Devils Vs Flames - League - 18th Feb 23 - 19:00 FO

august04 2.0

Where to start on that performance...

The team, prior to Fournier coming in, needed a change or two if they were to sustain any form of title challenge. Fournier brought a different dimension and it was blindingly obvious that once he left we'd need to fill that gap. I'm dismayed that we didn't make a signing before the deadline of someone in a similar mould.

The team played a foot taller with him in the line-up. Tonight, we got bullied all over the ice, and had no response to it. There's no fight in this team.

Aside from Martin, only the 4th line deserve any credit.

The second and third lines were completely shut down all night and every one of them looked like they'd rather be anywhere else.

All credit to the Flames, they used their sticks and any parts of their bodies / skates to ensure that they got something on our shots, they committed to protecting McAdam all night and made his job relatively simple.

I personally don't think Dupont is the issue. Half of the team are letting him down badly with lacklustre effort, going through the motions. So infuriating.... They're clearly sticking two fingers up to fans spending hard-earned money and precious time to watch them.
Agreed with everything you said until the DuPont comment. If the players aren't playing for him, and they clearly aren’t - then he’s a big part of the problem. Mind you, there’s some garbage players in this team who shouldn’t be anywhere near the Devils roster.

Diablo3

Well that was the first time I have sat in IAW with half the game gone and thought we are leagues behind the team we are playing. Guildford were stronger, faster and way more accurate with their passing. anytime we got in to the O zone there were bodies or sticks in. the way. Totally despondent tonight, we just had no clue what to do with them.

august04 2.0

Well that was the first time I have sat in IAW with half the game gone and thought we are leagues behind the team we are playing. Guildford were stronger, faster and way more accurate with their passing. anytime we got in to the O zone there were bodies or sticks in. the way. Totally despondent tonight, we just had no clue what to do with them.
Spot on.

Rempel16

Agreed with everything you said until the DuPont comment. If the players aren't playing for him, and they clearly aren’t - then he’s a big part of the problem. Mind you, there’s some garbage players in this team who shouldn’t be anywhere near the Devils roster.
Completely appreciate that my opinion on him is somewhat different, I just feel that he hasn't been given the tools to do the job. Some of the team really need to look at themselves and ask them if they can honestly say they've laid it all on the line.

This season is on those that put Dupont in a position that was clearly going to be a huge step up for a rookie coach and not given him the team that would deliver.

jenks33

You clearly didn’t go to Devils 1-8 Belfast in 2018 when Kyle Baun tore us a new a***hole. Now that was humbling

Completely appreciate that my opinion on him is somewhat different, I just feel that he hasn't been given the tools to do the job. Some of the team really need to look at themselves and ask them if they can honestly say they've laid it all on the line.

This season is on those that put Dupont in a position that was clearly going to be a huge step up for a rookie coach and not given him the team that would deliver.
I think he’s probably regretting it. He could’ve got a nice coaching gig in Europe working under an established HC. Learnt his trade and slowly progress up the ranks.

We were looking for Andrew Lord 2.0 in Dupoint. When in reality having Andrew Lord as a HC so young was like catching lightening in a bottle. The devils just happened to be in the right place, at the right time to do it.

MA18

I thought we dumped ourselves out of the league a couple of weeks back but we certainly did that tonight.
Completely shit the bed and couldn’t get anywhere near a side that played harder and with more passion from the start.

If we perform like that at home, on a Saturday in such an important game we down deserve to be anywhere near a league cup.

We’re at that odd end of the season for me now, cup is gone, league has gone and we know we’re in the playoffs so games just become a a formality. Still costs me £40 a night in tickets, 50 mile round trip and the time to watch lads that don’t appear to even want a contract next year.

I think a few know the writing in on the wall and they won’t be back next year - I think we should say goodbye to more but Batch, Lou, Penny, Reid, Crandall, Brittain - I’d also burn Crawford & Thompson but I think the devils back them. DuPont goes and takes the empty suit next to him with him.

I don’t think he was the be all and end all but letting a determined winner like Mac go and bringing a poor Bowns back showed what was important to the organisation and it massively backfired.

Hopefully the players put a better shift in for the kids take over next week.

Devils86

No positives to take from that. Waited 2 weeks for Devils hockey and was a car crash, a waste of time. One thing: if Bowns had been in net and let in those goals that place would have been toxic. You can't win titles with inconsistent NMs.

I try not to be rash but the way I'm feeling now I can't be bothered to turn up to watch players who aren't bothered. I've got my ST but genuinely not sure if I'll use it again. It's not an off night, it's yet another example of lack of ability and lack of effort.

I've seen us outclassed by very very good hockey sides before and that's not my issue. We just lack on all fronts. TK will know this isn't good enough. DuPont got the job because he won the playoffs, he wasn't a long term plan or anything.

He'll be gone in the summer, as will the two or three quality players we've got that could play in better leagues. I do think the side has potential but they are being mismanaged and miscoached.

Typically this roster will go and batter Stars now. Like if they had won tonight they would have given it up away. It's like that group of players we used to have, that understood the league was the big deal, that there are no easy games and no nights off....

We've lost that. Instead we've become the Panthers. Inconsistent.

I wouldn’t say tonight was boring. Guildford are a good team, they play the game in the right way and were better than us in every department. They were well worth their win and played fast, physical and direct hockey.
You know, like the sort of stuff the Devils used to play!
And as for the rest of the season,……….please just let it be over!

Last edited:

jenks33

I thought we dumped ourselves out of the league a couple of weeks back but we certainly did that tonight.
Completely shit the bed and couldn’t get anywhere near a side that played harder and with more passion from the start.

If we perform like that at home, on a Saturday in such an important game we down deserve to be anywhere near a league cup.

We’re at that odd end of the season for me now, cup is gone, league has gone and we know we’re in the playoffs so games just become a a formality. Still costs me £40 a night in tickets, 50 mile round trip and the time to watch lads that don’t appear to even want a contract next year.

I think a few know the writing in on the wall and they won’t be back next year - I think we should say goodbye to more but Batch, Lou, Penny, Reid, Crandall, Brittain - I’d also burn Crawford & Thompson but I think the devils back them. DuPont goes and takes the empty suit next to him with him.

I don’t think he was the be all and end all but letting a determined winner like Mac go and bringing a poor Bowns back showed what was important to the organisation and it massively backfired.

I think we might keep Batch and Crawford but can’t argue with the rest.

Wannabe2

Spot on we have conceeded 24 more goals than Sheffield, bloody 24 more, we have one D Man Ritchie, the rest can take a hike. It’s beyond a joke now.

august04 2.0

This just pisses me off. How can you say they had more of a jump. You’re at home with 3000plus hardcore devils fans. They shouldn’t really need much of a kick. Just shows what they really think of us devils fans waisting our time on this tedious, monotonous bull
And my season ticket is another £530 next year. They really must think we're mugs. I suppose we are to keep paying it, when this dirge is being served up! Not for me next year.