Devils Vs Blaze - CC - 29th Oct 22 - 19:00 FO

kettdevil1

I’m pretty sure Franny has said he couldn’t put the time into the coaching side as he has previously. He definitely can’t do practice so evenings only?
Then I read that DuPont is out of his depth.
Now he should have gone the season without an assistant while Keefe has two.
Give the guy a break
Yep, precisely. He is going to make mistakes but seriously, I am not sure what people expect. There have been some superb vignettes where he has turned a game through a subtle change which has been a joy to watch. Bar one Guildford game and one Sheffield game, I can't remember any games where he has been outcoached (as opposed to us losing to a side who should have beaten us.)

We are not operating as a 60 minute club yet, which is frustrating and there are still some balance of lines which need to fixed but.... given it's October I am bewildered by some comments.

Anyhoo..... we can expect a major backlash this afternoon from a wounded Panthers side

lloyd_jeff

I’m not calling for Dupont to go, what I’m saying is having a part time Franny & next to useless Assistant is a waste of resources and brings nothing for Dupont. If I’m wrong then sometime soon the team will turn up & play there balls off for 60 minutes a game, even if we don’t win, at least it’ll look like we do, the majority here can stop moaning.

Finny

I’m not calling for Dupont to go, what I’m saying is having a part time Franny & next to useless Assistant is a waste of resources and brings nothing for Dupont. If I’m wrong then sometime soon the team will turn up & play there balls off for 60 minutes a game, even if we don’t win, at least it’ll look like we do, the majority here can stop moaning.
What makes you think the Assistant Coach is next to useless?

Finny

Bit surprised at the negativity on this thread after what I thought was a very entertaining game.

Yes we were poor during the first period but we should give credit to Coventry who fore-checked very well. Last 2-3 mins of the first though we started to get some decent possession and carried it into the second. We lacked a cutting edge though until with a fraction of a second left we got that vital goal. And it was definitely within time.
Thought we were dominant for much of the 3rd. Our PP does need work though. as that seemed to be when Coventry were at their most dangerous.

Overall an entertaining game with the right result.

osh

Went for first time in a long time last night. Have to say I think the standard of play has dropped significantly ( both sides ) since going on a regular basis a few years ago. Yes we won thankfully but not impressed whatsoever with this current line up. Either we are carrying a lot of players with injuries and therefore seem to avoid any real body contact hits or they are playing to orders that just doesn‘t seem to work. spoke to a few friends who are season ticket holders and they seemed pleased - more relieved I’d say - with how the team snuck the win in OT. Based on what I saw last night, I wouldn’t put any money on us winning anything this season. Lack of passion, hits, on ice leadership is not the Devils way and we look like we are carrying a fair few poor imports.

TL91

What statement ? those are your words, not mine. Maybe let’s leave last night and look towards the current game for improvements.
Your statement said to watch last night’s game replay, which is the full game right? And to get all the insight I need. So what am I looking for then?

Finny

Who cares? Does it really matter?
I‘m all for honest debate but this idiot just kills the forum with their trolling.
It’s the same story each time. Start slowly, then after a month or two they flood the forum with inflammatory comments without anything to back it up. If you ask them to expand you get the “watch last nights game” comment.

Sad and pathetic.

august04 2.0

I‘m all for honest debate but this idiot just kills the forum with their trolling.
It’s the same story each time. Start slowly, then after a month or two they flood the forum with inflammatory comments without anything to back it up. If you ask them to expand you get the “watch last nights game” comment.

Sad and pathetic.
Ignore it/them you don’t like it. I didn’t realise you were a forum moderator.
You've derailed many threads over the years, so don't preach.

E.D.S.

Any significant improvements brought by having the assistant coach, remember his CV.
It's a fair challenge. What improvements have we seen since the new assistant coach arrive? May be it's an unfair question as it could be too soon and the changes will be behind the scenes and out of view from us but i would expect to see those changes filtering their way through to the on ice product. A powerplay that's lacking ideas, an inability to transition effectively from our zone in to the oppositions, our inability to retain and cycle the puck, the lack of real goal scoring opportunities.... they are the things I'd be expecting to see improve. Above all else, an identity. We don't appear to have one. So I don't think it's an unreasonable challenge to ask 'what's the additional value that the assistant coach has brought?'.

TL91

The thing is he’s come in late…ideal scenario is he is here for the start of pre-season. Same in any sport. Results haven’t been awful since he’s been in and it’s maybe a bit broke don’t fix it kind of thing and also how far DuPont wants to go with the new coach’s ideas based on how far we are into the season. Also having games coming every few days it’s hard to spend time on new systems whilst also getting prepared for the opposition too.

ASHIPP

What is concerning is the coaching team is learning and trying to earn their coaching stripes together. Dupont has had 1 season as assistant coach prior to this, the additional guy has had none and is brand new to British ice hockey.:eek:

Even in the early years of our New Ownership, Andrew Lord, as a rookie coach, had the benefit/experience of Neil Francis and Jamie Elson on the bench and in training....Elson, btw, having coached at every junior level, including Team GB.
Jeff Mason had years of assistant coaching alongside an experienced coach, Adam Keefe in Belfast before taking on the Head Coach role at Dundee.

Last edited:

The_Stick_

Adam Keefe only had 1 season of coaching experience under his belt before taking the reins at Belfast. He finished 5th in his first full season. I’m not saying that this is what we should expect out of DuPont, but he clearly has the ability to be a great coach otherwise we would not of given him the job permanent

Kevin roog

The q and a lasted approx 30 mins, questions about Britain,he could be back next week,a bit about 2 way players,a question about hosting conti cup final if we get through,Todd said its a possibilty,and on the goalies he said neither has grabbed the starting position as yet