Devils Vs Panthers - League - 29th Jan 22

jenks33

I do find it quite amusing how quiet this thread is, and wondering where are all those posters who were very quick to jump on here earlier on in the season to give their opinions. Maybe a bit embarrassed with their comments regarding players and coach perhaps? Or maybe embarrassed to be proven wrong.

Anyway, the way this team have played this past month have played as well as any team under Lord, I think. If we can continue this way we will push Sheffield all the way, and in with a real chance at play offs. Not bad for a season that was apparently over in November.
I’m sure a lot of fans are slightly embarrassed about what they said about Skalde a couple of months ago. Me being one. I thought he was the wrong appointment. The players certainly seem to be playing for him at the moment.

Regarding the players tho, were many people wrong? Most of the negative comments I read on here were about Dupont and O’Connor so I’m not sure it’s accurate to say the same roster have turned it around. I think the majority of fans knew that those two were a huge problem for us. I don’t like to pick on them but it’s just a fact. Coughler has brought the best out of Cox and Sanford and McNulty has been a calming influence back there.

august04 2.0

A great comeback for the fans at IAW and those two changes (plus the addition of Brandt) have made all the difference. I wish we'd made them a month earlier, we'd be right in the title race if we had. As it is, I think those Sheffield games in hand, might be just a little too much for us to overcome. We are playing with much more energy and physicality in all forward lines, and no longer carrying any passengers - which we clearly were before Coughler came in. And defensively, we look much more secure and are not giving away anywhere near as many odd man rushes since O'Connor left and McNulty came in. Goaltending remains as good as ever. But I sense there is more togetherness in this team now, they seem to have each other’s backs now and we're playing with a real intensity and physical edge, which we just didn’t have before. And I have to say, the third line of Davies, Duggan and Waller are playing absolutely brilliantly in all situations - they’ve become the real heartbeat of this team now. And Batch has been superb of late too - if Tetlow gets in that GB team and he’s doesn’t, well it would be a travesty. And I have no problem with what Louis did yesterday either. It's about time that teams were sent a message that things have changed now when they come to IAW. The mediocrity, lack of passion and physicality that we saw far too often earlier in the season at home games, has now gone. Hopefully, for the rest of the season too. A very enjoyable return.

Diablo3

I have to say, earlier in the season the Panthers would have bullied us off the puck, they tried the same tonight, but this is a different Devils team now as they found out. Anyone in the team is willing to take them on. summed up by Brandt at 5'7" dropping the gloves and giving a good account of himself in the third. We are not out of the race yet, lets see what happens next weekend.

E.D.S.

I’m sure a lot of fans are slightly embarrassed about what they said about Skalde a couple of months ago. Me being one. I thought he was the wrong appointment. The players certainly seem to be playing for him at the moment.

Regarding the players tho, were many people wrong? Most of the negative comments I read on here were about Dupont and O’Connor so I’m not sure it’s accurate to say the same roster have turned it around. I think the majority of fans knew that those two were a huge problem for us. I don’t like to pick on them but it’s just a fact. Coughler has brought the best out of Cox and Sanford and McNulty has been a calming influence back there.
Agree. Nothing wrong in constructive criticism. We had a group of players not playing for each other, playing a style of game that didn’t suit them and the league, plus we had players that we’rent pulling their weight and looked like poor recruitment choices. This went on for months. Fans were right to call this out. As I’ve said before, those that stepped over the line of constructive criticism and made it personal won’t have the emotional intelligence to be embarrassed but comparing this teams performance to the start of the season is chalk and cheese. You could almost argue that those that came out and constructively criticised were right to do so as things have now changed (I’m not saying they changed because they were coming out and criticising) but amongst the total numptys that appear from time to time on this forum theres also a core of educated hockey fans. Look at what’s changed….the personnel has now changed, the style of hockey has now changed but that early start is why we’re in the position we are with the points in the bag but not the games. Long way to go, let’s see how we fair when we’ve played Giants and Steelers a few more times but this is very positive. Some convincing wins with dominant performances. More importantly for me…. A brand of hockey I actually want to watch - win or lose - and a team I believe in.

Slartibartfast

Welcome back old time hockey. The physicality that a lot of us have been missing returned this weekend big time. Regarding Louis, I thought he intended just an aggressive check (which we want) but it was unfortunate that the guy turned into him at the wrong moment leading to contact to the head. Its always a risk when a big guy checks a little guy. Its noones fault. It just happens and the rules have to protect the players so the ban is right.

But its not just the physicality that was great. Duggans goal was sublime and those of us behind the goal could see by his face that he knew it. (Think 'engage smug mode' for any Red Dwarf fans). It may be goal of the week but Sanfords goal straight after could take that accolade also.

McNulty and Coughler have made a big difference and I keep mistaking McNulty for Register as like Register he nearly always comes out of his corner puck battles with the puck. But I think this is more than just the addition of 3 new players. This teams looks happy. Morale looks high. I think that for whatever reason the changing room is happier. Sometimes chemistry is as important off the ice as on the ice.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #50
The thing about those two games, ok it was Fife, and possibly the worst Panthers team I’ve seen, but the games were fun. Not sure if the arrival of Brandt has inspired the rest of the team to up their checking but it’s not just him. We showed we wouldn’t be bullied or intimidated and stuck up for each other without hesitation. We scored great goals and were tight at the back. 9 goals v 1 against is a pretty good tally for the weekend :) It felt more like the brand of hockey we had in the tent (but at a higher level). I know other teams are going to require us to change how we approach them but both those games were a lot of fun to watch. Long may it continue

Devil94

Get over it mate Lord was a great coach and player but he is gone I’m not one of those coming out of hibernation like you quoted I’ve been a devil fan since the 1990s so shut your mouth
The Lord comment was not the point of my post. It was just to say how well THIS team is playing, not Lords'. The point of my post was wondering if some people are embarrassed by their earlier comments. And I'm not talking about those saying we weren't playing well, or we needed new players, because both those things were true.

I'm talking about comments like this one, from yourself, only 6 short weeks ago. "I can’t believe mr king hasn’t commented on the teams performance, the team and coach are not worthy of wearing the devils jersey, they should grow some balls".

"Sack the coach ,DuPont and and get in someone to work along side franny this coaching team is shit bring in Thompson he would kick arse and get results". That was just 5 weeks ago.

I don't want to pick on just you specifically, because there was a few posters with similar comments. But seen as you took the bait. As a 'fan since the 90s' I thought you would have more wisdom than that.

matbur

I do find it quite amusing how quiet this thread is, and wondering where are all those posters who were very quick to jump on here earlier on in the season to give their opinions. Maybe a bit embarrassed with their comments regarding players and coach perhaps? Or maybe embarrassed to be proven wrong.

Anyway, the way this team have played this past month have played as well as any team under Lord, I think. If we can continue this way we will push Sheffield all the way, and in with a real chance at play offs. Not bad for a season that was apparently over in November.
Have to agree with this. I wrote a very similar post last night but decided against posting it.

Nothing has been won yet but this team are undeniably playing some good stuff, are able to mix it up and the line-up is contributing from top to bottom, backed up by two very good goaltenders. We're in very good shape and have come a long way since the start of the season.

Credit has to go to Jarrod Skalde, his off ice team and the players for coming through the mishmash of performances we saw earlier in the season.

Some lessons to be learnt here for some, who will do well to make a mental note of how the team has evolved.

We might have some more bumps and challenges along the way at some point, but Skalde has shown he can pull the team together and fix things.

Onwards and upwards!

Mazzoak

Yes their quick to praise when winning and even quicker to criticise when loosing, some are still here praising the team, you can feel their pain in their praise.
If you look at the timeline realistically Skalde has shown his class, remember he’s not experienced the EIHL prior to arriving, Lord had built that knowledge over several yrs.
Also budget restricted, 18 month lockdown, a whole set of negative circumstances that would have fully justified a dire season, yet here we are, after only a couple of poor months and two removed players. Makes those comments about sacking the team, the coach, bringing in Thommo even more hilariously ridiculous.........
Another amazing performance, 4pts against reasonable competition, we’ve still got a lot to do, to prove, it’s still going to be a rollercoaster ride.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

I think our only hope of the league now is if our ability to keep playing whilst other teams were in covid protocols pay off as other teams tire or gain injury due to the schedule.
I‘ll take that, if we do that’ll be one hell of a salty backlash, which‘ll making it even more sweet.

Last edited:

jenks33

Yes their quick to praise when winning and even quicker to criticise when loosing, some are still here praising the team, you can feel their pain in their praise.
If you look at the timeline realistically Skalde has shown his class, remember he’s not experienced the EIHL prior to arriving, Lord had built that knowledge over several yrs.
Also budget restricted, 18 month lockdown, a whole set of negative circumstances that would have fully justified a dire season, yet here we are, after only a couple of poor months and two removed players. Makes those comments about sacking the team, the coach, bringing in Thommo even more hilariously ridiculous.........
Another amazing performance, 4pts against reasonable competition, we’ve still got a lot to do, to prove, it’s still going to be a rollercoaster ride.
*They’re quick to praise
*Losing
-Lord’s first season in charge was arguably one of the most enjoyable in Devils history so that’s a nonsense comment.
- Budget restrictions and 18 months lockdown for every team not just the Devils.
- Two players removed is quite a big change. We’ve seen the addition of one player (Strachan) transform a season in the past.
- Who wanted Thommo?

Apart from that. A Perfect assessment Mazzoak…

BostonBart22

Another great game, didnt think we could follow the fife game with another barnstormer , bit slow first period but picked it up last 2, Panthers looked tired 3rd period some plays five on five were like powerplays, its still in our hands for the lge but we gotta beat belfast and steelers in our 2 games each against them, and by god its doable the way we are playing. and let them battle it out for runners up...

moggy#9

I think that at the time there were quite a few of us who were very frustrated at obvious flaws in the team, but nothing being done to correct them. The chopping and changing of lines just disrupted chemistry and moved issues around. It looked like we were trying to play a certain type of game, but with players unsuited to that. The obvious explanation was that we'd not signed the right sort of players for this league. Credit to the coach for resolving things, but no one could deny that problems existed.

The massive turnaround in performance didn't appear out of thin air though. Just cutting BOC probably reduced or goals conceded by a couple a game, McNulty has added a solidity to the back line that we simply lacked before. Meanwhile having a bona fide offensive centre has allowed all of the other lines to settle.

Am I embarrassed by my opinions at the time. Not really. Based on the evidence at the time I still feel they were valid, though perhaps overly negative. Am I relieved that my natural pessimism has been shown to be too extreme, absolutely. But, I firmly believe that if we'd stayed on the same track we'd have ended up outside the top 3 or 4, possibly lower.

I think that a more interesting question is about decisions made at the outset that were criticised but ultimately proved right. The goalie tandem and cutting Myers in favour of Waller being there obvious examples.

For the remainder of the season though, the question is whether the improvement in form will be enough to catch the Steelers. If not, I'd settle for a place in the continental cup and a strong foundation fort next season.

The Lord comment was not the point of my post. It was just to say how well THIS team is playing, not Lords'. The point of my post was wondering if some people are embarrassed by their earlier comments. And I'm not talking about those saying we weren't playing well, or we needed new players, because both those things were true.

I'm talking about comments like this one, from yourself, only 6 short weeks ago. "I can’t believe mr king hasn’t commented on the teams performance, the team and coach are not worthy of wearing the devils jersey, they should grow some balls".

"Sack the coach ,DuPont and and get in someone to work along side franny this coaching team is shit bring in Thompson he would kick arse and get results". That was just 5 weeks ago.

I don't want to pick on just you specifically, because there was a few posters with similar comments. But seen as you took the bait. As a 'fan since the 90s' I thought you would have more wisdom than that.
you are talking a load of shit mate the team was shit earlier on this season and everyone could see that but the coach has turned it around and the team looks and are playing great hockey now, maybe you should go into hibernation you low life , every one is entitled to their own opinion and this is mine !