game and make the players drink it every game we will be league contenders. Lets hope this is the turning point.

Hedd Wyn John

What happened to him missed it.
The way he came off throught he was done the night at least
It was probably cramp that said the refs weren't that good imo. I remember we were on the PP and Blaze carried out a blatant trip, it was so blatant it like someone chopping down a tree (I forget who the player was) - that should have been an easy call for a 2 min penalty and the refs allowed it on. As it happens we won the game so that missed call didn't matter but Blaze were under the cosh, Devils were already on a PP so not calling that potentially changed the game.

Swarley

Thought the referees had an excellent game last night which was brilliant to see following the past couple of weeks. My one gripe however was the amount of time it took for them to blow the whistle whilst Sanford was crawling to the bench.
The refs last night weren't any better in my eyes, the penalty on Lou for kneeing when it was a obvious shoulder to shoulder hit, Sanford struggling to get off the ice, jumping in way to soon and not letting the teams sort out things in true hockey style our leagues officals are an absolute joke

Hedd Wyn John

The refs last night weren't any better in my eyes, the penalty on Lou for kneeing when it was a obvious shoulder to shoulder hit, Sanford struggling to get off the ice, jumping in way to soon and not letting the teams sort out things in true hockey style our leagues officals are an absolute joke
I forgot the Lou call happened. Skating off to the bench he was mystified lol

Again another dodgy call against the Devios

Pembo

Maybe he is carrying an injury like Louis was
Felt
I was initially pleased to see a female official as a dad of girls, but as game went on I had increasing concern about the risk of a lighter smaller official having to potentially try to intervene if a couple of 6ft something guys are fighting/melee. Not sure mens hockey is quite the same as other sports from perspective of increased need for officials having to physically intervene. Officiating otherwise didn’t stand out as especially bad compared to EIHL norm from when I was sitting. Overall we came out of game entertained which is progress. First Devils win I’ve been to this season and was awesome to see more sensible physicality. Brandt, Cox and Coughler are so important to the club and entertaining to watch .

Swarley

Felt

I was initially pleased to see a female official as a dad of girls, but as game went on I had increasing concern about the risk of a lighter smaller official having to potentially try to intervene if a couple of 6ft something guys are fighting/melee. Not sure mens hockey is quite the same as other sports from perspective of increased need for officials having to physically intervene. Officiating otherwise didn’t stand out as especially bad compared to EIHL norm from when I was sitting. Overall we came out of game entertained which is progress. First Devils win I’ve been to this season and was awesome to see more sensible physicality. Brandt, Cox and Coughler are so important to the club and entertaining to watch .
Honestly the female ref last night was probably the only one that had the respect of the players and didn't make as many dopey calls, she wasn't perfect by any means but when she got between players they respected her enough to stop any sort of rough stuff, I'd take 4 female officals over the egotistical males who wear the stripes any day of the week

moggy#9

Honestly the female ref last night was probably the only one that had the respect of the players and didn't make as many dopey calls, she wasn't perfect by any means but when she got between players they respected her enough to stop any sort of rough stuff, I'd take 4 female officals over the egotistical males who wear the stripes any day of the week
I didn't see last night's game, so I can't judge specific performances, but regardless of their abilities, female officials (and those in other roles) have a hill to climb simply due to attitudes. If what's happened in Glasgow has taught us anything, it's that archaic attitudes still exist in some quarters, but that the wider community is willing to call them out.

Pembo

I didn't see last night's game, so I can't judge specific performances, but regardless of their abilities, female officials (and those in other roles) have a hill to climb simply due to attitudes. If what's happened in Glasgow has taught us anything, it's that archaic attitudes still exist in some quarters, but that the wider community is willing to call them out.
Yeah definitely not a problem with the female lino, she was rock solid all game. My concern is with very small officials how safely they are able to potentially separate a violent melee. Seeing from perspective of a medic rather than trying to be misogynistic I promise. I equally have concerns about overweight, visibly out of condition refs as it’s harder for them to keep up with play and intervene quickly if there’s trouble. They are more at risk of injuries sustained during play when having to evade.
In reality we only have a small pool of officials so guess league can’t be too picky I guess a bit like Police relaxing previous physical elements in recruitment.
Small pool probably also a reason why they don’t bin consistently poor refs. Is Hogarth still reffing?

Rempel16

That’s just following the rules isn’t it?

Unless it’s life threatening then I believe the referee should only blow the whistle when the injured team take possession of the puck, which is exactly what they did.