Devils Vs Giants - League - 10th Dec 22 - 19:00 FO

E.D.S.

Batch was a yard from the incident and didn't want to know, he was very poor tonight , gave up a lot of turnovers as well. Maybe it's his swansong season with the devils after his testimonial and just playing the season out just saying
It’s difficult though… being so short on bodies. Could we have afforded to lose another man? Then again, even with a full strength team I’m not 100% certain we’d have done anything anyway. It doesn’t seem to be our style. I still think it would have been worth making him accountable. I just don’t like that kind of play.

Samael

Batch was a yard from the incident and didn't want to know, he was very poor tonight , gave up a lot of turnovers as well. Maybe it's his swansong season with the devils after his testimonial and just playing the season out just saying
His swansong was last year. It would appear all he's interested in these days is posing for club merch photographs and his upcoming career in financial services. I'm sure he'd probably make a few quid on onlyfans or instasham too if he Isn't already.

He's given the club his best years and we have looked after him, but if he's lost interest in playing he should have already retired.

Batch was actually trying to reach into the net to grab at Bast. He was then grabbed by Cooper so couldn’t have done anything.
I don’t think he would have ragged him even if he was able to get his hands on him, as we know he doesn’t want to get involved in that side of things anymore, but to say he was a yard away and didn’t want to know is off the mark

Finny

Entertaining game which was played with an edge that all Cardiff v Belfast games seem to.

For the opening 16-17 minutes I thought we were very poor and Belfast looked very well drilled. They kept us penned into our zone for long periods, we couldn’t clear the zone and Bowns had to be at his very, very best. We did create play a bit better in the closing minutes but ultimately fortunate to end the first period 0-0

Second period we came out a completely different team. We put lots of pressure on them and forced them into a series of penalties. Keefe can bitch and moan about it all he wants but when your main tactic is interference then you’re eventually going to come up against referees who are going to call it. I guess you could argue that his childish outburst partially worked as they then let a couple of obvious calls go, but we can’t everything our own way.

Equalising goal was frustrating as we seemed to lose concentration briefly and they made us pay. Overall though we were the better side in that second period and deserved to lead 2-1.
Third started much the same as the second. Good Devils pressure leading to Belfast mistakes. Sanford continuing his hot streak with his second of the night for a 3-1 lead.

Belfast threw everything at us and the officials in the last ten. Some worked, some backfired, but when they pulled Whistle for the 6on4 despite some huge Bowns saves they got a goal back. Not sure if it went in via stick or skate but it looked more luck than intended.

Cue a frenetic last two minutes, but after a couple of long range shots at the empty net had slid wide, the puck finally got to Sanford and he skated away to complete his hat-trick.
Lots of encouragement signs from the increasingly short-benched team. Still things to work on, particularly clearing the zone.
PP is getting better. Once we gain the zone we look dangerous but a couple of players still seem desperate to make a drop pass when not needed. Belfast clearly identified it as a situation to exploit and when we just skated it in I’m sure I saw several of their players annoyed!!!

E.D.S.

Attending one? Lol.

Fan for the last 20 years.

Travelled all over to watch devils.

Playoffs every year.

Not that needs explaining.
Only 20 years. Yeah of course.
You quote stats, offer little insight and say the things that anyone would say that wasn't there. "+22 for Crawford". He's on our powerplay!

Actually watching a game would show that it's turnover after turnover, poor passes out of zone and unnecessary icing that invites pressure and defensively weak as proven when Giants were shorthanded.

Hockeymad

You quote stats, offer little insight and say the things that anyone would say that wasn't there. "+22 for Crawford". He's on our powerplay!

Actually watching a game would show that it's turnover after turnover, poor passes out of zone and unnecessary icing that invites pressure and defensively weak as proven when Giants were shorthanded.
My first game was back in the wnir.

my first trophy I seen us win was when regan stringer scored a penalty shot.

i remeber paying money to watch Phil manny Jonathan Philips Phil Hill Ashley tait Jason Stone.

My favourite play back then was russ romaniuk.

I also remember protesting in Nottingham I believe to stop John Lewis taking over and leaving cardiff without a rink.

Also queuing at the bbt for an hour and a half for us to be turned away because the ice wasn't ready. If I remember correct against Newcastle vipers.

I was there when denis maxwell left us and signed for London. We had rob Davison from the nhl and they had a good scrap.

Please don't say go watch a game.

You know nothing.

E.D.S.

My first game was back in the wnir.

my first trophy I seen us win was when regan stringer scored a penalty shot.

i remeber paying money to watch Phil manny Jonathan Philips Phil Hill Ashley tait Jason Stone.

My favourite play back then was russ romaniuk.

I also remember protesting in Nottingham I believe to stop John Lewis taking over and leaving cardiff without a rink.

Also queuing at the bbt for an hour and a half for us to be turned away because the ice wasn't ready. If I remember correct against Newcastle vipers.

I was there when denis maxwell left us and signed for London. We had rob Davison from the nhl and they had a good scrap.

Please don't say go watch a game.

You know nothing.
Go watch a game

MA18

I didn’t attend the Q&A but always think Todd and the club try to do the right thing by fronting up. The summary of the responses appears fair.
You can tell from his tone during games that Todd hasn’t enjoyed plenty of performances and results in the same way that fans haven’t.

Enjoyed last nights game. Pretty tense, on a knife edge and wasn’t the result we were expecting.

We definitely missed the mass of big Lou on the ice and Coughler coming back would be a huge help. I’m not sure with the form he’s in at the moment Reid was really missed - I don’t think we’ve had value there this season.

While the Giants played in their normal manor, pushing the boundaries of interference and throwing their weight around you could tell they aren’t as clinical as previous seasons. Them not scoring in that opening period was a bit of a surprise.

Officials were awful. Missing serval stone wall penalties for high sticks and head heads. Jardine going out changed the game - going down to four 4 and not being able to take penalty minutes put us what felt like a 10 min PK icing the puck just to get it away from the net.

Bowns played his game of the season - 40 saves. Can forgive the 6 on 5 goal but the short handed goal was one he’ll want back.

All in all an enjoyable night. Giants fans a lot more palatable than Steelers, unexpected result and even though a few Christmas parties in no issues with drunks and hospitality hangers on in our block.

Devil94

The +- metric only counts even-strength goals. So powerplay doesn't count.
Crawford has the best +- in the league, now at +24 after last night.
You can find the odd match where perhaps the +- stat doesn't give the whole story, but there's no arguing with +24 after 21 games. It shows that he's often on the ice when we score and also we don't concede much when he is. For me he's been a great pick up, still young with a physical edge, hopefully he will be with us for many seasons.

There’s no doubt that Crawford is a bit lacking defensively but I can remember year on year (and I’m not directly comparing the two as being in the same league ) but Hotham used to get the same type grief off certain posters.
Register also

Slartibartfast

Todd described Register as a great player but a high risk player which is often the case with offensive defensivemen. You have to balance them with the right stay at home defenceman.
I didn't like Crawford to start with but Im warming to him. He is offering a lot offensively and I think we will see more from him as the season progresses. The jury is still out on Thompson for me. I would like to see him take the body a lot more and improve his passing accuracy.