Devils Vs Blaze - CC - 29th Oct 22 - 19:00 FO

Swarley

Well that was another 20 mins performance by a 20 min team, this has been going on for weeks now, if Blaze had converted that one that hit the crossbar, it would have been 3-0 and probably good night Vienna. Our D is very poor, our physicality sucks, and entertainment value is okay for 20 mins per game, and the other 40 mins is pretty crummy. Myself I can’t see much changing, this is the team we have, this is the coach we have, and so it looks like it’s going to be the same old gags from week to week unfortunately.
Our physicality only seems to come from the smaller players, we all know Lou will throw a big hit but where are the other d men at? Why ain't they following suit, Brittian I feel is either hold off until it counts massively and will unleash this big cat we are all dying to see or we got conned into signing him because he hasn't put a single big hit out this season yet, Batch I'm firmly under the impression he's doing the bare minimum to make sure he don't mess his hair up *I'm bald so I might just be jealous of his locks* but I am honestly stumped as to why he's not the batch I've seen countless videos of, he was a monster in previous seasons and pair that batch with Louis and that's a set up that would sacre the absolute crap out of anyone on the rush the one d man I won't put blame on though is Richie because its not his play style but the rest of the d core needs to figure things out and start putting teams on notice.

The goalies I believe there is now genuine competition between the two for starting games and I am all for that it'll bring the best out of both of them.

Our forwards though has me worried, all that scoring capability but our lines just don't seem to click, our power play absolutely scares me because its one of the weakest power plays we've had, too much passing in my opinion and not enough one timers with a big body screening the goalie, get them rebounds and get shoveling that puck in, I sat and timed one of our pp and in the entire 2 minutes we spent 1:45 cycling the puck and then we lost it and went back on the chase.

Dupont is under incredible pressure as a head coach and I feel like he knows he's bit off more than he can chew but I do have faith he will find his feet but I do think he needs an experienced coach to come in and just nudge him into gear.

Once that clicks he will run a muck in the league

BostonBart22

I wonder if we signed this 2nd coach in July as stated by the club, could we have got fournier instead using the assistant coaches wages ..just a thought, and franny been on the bench helping out still, I just feel the assistant coaches wages could've been used on either fournier or another top quality player .

drainage

Been on the fence for the last few games but we need to get rid of Dupoint. Tonights win will paper over the cracks but the first 2 periods tonight were beyond dire. We’re going nowhere with this current set up.

We don’t seem to have a plan, our power play is toothless and so many players look void of any confidence. PP in the 3rd with 25 seconds left, why not call a TO and draw up a plan? We’re leaking goals but he hasn’t changed the D round once.
We had already used it maybe is the reason ?

E.D.S.

Totally agree regarding Coughler immense tonight.
He just puts a shift in game after game. 100%. Him and Brandt are role models for this team. I do wonder how much this might detract from his scoring though but what a player.
I'd also like him to put his pitching wedge away once in a while and take out the 5 iron every now and then....so many of his shots are looking for the top shelf which usually go wildly over.

Gazr76

Besides the turn overs, no look passes, which ended up on the opposing teams twigs a number of times when the play was deep in the Devils defensive zone, I just didn't get the decision making last night. It was just bizarre. Coventry did and amazing job on the foredeck, it was a master class. I take my hat off to them. But this isnt the CHL. The Devils still had enough time to make basic, safe plays to cycle the puck away from danger. It kept happening. All night. Super frustrating to watch.
Plus a number of players are trying to be too fancy right now. The skill level (and perhaps mistakes in communication) just isn't there right now to support those types of plays.

Gazr76

I wonder if we signed this 2nd coach in July as stated by the club, could we have got fournier instead using the assistant coaches wages ..just a thought, and franny been on the bench helping out still, I just feel the assistant coaches wages could've been used on either fournier or another top quality player .
Agreed. I said this sometime ago.

Fully understand it’s a gruelling schedule, and some guys will possibly be carrying injuries, but those that are fit enough to ice appear to be lacking confidence in the complexity of the style of play DuPont wants. If that is the issue, then wouldn’t it make sense to step back a little to the systems players are comfortable with - regroup, get comfortable with Plan A and then seek to build complexity to the systems I.e. Plan B

The Devils PP is so predictable, pass round the top of the umbrella and then shoot from Ovi’s office (last hand face off circle). Some of the best goals the Devils score are the slick tic-tac-toe set ups. We know they are capable of it, but seem reluctant to try it.

The Devils appear to really struggle with teams that come to Cardiff and operate a very hard forecheck - Belfast, Sheffield, Guildford, Coventry have all operated a hard aggressive forecheck, and due to inability of the Devils to break out effectively, the Devils have conceded more than they should.

There are places for drop passes - the defensive zone is NOT one of them, especially when your team is lacking confidence. The Devils were very lucky not to get punished from basic completely avoidable mistakes

With these issues evidently apparent to fans, One does wonder at times what messrs DuPont, Horn and Francis are watching. I get players will make mistakes but it’s when nothing is learned from those mistakes is what baffles most fans - it’s the sort of plan General Melchett (from Blackadder 4) would come up with.

Delighted that they fought to get the W in a must win game - shows grit and determination. Hopefully the kickstart for the rest of the season.

I’m pretty sure Franny has said he couldn’t put the time into the coaching side as he has previously. He definitely can’t do practice so evenings only?
Then I read that DuPont is out of his depth.
Now he should have gone the season without an assistant while Keefe has two.
Give the guy a break

lloyd_jeff

I’m pretty sure Franny has said he couldn’t put the time into the coaching side as he has previously. He definitely can’t do practice so evenings only?
Then I read that DuPont is out of his depth.
Now he should have gone the season without an assistant while Keefe has two.
Give the guy a break
Then someone needs to remove him from the bench. He can’t commit for very understandable reason & a l love Franny & everything he’s done, total legend. This is a profesional sports club, business so buy him a nice Rolex, thank him and move on, this shouldn’t be a retirement club.

Diablo3

To those saying DuPont should go... Are you just closet football fans wanting instant success or you're out ? Let's be sensible for a few minutes. It's his first season, it's not exactly his team yet. He deserves our support. I for one think over time he is going to be one of the best coaches in the EIHL.

august04 2.0

To those saying DuPont should go... Are you just closet football fans wanting instant success or you're out ? Let's be sensible for a few minutes. It's his first season, it's not exactly his team yet. He deserves our support. I for one think over time he is going to be one of the best coaches in the EIHL.
I hope he does but what evidence do we have for that?! Not his work ethic as a player in his time here, that’s for sure.

Pembo

Exciting game, Blaze let us off the hook in final 3rd and we got rub of green on a couple of key calls. Blaze’s game management was poor with silly penalties putting us on PP. Game highlighted to me how much our PP is struggling. I didn’t feel we looked much more dangerous with the extra body than when 5on5. Came away entertained but not massively reassured. Loved Todd’s pregame Q&A. He doesn’t hold back and clearly isn’t happy to allow intensity to drop/make excuses.